The mathematician, Mike Roshko of Edmonton, graduated in pure mathematics from the University of Alberta two years ago...

The mathematician, Mike Roshko of Edmonton, graduated in pure mathematics from the University of Alberta two years ago, found there were no jobs to be had in this line, and is now a computer programmer in Ottawa. He answered this way:

>“For me, it’s amazing the way in which the seemingly different areas of mathematics fit together. When you begin studying advanced math, you tend to think of geometry, algebra, analysis and so on as separate entities, each beautiful and elegant on its own.

>“But as you go on, you realize that these different areas are connected in the most astonishing yet natural ways. You may discover that what you thought of as purely a part of geometry turns out to be an essential part of algebra. And what we're dealing with is not just something we've made up. It's a reality. It’s there.

>“And it all intertwines and works so perfectly, so beautifully, that you realize that Somebody or Something must have done this. It simply could not have happened by chance. It’s a kind of revelation, I guess. And it’s very convincing.”

He's right u know

Other urls found in this thread:

regexcrossword.com/playerpuzzles/59faf16663847
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>All the fields of math are all actually one big field
No shit, retard. Way to not figure that out all the way through your PhD.

>Therefore there must be a sky daddy
Counterpoint: that's retarded

[math]\color{orange}{\mathfrak{ALLAH\ IS\ INDEED\ AKBAR,\ ELSE\ HE\ WOULDN'T\ EXIST,\ DUMMY}}[/math]

>He is surprised that there is a connection between algebra and geometry

Shit man how brainlet can you be.

If you don't see the geometric interpretation of algebra and analysis, then you don't understand algebra and analysis.

In fact, you can start with anyour one of those concepts and extend it to the other two. There is no area that you can say is more fundamental than another.

I blame it on western European formulation of modern math whereby the elementary understanding of math as geometry was superceded by the insistence that algebra was somehow clearer about stating the relationships.

Imagine a future where we teach trigonometry without mentioning triangles at all, or maybe just in passing. I feel it is up to the individual to keep track of the distinction between education convention and the true structure of math contained within.

"You may discover that what you thought of as purely a part of geometry turns out to be an essential part of algebra"
The fact that someone finds things he thought were completely separate but are actually connected as some astonishing fact just means his expectation of separation was wrong and he didn't have enough knowledge.

At one point doctors thought that handling dead bodies and right after handling child birth was in no way related to the deaths of the latter.

>“And it all intertwines and works so perfectly, so beautifully.."
Objective quantification.

Why do people need some entity to make beautiful things? Why is it so damn unappealing to think that "perfection" happened by chance or is a part of "mundane" reality?

It's like those people who wished magic/alchemy whatever was real:
"Man, i'd love to be a mage, i wish i could summon a succubus with some conjured demonic mana strudels, and light my cigarette on fire with my magic staff"
Meanwhile some broke ass stundent in south-west-east plebsville is saying "OK google order me some ramen, while lighting a cig with a laser"

"Maaaaaan, id wish i could turn stuff into gold"
While some germans are smashing particles and making new elements for the periodic table.

Mike longs to see "real" magic, because he has been the magician for too long, because everyone but the magician see magic even if they refuse to believe so, as they don't know the trick, the pidgeon in his pocket, the card counting. Mike wants to be ignorant, as ignorance is bliss.

God exists, you just refuse to acknowledge that the universe is your God.

>You may discover that what you thought of as purely a part of geometry turns out to be an essential part of algebra

This is so retarded it hurts.

Geometry isn't some ancient golden tablet we discovered one day and it mysteriously was very useful.

Geometry was CREATED by humans, for humans. There are a billion different ways you can design geometry. We picked the way that has the most practical use to use. There is nothing inherent about how we've defined geometry or algebra, we only did it in the way that is most useful.

So in maximizing the usefulness of these equations, it's obvious that they will be useful in other areas that we've also designed as useful.

There is no such thing as "essential" part of algebra. There are certain things that we find more useful, that's all. They have NOTHING to do with math, everything to do with humans.

what he's saying should be completely unobjectionable if you know some math. the nullstellensatz is hardly trivial

>nullstellensatz
fuck this shit im not spending weeks to grasp the meaning and implications of this.

The notion that there has to be God because different branches of the study of reality have connection points is stupid.
The fact that it's unexpected to him doesn't mean it's some divine revelation.

It's like this idea that creativity is a divine gift - when someone sees some bizzare work of art, with completely unexpected elements they just deem the person gifted, when in reality there was no gift, there was nothing unexpected in the the mind of the artist, it was all connecting know things in ways many didn't know. An illusion of divine brilliance to the audience. I bet some nomad in the mountains would think rocket debris falling is Gods punishment because he didn't feed the goat.

>what he's saying
Nothing, besides the OP pic the quote has nothing specific. The dude just says "i don't think it be like it but it do, therefor God".

The word doesn't require some omnipotent creator to be astonishing. People fail to understand the beauty and tremendous weight of randomness, because something happening by chance is boring.

Something is organized, therefore God...
o_0

>Nature is lazy and massively redundant How is this an argument in favor of design?

if anything like god does exist, which would be fucking retarded, then god still wouldnt be able to change a fucking thing in math what so ever.

1 + 1 = 2 regardless of what sky daddy says

>that has the most practical use to use
whos the retard now?

>1 + 1 = 2 regardless of what sky daddy says
Radix is 2, now 1 + 1 = 10.
Did I prove God, bros?

Pure logic is symmetrical therefore God exists.

I agree that schools today completely ignore geometry when they really should be focusing on it more than algebra for younger students. However the real power of algebra is its ability to solve problems which can not be visualized, or to reframe abstract problems into a form which can be visualized but is no longer directly related to the problem. Such as using matrices to represent linear transformations, absolutely nobody can visualize a 4 dimensional transformation I don't care what they say, but everyone can visualize and recognize properties of the 4x4 matrix representing the transformation and they don't need to draw any triangles to do it.

I'm Christian, and yet I have enough of a brain to understand that God exists only in faith. It's bullshit that people are trying to use mathematics to prove it.

He's talking to a journalist for normies not math majors.

You can have signs without them being strict "proofs"

Randomness is how brainlets misunderstand causality.

Man discovered math. We didn't invent it, we invented to symbols to describe its relationships

>why do people need a transcendent cause
Because as beautiful and interesting trees and suns are they are completely unable to create themselves so is the set of all trees/suns/galaxies/humans/life, only a divine cause could cause all the finite, contingent things that me up what we call nature.
Anyone who respects causality realizes the need for a first, causeless cause... And such a cause will be all powerful, divine and all knowing. Aka God

>Man discovered math. We didn't invent it, we invented to symbols to describe its relationships
That is the dumbest thing disguised as a smart thing I think I have ever read.

>we invented the idea of addition, the idea of "one" is pure imagination, we invented that one liter of water plus out liter of water is two liters.
yes, everything in math is simply a social construct, like gender and race in biology, actually even less real!

Unlike physical objects there is no math without the language to describe it.

Wonder if Mike is related to Anatol Roshko? Also an Edmonton native and University of Alberta grad, he was one of the foremost fluid dynamics of the 20th century, working most of his career at Caltech.

but without triangles no one will get that it has real world applications - without which, it would be just as useless as philosophy.

p sure he's not a mathematician

That's kind of my point.
I advocate that through working hard to to things for yourself that are no longer emphasized.

The way it's taught now, you could get through number theory and analysis without even realizing how they build on each other. I think this is a travesty, and not seeing the connection retards your path to math maturity.

If you're lucky you may be required to see this through your departments program, but more often than not, it's seen as just a means to an end

the god part is retarded. I'm talking about the algebra-geometry dictionary and its deep importance in math. refrain from talking about math if you don't know anything about it.

Serious question on my part.

0^-(-1)c + 1 = 0

To my that is simply saying 'when 0 stops being constant because you've expanded from 0 to your preferred precision, which is encoded in the + operator, on your observed stopping point, which is always 1'.

Addendums?

regexcrossword.com/playerpuzzles/59faf16663847

>1 + 1 = 2, always!
>unchanging, objective, immaterial truth exists
>thinks this disproves a transcendental reality and God
lel

>math is just meaningless symbols with no objective, real referents
>if you can't poke it with your finger it aint real
brainlet nominalists