I want to learn

I've recently started coming on this board, if I'm being honest it's not where I belong. I'm more of a /pol/ guy. I enjoy philosophy and do well in anything involving English or deep thought. Often times I'm paraded around the classroom as if I'm the Magnus Opus of giving quotes or ideas. There's one problem though. I'm terrible at math. As much as I like thinking I'm a "big brained nibba" I just can't get over the fact that math is truely where the power of the brain can come into effect. While a stoner can ask "why" a mathematician or some user who loves math greatly can get what seems to be a impossible problem solved. I want to learn. In fact I need to learn. Watching myself in a math class is pathetic. My academic prowness goes out the window and I feel greatly out of place. All I need is something. Anything that you guys have that can perhaps teach me to become better. Programs, books, advice, etc. A avid reader can become a lawyer or politician. But a true genuis in my eyes can solve any problem that you throw at him.

Where I am now: Senior, Algebra 2.

It's dissaponting compared to the standards of this board. But I'm willing to start anywhere to improve.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g3qtjcsf4sY&list=PL5Y01D9mNkO8PcdgTyLJYcVJo9O906tIy&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=MVJXi6IXWyI
youtube.com/watch?v=pp06oGD4m00&t=1562s
youtube.com/channel/UCYO_jab_esuFRV4b17AJtAw/featured?disable_polymer=1
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Senior algebra 2
>pol
make sense. you wanna start somewhere? stop going on pol

Help him faggota

Scrutiny is all apart of the process I understand, but scrutinizing the beggar is a cheap shot. You must be a fellow brainlet.

Start with arithmetic! Even a review wouldn't hurt, almost all problems in mathematics will boil down to arithmetic, so you want a strong foundation. My favorite lectures of this subject are by Herb Gross:

youtube.com/watch?v=g3qtjcsf4sY&list=PL5Y01D9mNkO8PcdgTyLJYcVJo9O906tIy&index=1

I think he even talks over the phone if you call, but he's really old now so I'm not sure.

>But a true genuis in my eyes can solve any problem that you throw at him.
Not really, geniuses typically excel only in their area of expertise. No one can be great at everything. I'm sure that a lot of artistic genius we know of didn't really care for math and science.
> Anything that you guys have that can perhaps teach me to become better.
Pick up a book and start practicing. There's nothing else to it.

This is true. All the math you can think of boils down to arithmetic.

I remember entering Calculus class thinking to myself that this shit isn't even hard, it's the basic math that really messes you up. The memes were a lie.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Unless you have strong foundations, you're gonna go nowhere. If you're willing to put in the effort, you will get the most out of it. If you take 3 hours to solve a problem and get the wrong solution, you will learn more than reading the solution directly from the back of the book.

With that said, what are the foundations? At your level it is arithmetic, geometry and algebra.

Arithmetic is the least important of the 3, in the sense that arithmetical computations are mostly irrelevant in mathematics. However, the way that it requires you to think for some problems is a nice and intuitive introduction to algebra. Also note that in ancient Greece, arithmetic was purely geometric, whereby one would add lines and angles. You could probably pick up any book on arithmetic that does the job, but Khan Academy is good too (at x1.5 speed for your own mental well being).

For the next two, you will most likely want to read all of I.M. Gelfand's books:
>Trigonometry
>Algebra
>The method of coordinates
>Functions and graphs

After you're done with this, you want to create intuition (and give source to a lot of examples) for analysis, and that is best done through unrigorous calculus on the level of Stewart.

All these were baby steps. Before you can put your foot in proper mathematics, you need to gain some maturity. This step is essential. You need to read at least one book on proofs: Velleman or Polya are good.

Now you can enter the world of proper mathematics. The foundations here are (more meme arrows imply you need the one above in general):
>Set theory (not recommended, most books on other topics give all you need of this)
>Linear algebra
>>Abstract algebra
>Real Analysis
>>Complex analysis
>>Point-set Topology

Do you think someone who isn't a genius can excel in mathematics with effort and in doing so improve his thinking?

Not that guy but,

I'm half convinced that aptitude in maths is a mixture between creativity and general cleverness, moreso than general intelligence.
A genius wouldn't stop at understanding current maths, they would pioneer new maths. And I think that's where intelligence really comes into play.
/opinion

i'm a stoner and i'm good at math :(. the most important thing for math is having a logical perspective on things, it can be confusing at first but if you truly learn and practice on your math after a while it all just falls in place and starts to connect.

the advice in this thread is pretty good, but if you actually are into the drivel on /pol/ you might be hopeless

not OP but in what order should one complete the gelfand books?

Someone who isn't a genius may not necessarily break ground in the advancement of math, although possible, it is hard. That doesn't mean however that you can't eventually understand the math that you set yourself out to understand. It may take longer for some, but it is achievable unless you are literally retarded, in the actual sense of the word.

Algebra then functions and graphs then trig then method of coordinates

The drivivel on pol is entertainment. If you believe any word of it at all times you're a fool. It's not like I believe anything crazy. I'm simply there for the memes and for the occasional good thread. Sure I click on funny threads but it's not like I eat it up like information, rather I look at it like a mental cookie that is fun to read and has entertaining memes.

That's great. I appreciate the time you put into typing this so far it been the most help I've had, thanks. Is proper mathematics more than just reading? Or do I need to generate worksheets as well before moving on to the next subject? How exactly do I balance this out? 1-2 worsheets until I understand it. Or keep going until I master each individualy? I look forward to the response, thanks again.

My generality on stoners was just off the ones I've met. As far as I'm concerned you're pretty lucky.

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

Fuck off /pol/
Veeky Forums is where anons come once they realize that Ashkenazi is the true masterrace

You HAVE to do exercises to understand the material. If you don't, you might as well have done nothing. Telling you to do all the exercises in a book is a bit ambitious, especially in books like Stewart which has thousands, but both Khan Academy and Gelfand has exercises after each section. You should do all of them in KA and appropriate ones in Gelfand (ie: not just doing exercises which are the same with different numbers, but instead that make you think differently)

I'm not gonna drag that in here, I'm just here to Learn ;^)

Alright thanks for the clarification. I was thinking "man if I have to do all exercises won't that be a bit much?" Nonetheless thanks for the clarification.

>typing "pol"
why do people do this? are they really that fucking lazy, or just newfags? anyways, i know /pol/ types who are far beyond algebra 2 in terms of math. so get over yourself faggot

Bump.

Perhaps that you're not meant to do math, just accept it.
No one knows everything, and the true genius you're talking about doesn't exist, those who exist know that outside of their sector they don't know much and are better off just living the question for someone better fit for the question.

>Not starting each sentence and with capital letter
Why do people do this? Are they really that fucking lazy, or just newfags? Anyways, I know /pol/ types who are far beyond algebra 2 in terms of math. So get over yourself faggot

I guess, it's true that the caricature I sort of describe is about as desirable as a "big brain nibba's" version of James Bond. In the sense that it's unrealistic. However I think to strive for a picturesque future self isn't harmful. I do appreciate the concern though.

>>Not ending each sentence with a period.
Why do people do this? Are they really that fucking lazy, or just newfags? Anyways, I know /pol/ types who are far beyond algebra 2 in terms of math. So get over yourself faggot.

start here
youtube.com/watch?v=MVJXi6IXWyI

this thread already has a bunch of replied and a lot of them are good. i just wanna say that admitting that theres a problem is the first step to fixing it. identifying the source always comes after that. youre on track op, go and get it

Khan Academy is a great place to learn math through DiffEq. I used to be like you -- a faggot who loved reading, writing, speech, and debate in general, but performed poorly with math/science. I failed Chem my sophomore year, and pre cal the year after. I had a great AP Bio teacher who really got me into science in general, and an even better Cal AB teacher who essentially showed me that math was only as difficult as I made it. They helped me develop genuine interests in the subjects, but Khan Academy helped me pursue the interests.

I'm now a junior in college studying Biomedical Engineering. Cal 1-3, Chem 1-2. and Calc-based Physics 1-2 were GPA boosters with the help of KA. I aced Ochem 1-2 with the in-depth, hours upon hours of content on the website, and got a B+ in my combined LinAlg/DiffEq eMath course.

What's particularly helpful about Khan Academy is the range of topics you can access. If you're having a hard time on a particular section of whatever you're studying because you forgot some of the prerequisite knowledge, you can refresh yourself with the corresponding videos in, at most, an hour. The short videos make it easy to stay focused, and the practice sections allow you to test what you've learned.

tl;dr: Khan Academy

Lmao.

Thanks, bro it's good to see where you started and how you got there. It motivates me more than you know. It's also reassuring that you started in a similar position as me. I'll be sure to use Khan.

My bad forgot to state that it's me.

Watch Numberphile on youtube and get interested in mathematics, the rest will follow

at least thats how it happened with me

This. Math becomes so much more interesting when you take a glance at how truly complex it can be. Check out the Numberphile vid on the Reimann Hypothesis/any of the millennial problems

fucking rewatching it right now

Another video, albeit a long one, is a UCLA lecture of Dr. Terry Tao on the gaps between prime numbers
youtube.com/watch?v=pp06oGD4m00&t=1562s

fucking classic, cheers

Yeah I agree, and I know I will get flak for this but I really like vsauce's video on set theory and infinite, showed me how deep and interesting math can really be. Currently in calc 2 now and I am just fascinated with some of these topics, every day I notice more and more how much more interesting pure math is than applied, although I still have great love for physics.

fuck i forgot someone really important

watch 3b1b

youtube.com/channel/UCYO_jab_esuFRV4b17AJtAw/featured?disable_polymer=1

>IM SO SMART XDDDD
>BUT IM BAD AT MATHS ):
You have a massive ego. Way too much pride. It's cringey how you had to get defensive and come up with a longwinded rant about how you're smart before despite being bad at math. As if it fucking matters. No one needs your backstory you delusional moron. Just ask your question.

This.
Get good at the basics.
90% of mistakes made by my physics and calc students are after they've worked an equation and they fudge the math.
Pay real close attention to laws of exponents and how to work your way around a set of parentheses at the beginning of your studies. And for heaven's sake get on that long division. It will come in handy later.

>/pol/
>Know-nothing teenage narcissist
Everything checks out

Yes. Einstein was an idea man. He didn't even do his own math. He hired someone. Math is good for your brain, but make sure to mix it up with something purely creative or your kids will be autistic.

These guys are correct, OP.
You take yourself way too seriously, and you act like you want affirmation of your intelligence despite your shortcomings. Here's a little piece of advice, slick: try being humble instead of a pseud, and you might end up being more successful

Read the ducking sticky and read about this:
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
Thank me later, brainlet.

Read and do problems from a calculus book.
Make sure the author has a russian name

Actually the top 5 countries for fields medals are:
>1: The United States
>2: France
>3: The Russian Federation
>4: The United Kingdom
>5: Germany
So really, pick one from any of these.

#
Yeah,I just started watching Herb Gross and am currently looking for a PDF of his text book on arithmetic I'm liking his style. Thanks for the advice lad.

#
Don't be a tiger mom got it.

#
#
Just curious is a Russian author a meme? Or does it so happen that more of them genuinely have higher quality text books? Remember I'm new to this board.

Not what I came here for, I'm here to learn and get help not waste my time.

While your criticism sounds more constructive, I disagree. If I came off as pompous it wasn't my intention. If I had a large ego I wouldn't be asking for help.

Sorry lad I didnt mean to put "lmao" on your post but on the one above. I agree, I've already started laying down some goals and dates to get them done by. Once again thanks.

Holy shit just watched it. Peak interest now.

Will watch later.

Already ahead of you bud. Subbed yesterday ;)

Ever heard of a sticky? A search engine? Wow. I have zero hope for humanity. If I were an alien race, then this planet would be wholefully ignored. They're going to wipe themselves out in a short period. No point in bothering with those apes.

I honestly had to google this because I thought it was a copypasta. You're actually autistic.

This very much
I slacked off for algebra 1 and geometry and I though I got As is pre Calc, trig and ap Calc, it was hard because I just didn't know things that other people knew from not being retards in 8th grade.

no love for differential equations?

Dude, first of all focus on doing well in high school and have fun with life. You do math for a hobby or a career because you enjoy it. After you graduate high school spend 15 dollars and buy Ian Stewart's 'Concepts of Modern Mathematics.' If you like it or are intrigued then go to a community college and start doing math. Otherwise find something you love and learn about that, or just keep shitposting on /pol/ and feeling like an academic.

Yeah I never really paid attention to well in math class during those years as well. Which is a large reason why I want to learn. I sort of enjoy a challenge a bit more now.

I'm doing well in high school, I'm just more afraid of what lies ahead of me math wise in college. Also pro: tip, don't post on /pol/ just farm the memes. Thanks for the advice.

If you are afraid of math, you will never learn.

Yeppers I understand that. Which is the reason why I'm here and the reason why I'm watching videos that you guys link or books you recommend.

>I'm afraid of what lies ahead
>I'm not afraid

so which is it user

Any basic differential equations is included in Stewart calculus, and any proper treatment is part of analysis anyways. Regardless, it's not foundational

>basic differential equations

that's baby math, user. Does real analysis cover the hardcore shit?

From the recent words of Herb Gross he says "people are afraid of math because they don't understand the language." So what I'm trying to say is I'm afraid now. However my goal eventually is not to be fearful of it. So in order to do that you need to learn to understand the "language"

Given that most of the research in analysis right now is PDEs, I'd suppose

too much time on Unix systems has made us forget that capital letters are used elsewhere besides acronyms and names

>is a Russian author a meme
Russian textbooks (at least old ones) have good, no bullshit and straight-to-the-point, analyses and problems. They're (imo) good but their style isn't for everyone.

Fpbp

tfw I excel in linguistics but gotta bust my ass to solve high school level calculus problems.

This gift is great, but I wish I had aptitude in more meaningful areas.

If you enjoy /pol/ you might have brain cancer. To reach enlightenment one must expose themselves to intellectual humor, like The Filthy Frank Show, or some form of post ironic literature for the purpose of enhancing your sense of esoteric humor.

>>>Writing a separate sentence that starts with "So".
Why do people do this? Are they really that fucking lazy, or just newfags? Anyways, I know /pol/ types who are far beyond algebra 2 in terms of math, so get over yourself faggot.

Most soviet books that are worth getting (over their western counterparts) were written mainly for physicists, like Shilov or Kostrikin, and are great for building intuition.
For modern russian books, the soviet method is still there in books like Zorich, Vinberg or Prasolev, but the influence from west is noticable and i would probably pick western books (or rather soviet) on these topics, except Zorich's anal which is exquisite as an introduction.

I see, are the translations good? Is the book more downside than their western counterparts?

Good meme.

More expensive*

Muh bad.

Since i know russian, i can't compare most of the books. I can only vouch for Shilov and Zorich, both have good translations (though nothing exceptional) and i hear good things about Kostrikin,Manin from people i trust.
Also worth noting, though not a math book, is the theoretical physics bible by Landau which does have an amazing translation. It helps with intuition on lingebra, anal, even topology. If there is one thing anyone interested in science should read at some point, Landau is that thing. One finds it hard to believe it was originally meant for (talented) undergraduates interested in theory.

>tfw everyone at my school thought I was a stoner when I've smoked like 5 times in my life and don't even drink.

Ok, since it's highschool everything is pretty formulaic. What you want to do is to take the time to intuitively demonstrate those formulas for yourself. Draw parallels between the formulas. Play around with them. Make it a habit.
This way you get an understanding of how things work. The rest is practice.

Thanks Russian bro, good to have some insight. Especially someone that has read the original copies.

I see, so the more creative you get with it the better you sort of know it? So for example if I made myself or someone made me a very standard problem I'd sort of go through the motions and not exactly know what I'm doing but still know the answers. However, if I take the time to sort of mess with it in a more radical way I could genuinely understand it and instead of following or remembering a fourmula I'd instead understand the problem and fourmula and not go through the motions. Making myself better at remembering the subject for a later date and not relying on remembering fourmulas. If so I'll start doing that. I just read up that 1-2 hours a day should be dedicated to math to improve.

I used to be a brainlet like you, then I stopped going to /pol/ or stopped taking 99% of them seriously.
That is, seriously, the first step.

German cuck, i learned russian in highschool specifically to read soviet books on math/physics.
Play around with IMO problems, they are great for learning how to connect what you have learned. They might be challenging at first, but give it a few weeks, just play around with it. You'll learn a lot even if you can't solve it, just from your attempts. Work on multiple in parallel so if you get tired of one, you can go to another. IMO was probably the best tool i had in highschool to *really* get it through and understand math.

>taking pol seriously
I just go there for the memes and watching them chimp out over happening.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to mess with them daily now.

Disregard that I love cocks