Too old?

Is 21 years and 3 months too old to seriously invest time into math if you're an absolute beginner?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Are-there-any-famous-successful-mathematicians-who-came-to-math-late-in-life
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes. IQlets need not apply.

More like timelets

to achieve what?

Yes and no
Yes if you want to win a high school math competition but no if you want to learn math

>no if you want to learn math
Why so

Depends. Do you understand "Rick and Morty"?

good answer. If you're capable of learning math then your age will not matter. Start now OP!

Im 18 and starting khan academy tomorrow. Dropped out while I was taking trig and took 2 years off from math. Excited to get back into it! I doubt your age matters. I'd suggest starting asap. If you're 21, you could get into some interesting stuff by 22-23, and start to really grasp it by 24-25. At that age you're still ~young~.

You can start any age as long as your IQ is above 135. Otherwise don't bother wasting your time.

Look for some O-Level Add Maths papers and try them

In my opinion that's where the Maths really begins. Try them out.

You have no idea how young 21 is. Your brain is not even done developing, dude.

yes. i was already a Grad student at 21 and i was shit compared to the more successful math community.

Honestly, it is too late. Maybe try something else, like manual labor?

This

pfffff man 21 is nothing, you have a tonfuck of time and interesting things to learn, i wouldnt worry about age right now.

just invest 1460 hours studying and you'll be alright

I started at 23, this year. Don't believe people saying "you have all the time in the world", that's obviously BS. On the other hand, when are you ever gonna get started if not now? What else are you gonna do? You or me might never be the next Tao, but if we were, we would've noticed that a decade ago.

Nah OP, I'm 24 and will be taking Calculus 1 in the Spring. Took me about 1 month to get caught up and I was someone who had not done math for years + slept through middle & high school.

P.S. I'm also now doing undergrad research. It's only too late if you're unwilling to put in the work to get caught up.

Depends on why you want to study math. If you are asking if it is too late to take a serious dive into mathematics out of a desire to understand mathematics. Then I would say it is most certainly not too late. While your situation is certainly not the norm, there exist many examples of mathematicians who started their dive late into life. Here's a link to a website which has a post that is just a long list of different mathematicians who started very late in life and still went on to produce mathematical works and/or study math to an advanced level.

quora.com/Are-there-any-famous-successful-mathematicians-who-came-to-math-late-in-life

If I had to say what should be the number one factor in deciding whether or not you want to pursue math, it would probably be your ability to understand abstract concepts as well as your determination and persistence in learning them. Both of these qualities are, more likely than not, going to be what determines whether you stay within math or drop it. Questions over whether or not you have an arbitrarily high enough IQ to study math (as it, at most, should only tell you the amount of work you are gonna have to put into it) shouldn't really be what deters you from studying mathematics.

bump

this board seriously needs to get over the IQ meme.

Absolutely not, vast majority of the population is shit at maths and never cared to learn, take the time and enjoy it as a hobby and you should be able to learn pretty quickly

its never too late to start

however even IMO gold medalists at age 12 can spend their entire lives unnamed

It's better to start at 21.25 than at 22.25, so I'd start. You're not lacking that hard behind compared to maths undergrads that only started seriously picking up their courses around your age (and only learnt to pass exams prior to that)

can i do it on my own or should i have gone to college or something

Above 135 iq? So only about 2% of the population can understand complex mathematics.

What do you mean "start with math"? I mean you had it in school for 12 years.
If you were good in school and liked it its nit too late

Yes you fucking idiot you should only ever try at math if you were learning calculus at 12 and never stop from there

everyone else is absolutely wasting all their time. don't even bring up self-fulfillment or meaningfully improving your life through obtaining greater understanding, that's all stupid bullshit morons tell themselves when they don't realize the only thing that matters is being child prodigy. If you don't belong in the genius-only clubs you should go fucking die because you contribute nothing to the grand design of humanity's progress