I've read and investigated countless of stories and testimonies of people having visited heaven during a comatose

I've read and investigated countless of stories and testimonies of people having visited heaven during a comatose.

What bothers me about those testimonies is that they share similarities to a point that it nearly creeps me out as a scientist.
For example, they all described that it feels "more real than reality" or "like ultrareality". They all say that their experience made reality seem like a dream and their experience is now the new norm for what's real.

Can you even imagine this? I can, and it bothers me. What if they're right?
Reading these testimonies always fucks with my perception of what's real, and make me think it's actually possible that this reality that I've invested in, is actually just an empty shell of a divine reality, and maybe religion is right after all.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Alexander_(author)#Criticism_and_reaction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no

>What bothers me about those testimonies is that they share similarities to a point that it nearly creeps me out as a scientist.
It's not that strange. Every person who takes LSD, for instance, will experience more or less the same feelings. These people are under similar neurological states, so it's expected that their experiences will be similar. Another example is how people who come close to death often describe feelings of peace and seeing the a bright white light. Such feelings have been shown to be caused by abnormal levels of dopamine and oxygen flow. Nothing magical about it.

These experiences of "heaven" are just normal, expected neurological results from various things that can occur when you're close to death

>neil-dg-tyson-cosmos
>science and religion can't coexist meme

Fuck off to

But these points were explained in the book.
I read the book about the neurosurgeon named Eben.
Since he's a surgeon he could explain these things scientifically and he said DMT and normal brain activity didn't cause it.

>Every person who takes LSD, for instance, will experience more or less the same feelings.

This is why I don't do drugs. Altering your perception of reality is scary as fuck.

dont really want to take the bait... if this is hard to understand maybe try another board?
blessings be upon you

Haven't read the book, but apparently there are some strong criticism of his theories and methods:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eben_Alexander_(author)#Criticism_and_reaction

Well, he's wrong. That's all there is to it. Wouldn't be the first time some scientist ignored information and deluded himself to try to justify his superstitious beliefs

>What if they're right?
The significantly more disturbing question is what if there was no after life.
Could you imagine a world where everyone believed that nothing comes after death?
A world where nihilism is the norm and there is literally zero reason not to just kill yourself?

Also, as previously suggest I do not think that it is very weird that these people have somewhat similar experiences and I do not think that they are a reliable indicator for an afterlife.

>some scientist ignored information and deluded himself to try to justify his beliefs

That's far more common on the other side.

LSD can emulate those sensations.
And everyone in those states feel the same shit. It's a failsafe switch of the brain.
Think about it. These guys all see "heaven" while some of them have been sinners their whole life and some of them are even protestants or schismatics.

>Think about it. These guys all see "heaven" while some of them have been sinners their whole life and some of them are even protestants or schismatics.

Do some research before pulling shit out of your ass. The are numerous cases of people experiencing hell instead of heaven.

Well, yeah, the criticism is understandable.

But what separates Eben Alexander from his critics is that Eben actually experienced all that.
Who knows what really happened. It's so easy to say it was normal hallucination or something like that when you're observing this as an outsider.
There are times when you just know what happened, and you know nobody will believe you.
Kinda like in Game of Thrones nobody believed that white walkers are real.

>But what separates Eben Alexander from his critics is that Eben actually experienced all that.
That actually works against his theory, since it adds an element of subjectivity to it that is incompatible with how science is done.
>Who knows what really happened
Neuroscientists do.
>There are times when you just know what happened, and you know nobody will believe you.
That's literally what church-goers who experience "bliss" from god say. It's also what people who have extremely realistic and "prophetic" dreams will say. "Naah dude, this was not just a dream, it felt TOO real!" when in reality it was nothing but a dream. You have to understand that people who have this kind of experiences are biased and very reluctant to accept a reasonable scientific explanation because they really want to believe that they've experience something supernatural. The scientific explanation makes life "too boring" and it shatters their hopes of an afterlife existing.

>christcuck
Get out.

You have clearly never drank the kool-aid, user

I think acolytes of the temple of Tyson are comparably annoying to devout Christians

>implying i'm a tysoncuck
Fuck off

you might as well be, tendieboy

>implying Christianity didn't build the west

Stop projecting your hatred of being dragged to church as a child onto everything. It's childish as fuck.

"Naah dude, this was not just a dream, it felt TOO real!"

Just to add my anecdotal evidence, whenever i was able to remember dreams or snippets, some of which i still do to some degree, everything in my dreams felt completely real despite sceneries completely changing in seconds, bizzare stuff etc.
There was no difference in "feeling reality", you can only know/feel it was a dream after i happened, not during.
it's fascination how much differently the brain can function and it will all feel completely real, natural and ordinary.

I guess what i wanted to say is that based on my anecdote the only thing making them think it was divine revelation is that after waking up they didn't dismiss it as a dream, making them snowball the event into a full blown belief.

The theory of the universe being a simulation is real.

Out true self exists outside of this reality, we are merely controlling vessels in this one.

>/pol/tard shitposts thread then reeees that other people are the autists

Error 404 proof not found

You can experience the same thing on DMT or a very large dose of shrooms/LSD

As an LSD user, I can vouch for this.

Why does that sound scary? It is just as scary as normal perception.

>all hold a faith in heaven and validate this through an experience of near-death
>this is relevant or scientific in any way

You're raised in a culture in which many people believe or are brought up believing in angels, devils, etc. Once that idea is in your head, your mind could easily conjure images of heaven/hell from your imagination relating to those concepts.

Have you read any stories about religious people seeing demons sitting on their chests at night and stuff? Is this 'proof' of demons? No- it's literally just sleep paralysis, which I myself have experienced.

It's funny how they meet the symptoms of hypoxia. I believe it was members of the Air Force that were doing G Force tests and some of them had OOB and NDE after their brains stopped receivng blood as an efect of G-Force. All of them claimed it was a positive experience and that they were out of their bodies. They didn't die, their brains were running low on oxygen. Plus, people with NDE were never brain dead, as there is no coming back from that. Accounts of Heaven/Hell don't match, only feelings and sensations. They may have been in an altered state of consciousness but that doesn't mean they experienced somehting real.

No it isn't, as normal perception is the basis on which you have contextualized the world and yourself in it. Altering it thereby alters the underpinnings of the self.

Yeah for instance I took acid at a friends house and it was pretty boring just kinda tripping it’s more of a mental fuck around as in made you think funny ( maybe it wasn’t that strong) but eventually I sat on a couch and stared at this really ordinary painting of a beach with a ocean covering 3/4 of the painting and it was like depicting the beach as if you were looking out at sea in first person, with some beach chairs and a palm tree to the side of you. Think Hawaii hidden beach with a bit of flora rather than bush California beach. And no figures are in the painting and after sitting there for like 10 minutes the ocean started vividly shifting almost as if I was imparting movement on the painting and it was just actually so surreal next to any other experience I’ve ever had. It really really felt like I was looking through some window over some sand looking into a moving and vividly alive ocean. It was so real. I take life much more seriously since tripping like that instinctively because of how you recognise yourself or mind imparting meaning and motion on things that really are just paintings.

Pretty interesting what hallucinations the brain will create when near death. I have heard similar stories of vivid out of body experiences. They're just hallucinations.

>calling people dumb for worshipping Neil degrades Tyson is shitposting
kek

lol

Why would anyone kill themselves if afterlife doesn't exist?

I don't get how sci can cite Wikipedia and think it's legit. Colleges don't even allow you to.

Except the fundamental principle of matter can't cease to exist. Death isn't a simple topic that can be summarized by dmt

>if it's on wikipedia it means it's false!!
Are you 60 years old? Did you even read the content of the link?

to answer the pic related theology is just philosophy with an emphasis on judeochristian religions.

What the actual fuck is your train of thought here?
Guy1: Hey guys this life is all there is we better kill ourselves now
Guy2: But why would we do that now that we determined this is all there is, if anything we would have done it before when we though paradise awaited us right?
Guy1: No, because life is meaningless now
Guy2: Life was meaningless before as far as we knew as well.

>Implying the self exists.

The book on the bottom left is actually very good. I recommend it to anyone interested in the history of science.

>No eternal life means no reason to live

Non sequitor