Was it autism?

Was it autism?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/review/list/922495?shelf=read
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think this book is a great alternative read for YA-fiction lovers. I'd rather have started reading with NotW than HP.

The writing is at least better than HP but fails to capture everything Tolkien and Rowling did.

This book has been sitting on my shelf for months, should I read it?

I quite enjoyed it but it suffered from a lot of the classic problems with fantasy writing. It's just that Rothfuss is able to navigate them quite well.

Throw it in the garbage. It's so bad you can't even enjoy it ironically.

Didn't it take him like a decade to finish this and he still hasn't finished the 3rd book.

What is it with genre fiction writers like martin and his ilk. Why does it take so long for them to shit something like this out? At least Sanderson can actually pump his garbage out for his fans.

It's ok, worth a read imo. It's pretty obvious though from the Male to Female interaction that the author is a raging autist that has no grasp of real life interactions.

>Pat is known to have studied a lot as he discovered what he wanted to do. For seven years, he studies anthropology, eastern religions, history, philosophy, alchemy, parapsychology, writing, and literature. These diverse exposures gave him the needed skills for creative writing. He also studied six martial arts, learned how to pick locks, studied how to become a skilled lover of women, and practiced comedy.

I know for a fact Martin actually hates writing but loves the money and fame. Rothfuss is just a hack.

translation

>spent 7 years as a NEET reading all kinds of wikipedia articles

He's read more than you chump

goodreads.com/review/list/922495?shelf=read

Why does he read so many children's books?

and that somehow attests to his intelligence how?

It's a harem anime, so yes.

>those entry level comic books and manga
Clearly he did not start with the Greeks.

Heh, didn't you know Patrick Rothfuss is a skilled lover of women and a master of six martial arts? You'd better stay in your lane, kiddo- or else he just might beat you up, steal your lady, and teach you a thing or two about parapsychology and Eastern religions.

> studied how to become a skilled lover of women

where can i take this class

My favorite thing about those books is how Rothfuss manages to show how ignorant he is of all the things Kvothe is supposed to be an expert of. I firmly believe that Rothfuss has never held an instrument in his life.

Foolish boy, there's no class to become a skilled lover of women... It's a skill that cannot be taught, only learned.

He's read Aesop's Fables, the pinnacle of the Greeks and all you need.

There was a very crude attempt at stoicism and logos in his second book

Although, I suppose I, Patrick Rothfuss, could show you a glimpse into my world... Maybe if you witness my incredible seductive power you can pick up a few things.

Step 1: grow a beard, women can't help but feel aroused by a luscious beard, it's like a huge penis but on your chin

Step 2: embrace the female damsel in your powerful embrace. She may struggle at first, but you must hold her for at least 12 seconds: this is the time it takes for her to be overwhelmed by your masculine scent. The sensation of being locked in your hold will also make her more fertile, an important part of the process.

DELET

Are you talking about the lethani? Cause it felt like he read the Tao Te Ching and decided to incorporate it into his book but he didn't want to put in the effort to actually understand it.

Lethani reminded me of Logos, although presented in a very narrow way only relevant to fighting(since I guess he couldn't be bothered, or just didn't understand enough to present how it related to nature, civic life, duty etc)

yessir, it's joocy

If for nothing else, it has some beautiful world building

Step 3: Dawn your ceremonial raping robes and go to the females house. Break in with your lock picking skills and subdue the female with your skill in six martial arts. After two quick thrusts, your seed will be deep inside her. Now that she is carrying your child, she will be fully smitten with you- women cannot help but feel infatuated with their rapist.

It's possible, the real problem is that is that there wasn't much to go on because Rotfuss doesn't show what the Lethani's fundamental beliefs or teachings actually are. Instead he uses cryptic and meaningless statements (how does one follow the moon?) and rules he made up on the spot (you must ask permission to use my dead).

Children's literature is actually important for fantasy because of its historical relationship with fairy tales. Not saying that's why, but it's not surprising for a fantasy author.

>you must ask permission to use my dead

LOOOOL i remember that, cringey as fuck. my real problem with his writings is the character interactions though. I really don't mind him trying to incorporate philosophies into his new world, even if crudely and superficially, afterall it's a fantasy world and he thus has a free hand to include whatever he likes.

The character interactions though... are just horrible. When I read his conversations, all I could think was "That's... not how people interact... these aren't real people". just felt fake to me - perhaps I'm just nitpicking but I couldn't really get into it.

Seriously overrated YA fantasy, was incredibly disappointed reading it.

Pic related is god-tier fantasy.

>pedophilia
>calling characters names like Regal

I managed to read around half of the first book. lesson learned is never trust female authors

His understanding of women is a special kind of awful. It's like he genuinely believes that you can get in a relationship with someone by being nice to them until they suddenly realize they're in love with you. I don't understand how people make it out of high school without learning the basics of dating.

What are the author's intentions with the character of Slutna?

They're lazy and undisciplined. The most prolific writers will dedicate a few hours every day purely for writing and they will stick to that schedule no matter what. That's what separates them from the fatasses who get "writers block" and can't finish their work.

It was good up until the ending of the last book. It was super anti-climactic.

>calling characters names like Regal
There was an in universe reason for that iirc. All royalty was supposed to be named after a virtue or positive personality trait of some kind.

The latter half is better. Second and third books are way better than the first.

The follow-up trilogy had me in tears multiple times. You should really read them if you appreciate quality fantasy.

To work out his pent up frustration about that one girl he never asked out in high school.

>You won't escape my love this time Jen... I-I mean Denna

For the entire series you're supposed to view her as some sort of Demigoddess, but he spends no time at all expanding upon her character. she is literally an empty vessel, just a projection of his pent up frustrations.

Have you read The Slow Regard of Silent Things about that ultra autist Auri? That was Autism

What is it with hack writers and using mental illness as a shorthand for making quirky charming girls without any of the horrible symptoms that actual victims of mental illness suffer?

inability to actually portray real and interesting woman characters as you have no idea what they actually are like

Is this the thing where an autist plays the fiddle at a magic school?

Yes, he also loses his virginity to a sex goddess and becomes a ninja.

Quite glad I stopped reading at the fiddle magic school by the sounds of it.

I got my dad this book because he only reads genre-fiction and he liked it. Is there a way to transition him into real lit from this? I heard it was better than average fantasy stuff so that's why I picked it but this thread has me doubting

that made you choose to read that book?
probably

For sure, just get him something adventurey and slightly mystical. Moby Dick would be an obvious choice or even Infinite Jest, which even has the added school setting and genius kids. I unironically think many scifi fags would adjust quite well to IJ. There must be a better recommendation out there though. I am just too impaired to think of one on the spot.

I know it's a meme, but Gene Wolfe is the only fantasy/sci-f author I can think of that actually writes stuff that Veeky Forums would consider to be of merit. You might be able to introduce him to more philosophical works using pic related.