Is anti-aging research the most underrated field?

Is anti-aging research the most underrated field?

Keeping the Erdos' or Einsteins of the world at a spry age of 25 until they get hit by a truck or whatever seems like a ridiculous force multiplier.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii
pnas.org/content/early/2017/10/25/1618854114.full
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's not studied much because it's realistically impossible.
The only way to stop aging is to: a) stop cell division, or b) prevent telomeres from becoming frayed with each division of a cell

This is not at all feasible

I understand why A would be catastrophic for anything larger than a single cell. Why is B not possible?

>Keeping the Erdos' or Einsteins of the world at a spry age of 25 until they get hit by a truck or whatever seems like a ridiculous force multiplier.
Ah, so presumably you will be the one deciding who gets to live forever and who dies normally right? Or does everyone get to live forever, leaving no resources for future generations?

But we already know how to delay aging: caloric restriction throughout an individual's life. Not much else works.

Cuz cancer

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii
If a jellyfish can pull off that kind of stunt, then it is biologically possible.

Cell and genetic damage is probably inevitable, yes. But there's no reason that full repairs couldn't be done. It's just that evolution hasn't bothered to develop us that way.

Not everyone on earth has access to chemo. Why would telomere extension or mitochondrial replacement be any different?

>Not giving preferential treatment to a cohort of physicists, engineers and geologists
>Not allowing your immortal supermen to terraform the solar system
ISHYGDDT

>caloric restriction throughout an individual's life
Doesn't work in large animals

in your dreams fag, it's gonna be billionaires and politicians

Pretty much this

pnas.org/content/early/2017/10/25/1618854114.full

>pnas.org/content/early/2017/10/25/1618854114.full
>aging is due to the weakness of selection to remove alleles that increase mortality only late in life

Right. The entire point of civilization, medicine, and anti-aging research itself is to artificially strengthen that selection or bypass it entirely.

(OP)(OP)(OP)(OP)(OP)(OP)(OP)

Hello cancer my old friend.

no u

how did all these anti science tards start getting lost in here.

isn't it just cancer cells that maintain telomeres instead of telomere maintencance causing cancer?

watch the scishow video on ageing.

Very normie but enxplains shit pretty well.

However if we can learn something from some animal, look up the age of a greenland sharl. They live up to about 400 years of age. They reach sexual maturity at 150 years.

>How is immortaliy different from treating cancer?
Seriously, retard?

In 2005 they did a study where they thought the donation of blood from a young donor was revitalizing the physical and cognitive abilities of older mice. It made headlines in the pop-sci news articles as a vampire life extension technique. They were wrong, they found out tho that there's something in old blood that is inhibiting brain function.

Would simply removing bad blood, and growing new blood naturally be enough to extend your life? Did we basically scientifically re-confirm that blood letting actually extends your life, like they thought in the middle ages. And why did we stop believing in blood letting and leaches? We're told there's no scientific evidence which supports blood letting, but their logic at the time was women live longer because they loose blood once a month. They stopped not because it was disprove, but because blood letting in those times was dangerous as they often over drew blood or it wasn't done in sterile conditions. How did we go from "it's not safe" to "it's quack science?"

Do you think simply donating blood once every other month would be enough to extend your life? It's a fact that blood donors live longer, but that could be attributed to the simple fact that donors live healthier lives and they're disqualified to donate if they don't.
BTW, I donated today because these questions have been weighing on my mind.

You know what the real problem is? People aren't looking at aging as a physics problem instead of a biochemical one. When in reality, the physics models are what help compose and contribute to those other science models because it's their derivative.

If time is movement, what is aging then? Resistance against the forces of nature and oxidation against the friction and external/internal forces acted upon it. There's ways stock go about that blue print model and correctly reinforce it, but a lot of it has to do with correctly taking all variables and factors into consideration and then working your way on up from there correctly sequentially. The question is how to correctly come up with that model to exploit those patterns and work on from there? Lots of studies like holistic and kinesiology have really made good headway in those areas as of late. I should know cuz I'm a psychophysicist.

>it's too hard, mommy.

75-100 years is plenty of time to master some subject, have a good job, build a family, know your purpose, commune with God and prepare for death properly. We can contribute to society in that time. We aren't meant to hang around for 300 years, eating up all the resources our children should be enjoying.

This. Although I wouldn't mind 120.

>t. turbobrainlet plebes

this is the correct attitude to have. We already live quite long naturally.
120 would be okay though. But the most important would just be maintaining good brain function and muscle structure into old age. So you don't get alzheimers, dementia or parkinsons, etc.

Parkinsons and Alzheimers will be cured in the next 10 years. Dementia is an umbrella term for essentially just brain atrophy and that as a whole won't be prevented for the foreseeable future

That sound fair to people who don't want/have children. Besides there is nothing wrong with people hanging around for 300 years.

Fuck you brainlet. Ive seen so much shit about anti aging ever sense ccp grey and that german youtube channel came out with that video. Come up with a abstract idea that ive never seen before,then op you will not be a faggot.

I wouldn't consider humans particularly large compared to rhesus monkeys, which is where most of the data we have is and where the evidence is very solid. There is no proof, to my knowledge, that it works or does not work in humans.

The higher the standards of living the lower the birth rate, that's a well known fact. Immortality would literally bring the standard so high that birth rates would go to 0.
So no, that's an autistic argument.

Thanks for that hearty addition to the thread, brainlet.

Not him
You're taking his statement out of context. It's functional immortality versus treating a lethal disease. The endgame of extending your lifespan is the same, until your life is taken by other natural causes.

no such thing as immortality in an ever changing, unstable cosmos, brainlets when will they learn?
even suns die.

the only part of us that has the potential for real immortality is the soul.

whether you live 100 years or 10,000 doesn't matter if you're a materialist/atheist your life will always be wasted and pointless and your worldview self-defeating.

As to it being done. I realize now there is no point arguing with tards who want to say it's impossible and wont be accomplished for 1,000 years. The anti aging community continues to pick up momentum. And, in 10'ish years most of the research will be getting done by AI's, rather than knucklehead fuckers who want to interject their personal bias for why something shouldnt be done, as opposed to why it currently isnt possible. InB4 edglelord: there's no AI,

pretty much,

if you had a life span of say 500+ years, in a healthy age 20 appearance, would anyone be in a hurry to have kids.

Also, every time someone says there isnt enough room. look at the rural parts of Canada, Alaska, etc.... let alone places like Antarctica, or space colonization

Imagine being an incel for 150 years...

>tfw rejuvenation becomes a thing just after all the boomers die

Please, oh please let this happen. If a fucking jellyfish can do it, i'm sure we could piece a method together.

Also
>all these naturalist faggots in here

Get the fuck out the way and make way for our next evolutionary development.

Einstein was a one trick pony. Relativity was amazing but the ideas were alredy there, he just put them together. Its the only spectacular thing he did in the field.

>Einstein was a one trick pony.
That guy does not know what Einstein got the Nobel Prize in Physics for.