The Savage Detectives

Thoughts on this book, Veeky Forums?

Enjoyed but never could figure out what's outside the window

I read 2666 and concluded Bolano is a degenerate who doesn't warrant further reading.

>muh degeneracy
what triggered you?

I might pick it up after 2666.

Extremely erotic.

I really liked 2666 a lot more
TSD felt really childish at the beginning, the more later interviews were better, imo
overrated book, specially by young wanna be artsy commies college cunts, still good, but 2666 and Literatura Nazi are much better IMO
Real life, you noob, why do you think it is a dotted line? if you cut it you will see your reallity leaking into fiction

didnt like it at all. might check out 2666 but not excited to

You're a degenerate pleb.

>childish at the beginning

That's pretty much the point. The first part is about the sentimental and poetic education of Garcia Madero, and how childish that education really is.

>it is supposed to be bad xd
Hate this meme

Who said it was bad?

Trips deserves a good answer

SD was a good read -- checked it out before 2666. Was glad I did because some of characters and locations reemerge.

Bolano was a great writer...probably my favorite of the past few decades. It would be your loss to avoid these two works. This is coming from someone who's favorite writers include Joyce, Mann, Borges, Gaddis, and Zweig.

What do you think of Cortazar

I've read a collection of his short stories to include end of the game, blow-up ect... I enjoyed some of them including Axolotl and House Taken Over in particular.

Overall, he's an interesting writer with good plot twists...however, I didn't find his writing memorable enough to be among my favorites. Sort of like Danilo Kis or maybe Kenzaburo Oe...excellent but not consistently great.

>Being a triggered brainlet in the current year

I tried reading TSD a few years ago and dropped it halfway through due to boredom. TSD and 2666 arriving from Amazon tomorrow to give it another shot.

reading 2666 now. The plot barely holds my attention it's so slow and aimless, but the mood and atmosphere are so thick I keep reading to steep in its detached surreal poetry.

for those that read this book for the plot, are you just dispositionally temperate and patient?

what are some writers/books similar to bolanos writing style? i also loved 2666

i felt the same way with it and gave up two times out of boredom on the first book but on the third time i just suddenly felt interested in the plot and now it all has a deep relevance to me. Might have been because i saw a parallel between the characters in the first book and my best friends and i

Difficult to say since I've read the English translations only. Try Julian Rios like Procession of Shadows or maybe something by Satanango for that sort of sinister atmosphere that tends to be pervade 2666 and to a lesser degree TSD.

Pendejo.

Have not gotten to TSD but I really enjoyed 2666 and Nazi Literature. Have you read Distant Star? it's basically an extended version of one of the profiles in Nazi Literature.

solo tiene sentido en espaƱol

jaja

is this a real cover? cause it's perfect