Should we colonize Titan?

Should we colonize Titan?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3658092/Astronauts-really-farm-food-Mars-Vegetables-grown-Martian-soil-safe-eat.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HdpRxGjtCo0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Temperature? Pressure? Atmosphere? Magnetic field? Oxygen? Water? Toxins?

no. It's too cold and dark.

for the necromorph harvest, yes

>no. It's too cold and dark.
Russians would feel right at home, then.

it's too cold for russians. Besides Russians want to colonize Venus instead.

Shouldn't we try and get to the Moon first?
For real this time, I mean.

Those are some cool looking colonies.

What if I told you there's natural gas. Oh yes, seas of precious hydrocarbons.

Too bad there's nothing to do on Venus and no reason to be there. "Atmospheric mining" oh sure let me mine all this useless carbon dioxide.

But that's bad for Earth's environment!

>hurr durr let's go to venus
>hurr durr 50km above the surface it's the most habitable place
Anybody who believes this is a fucking moron

Do you fucking realise just how expensive it would be to build a fucking space station that can exist as a floating city on Venus? And why the fuck would you put it there? Why? Why not just have that same station floating around Earth? It makes zero fucking sense

If we colonise Mars then we can SPREAD OUT, because there's lots of LAND where we can GROW STUFF (yes you can grow plants in Martian soil, NASA have already done it on Earth), and where you can build stuff as well.

>MUH FLOATING CITIES ON VENUS
Hahaha fuck off.

Literally this.

>grow plants in Martian soil, NASA have already done it on Earth
something is wrong with this

>And why the fuck would you put it there?
Same reason we send shit anywhere else in the solar system, and beyond: because we can.

also, breathable air is a lifting gas in the venusian atmosphere. you don't need any kind of expensive propulsion device, you just need a big enough bubble full of delicious nitrogen/oxygen to hold the weight of people, structures/equipment and supplies. there wouldn't even be explosive decompression at those altitudes if the bubble were pierced, you'd have plenty of time to repair the hole.

No. Titan will be fine.

>yes you can grow plants in Martian soil
Martian soil is full of perchlorates, and the plants that can survive that level of exposure readily pull it out of the soil, where it accumulates in the edible ports of the crop.

Also, perchlorates are poisonous and to my recollection nitrogen fixing bacteria are none too fond.

Will never be allowed on moral basis. Life might form there in gorrilla years so its wrong.

There is land on venus too, its just too hot for people

Yes, but humans shouldn't really be there or terraform it. Its cold temperature is perfect for computing.

Just put some of the ice from the ice giants on it, it will cool down in no time

[math]\color{yellow}s\color{yellow}u\color{yellow}r\color{yellow}e\color{yellow}, \space \color{yellow}I\color{yellow}\space \color{yellow}l\color{yellow}i\color{yellow}k\color{yellow}e\space \color{yellow}y\color{yellow}e\color{yellow}l\color{yellow}l\color{yellow}o\color{yellow}w[/math]

What the FUCK

is there water? can we make it warmer as easily as we can with Mars?

They've grown vegetables in artificial Mars soil, picture related

And apparently they don't kill you

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3658092/Astronauts-really-farm-food-Mars-Vegetables-grown-Martian-soil-safe-eat.html

BLAH BLAH BLAH LIFTING GAS BLAH BLAH BLAH

Same old shit and still no sense, you people are fucking ridiculous

And the pressure is 90x that of Earth so it will kill you instantly
And there's sulphuric acid everywhere

We've had this thread already. Floating cities would produce nothing of value, would be dependent on interplanetary imports for expansion and survival and would be at constant risk of massive catastrophic failure.

>muh "it can float with an internal pressure of 1atm"

Irrelevant. The weather and air composition of Venus is utterly hostile, at any altitude. One rupture and it's over, and you can never land for repairs, or make your own replacement parts.

>Floating cities would produce nothing of value
But if we can have solar freakin roadways, why not floating cities too

a: redundancies
b: you can get the resources to produce anything you want

Obviously specialized industries wouldn't be made on Venus for a while, but they can continually expand their colony through surface mining & cloud harvesting

[math]\mathcal{\color{yellow}S}\mathcal{\color{yellow}P}\underbrace{\hat{\mathbb{\color{yellow}O}}\hat{\mathbb{\color{yellow}O}}}\mathcal{\color{yellow}K}\mathcal{\color{yellow}E}\mathcal{\color{yellow}D}\color{yellow}?[/math]

Noone has any real idea of what Martian soil is like
Rovers & satellites can't tell shit until someone goes there to dig it up

Test
[math]\color{red}{test}[/math]

Test
[math]\color{red}{\text{Test}}[/math]

>people finally get to mars
>everything goes well
>even the soil seems fine
>but all water is D2O
wat do

Can't believe this hasn't been posted here yet

Should we colonize the sun?

Asking for a friend.

>simulated soil
>grown on earth in artificial conditions
Mars doesn't have the resources to turn their useless soil into plant food for humans. It would be a massive waste. All plants and healthy ecosystems rely on bacteria and in the soil. Even if there isn't poison in the soil itself the only way to do it would be with massive greenhouses that create earth-like conditions for the plants to thrive. No plant will grow on barren martian soil without heavy terraforming, which is as yet impossible.

The fact you need to cover and pressurize the whole area means that you want something more land efficient too

Accept that your body is going to be goofed all up, then become a deuterated compound.

>bacteria
I'm pretty sure NASA scientists would have accounted for that my friend!

>greenhouses
Sure, but greenhouses aren't exactly complex are they?

What's more complex - a bloody greenhouse, or a big fucking floating city on Venus?

Jupiter and Saturn's moons would be good for mining outposts. To supply closed oneil cylinder colonies at the jupiter/sun l4 and l5 orbits.

>Same old shit and still no sense, you people are fucking ridiculous

Take a look at yourself and make a change

>I'm pretty sure NASA scientists would have accounted for that my friend!

NASA scientists AKA government scientists AKA pseudo-scientists.

Too Cold even for Russians & Canadians

I suppose we could put a few O'Neill colonies in orbit around Titan, OP.

>They've grown vegetables in artificial Mars soil, picture related
You do realize that pic related is from the movie "The Martian", right?

EVERYTHING IS SO COOOOLLLLLLD
EVERYTHING IS SO DAAAAARRRRRK
Sounds like the perfect place for the dead

If you want O'Niell habitats then you want Moon and Mars colonization as a foothold for a space economy large and powerful enough to wrangle asteroid materials into planetary and lunar orbits.

>is there water?
Venus is the driest object in the solar system by far.

>can we make it warmer
Nigga Venus' surface temperature is over 400 degrees C, we need to cool it down somehow by about 380 degrees

>what are scientific experiments and analysis of compounds done remotely
>what are probes specifically designed to investigate soil contents
>what are things we've already done and acquired a data set for

downvoted

fuck that guy, believes in unlimited human potential but can't sit down for an afternoon and train himself to properly pronounce a letter

>All plants and healthy ecosystems rely on bacteria and in the soil
Hydroponics exist, your argument is invalid. You can grow plants in fucking hydrated gel balls, they're not as picky as you think. Soil bacteria are incredibly easy to transport and they aren't vital except for in the very long run. All plants will be grown indoors so any mention of Mars' hostile conditions are irrelevant.

planet size Titan Ai Manufactorim when?

There is nothing wrong with Martian soil its the same composition as Earth, the problem is the plants growing on Mars with constant UV exposure, no water, and barely any freaking sunlight compared to earth that is the issue with agriculture on Mars.

If we are colonize Mars, you need to send robots that create massive greenhouses and then plant and harvest the crops, then freeze them to preserve them until he have enough crops for a small human population to live a year on.

Martian year or Terran year

[math]\color{orange}{\mathfrak{RAREST\ PEPE}}[/math]

I'd like to colonize Uranus

>Should we colonize Titan?
Yeh, go ahead.

There's 5 times more nitrogen, one of the most useful gases, on Venus than Earth.

all you need to do is copy some enzyme that reduces perchlorate (to chloride) into the plant and you're good to go. plants on earth don't have perchlorate-reducing enzymes because they don't need them, not because they can't.