Polyglots

Is there a limit to how many languages you can become fluent in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3oef68YabD0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Neurologically, would there be a maximum amount of characters, words, sounds and speech patterns that you could memorize?

I believe that the limit is. Limit is depend from quality of individumm's brain and memory. Nobody's perfect. Heads of boozer not-surprisingly do mental work worse then heads of water-drinkers.

yes there's a limit. and for many people they're at the lower limit of zero

Yes, there is, your brain is limited
It depends a lot of how your brain is being used, an autist is really good with number because the part which deals with human interactions is basically overridden by other parts.

A normal human being, can speak a lot of languages and while I canĀ“t say for sure how many, I can say that learning to many languages will impact negatively in the way of how you learn new things.

Einstein knew German and french(and had a bad english as they used to say) but even so his grades in french were not that good.

It depends on what you are going to focus... If you are in pursuit of a field which has plenty of mathematics, it is unnecessary, learn english, maybe a second language and you are fine.

Of course there is, no matter how proficient you get in a language, you start to lose that proficiency as you stop using it. Say you learn 5 languages. Well unless you use all 5 of them equally throughout every single day, there will be one or more of those 5 that you start to lose proficiency in. The brain is just wired like this, it's designed to conserve information and neural pathways that are used more often. This is where the phrase "if you don't use it you lose it" is derived, and this is one of the disadvantages of our neural plasticity.

There are a finite number of languages.

All these brainlets. There's no limit.

If you dedicate all your time to language learning you can do it.

Also most language families have patterns which are also intuinitive to learn so you can learn lots by knowing a few.

Sci is the most pessimistic brainlet board fuck I wanna fight you soyboys.

How the fuck could anyone answer that?

how many unique (differently patterned) language do you think you could manage?
and how big are you?

You don't know what you're talking about. Just because you're not 100% proficient doesn't mean you just stop knowing. You will immediately recover your skills from some review. The world record holder knows like 60 languages.

Well there's a finite number of speech sounds so kys faggot

>mfw Veeky Forums brainlets try to think about language while i sit here with my linguistics degree being vastly superior

>There's no limit.
There is, though.

See:

>mfw linguistics brainlets try to think about language while I sit here with my philosophy degree being vastly superior.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

>mfw philosophy brainlets try condescend linguistics brainlets trying to think about language while I sit here with my liberal arts degree being vastly superior.

He's right you know

>mfw liberal arts brainlets try condescend linguistics brainlets trying to think about language while I sit here with my anthropology degree being vastly superior.

> Heads of boozer not-surprisingly do mental work worse then heads of water-drinkers.
youtube.com/watch?v=3oef68YabD0

Yes, because we all die. If you take three months to become fluent in one (while maintaining it in every other one you've learned so far), that limits you to about 40/decade or 280 in your life.

>Just because you're not 100% proficient doesn't mean you just stop knowing
You don't know what you're talking about, where did I imply that in my post? I said when you don't use a language your proficiency deteriorates, which is a fact. Unless you keep reviewing every single day, you will lose your fluency. Nice dunning-kruger though.

YOU are dunning-kruger!

>The brain is designed!
>Calling other people a DK.
Hypocrite.

>your brain is limited
Kys

you don't become fluent in tree months in any language unless you're living in a setting where you have to speak, listen, read and write it every day

>
besides english what is the second most financially beneficial language to learn?

Yes, but it's probably fairly high. Memory can be lumped together and consolidated pretty efficiently. It's ultimately mainly the categorical and conceptual mapping that would start breaking down.

>mfw when I just sit here being and doing anything being vastly superior

Wouldn't it be the opposite? As in, the concepts might be memorized efficiently but the specificities (such as vocabulary) would start breaking down?

T. Monolingual retard

Going for the max number of languages, I was assuming the person was very (but not autistically) intelligent and they're doing nothing else with their life, so just moving country to country as appropriate.

some dude think was record
knew 200 languages but could same time keep just 70

Verbal fluency is not the same as literary, additionally you dont need an extremely strong grasp of the grammar. I can speak some german and french and I can read simple pieces of literature if im given enough time. But i would absolutely fail the shit out of nearly any class in either of those languages.

Most likely the limit is what you can learn and retain. Very few could simultaneously retain fluency in 15 languages, primarily because you have to use them to retain them. It's also possible that your ability and intuition in these languages will be reduced by the amount that you are fluent in.