What literature do I start with if I'm having suicidal thoughts and want to find some kind of purpose or reason to live?

What literature do I start with if I'm having suicidal thoughts and want to find some kind of purpose or reason to live?

The Temple of the Golden Pavilion

Ride the Tiger my brother

Aside from the obvious recommendation of getting help and talking about your problems, I would say read Siddhartha. It's a story about a lost man's spiritual journey, and it's really helpful to read if you grapple with personal philosophy and finding meaning in yourself.
Hope things get better for you, user. Please don't fight it alone.

Nietzsche

anti depressants and therapy for fun and profit.
i'm serious. looking for books to help with serious mental issues is yoga-in-the-morning-and-kale-smoothie-against-severe-depression esoteric bullshit tier.
get help, then you can get books on the subject.

Lift weights.

Start with the wise literary words of this post:

What you are experiencing is natural. Just observe the thoughts. Realize that they are temporary, and not you. Look and them. Look at them and laugh at them. This is how you overcome them. With time. Time heals all wounds. Literally.

>What you are experiencing is natural.
suicidal thoughts and existential ennui is not the same thing. Don't tell someone who's thinking of killing themselves it's natural. That's not a good idea. Don't do this.

Telling people that their mental illnesses are normal is the same as telling them there's no reason to get help because it's not a big deal.

if you do off yourself, kill some politicians before you do it and your death will be a worthy one

Ignore everyone in this thread and read Epictetus first.

>suicidal thoughts and existential ennui is not the same thing
Fine line?

>Don't tell someone who's thinking of killing themselves it's natural.
Is it not? Is this not part of the fundamentals of life?

>That's not a good idea. Don't do this.
Ok. Fine.

>Telling people that their mental illnesses are normal
>mental illness
>normal
I don't believe in either definition. But maybe one may have to in the current year.

>there's no reason to get help because it's not a big deal.
Beautifully put, for many, many reasons.

we still alas, cannot forestall it
this dreadful ailments heavy toll
the spleen is what the English call it
we call it simply Russian soul

twas this our hero had contracted
and though, thank god, he never acted
to put a bullet through his head
his former love of life was dead

through drawing rooms hed pass and stare
but neither whist, nor gossip there
nor wanton sighs, nor tender glances,
no nothing touched his sombre heart
he noticed nothing, took no part

>I don't believe in either definition. But maybe one may have to in the current year.
What are you, 16? Get seriously fucked.

Mental Illness is disordered behavior, emotions or thoughts that impacts the quality of your life and your ability to pursue and sustain your quality of life.

k

You need something to lift your spirits my friend.
Try "wind in the willows". Nice little distraction and comfy.

dude, point is...this artificial capitalist society you find yourself in...it's not exactly natural. suburban blight has been written about for ages now. so has the decline of "God". all that matters is that you are alive. you are alive, captain. that is the truth. this is your reason to live. I know you won't really kill yourself. It's against your nature. But if you do, I will vouch for you in the afterlife. I will. I'm a man of my word.

I would actually say anti depressants are probably a bad idea as well. They eventually stop working.

Yeah. My experiance with them aren't great either. Not so much that they stop working, but more like they don't work right to begin with- right now I'm taking a combination of mirtazapin and escitalopram and for the first time in 10 years, I actually feel normal. I also know people that have been taking the same meds for decades.

>mirtazapin and escitalopram
>I actually feel normal
problem is, pic related. I would have loved you before them.

>inb4 ants

Yeah, well, I can get up at 8 in the morning and do everything I set out to do instead of cry, so I honestly don't give a shit what you think.

>I honestly don't give a shit what you think.
Nor should you. I know nothing of you reality. But I'm glad you found the right chemical vector for yourself to accomplish your goals. I'm not judging you in any way. Mainly, I'm curious if your a victim of your genetics or your environment, or perhaps both. i.e. the truth. Either way, I appreciate the so-called "abnormal". So valuable. So much to love.

Dostoevsky
Camus

>or perhaps both
Also forgot: or perhaps none. i.e. Does nature make mistakes? Is this possible? I have never judged a bird for it's ability to fly, nor a bird for its ability to swim, though Attenborough has shown me both, to some small insignificant degree. Point is: nature acts, men argue?