Ebook readers, why dont you start collecting physical books?

ebook readers, why dont you start collecting physical books?

physical book readers, why dont you read ebooks?

>tfw I do both

I do both. I have a Kindle I use fairly frequently and also own ~1,500 physical books I read.

Readers, why don't you listen to audiobooks?

Post bookshelf I want to see that!

I do both, but I'm currently kind of poor so my kindle is often cheaper. Plus my house is crazy small.

This is from several months back, they're not really as photogenic in my new place.

How small is crazy small?

Cool how much of that have you read? How did you get such a large collection? And what do you do for living?

~65-75% depending on how you count half-read things. I buy almost everything second-hand, usually at least a dozen a month (and have been at it nearly a decade). I grade tests for a living.

These threads remind me of how much I miss my Kindle. I was robbed about a month ago and the black fellows took it. Guess that's what I get for being born in a poor brazilian family, right, guys?

>black fellows
When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger

i don't read at all

Same. No fucks given.

i laughed.

I have a sizeable collection of physical books but am mainly a Kindle person now.

Mainly I like e-books because its convenient to carry around of books in a small device, they tend to be cheaper, larger books are no more weighty than small, I can have the books set to narrate when I'm in the bath, its easy to obtain more obscure books (if not through official means, then by pirating), I can use it as a web browser, theres a built-in dictionary, the rare comics I read get delivered automatically, and subscriptions are easy.

not a big fan of tablets. I'd feel like a pleb bringing one out in public. But with a book it's sort of okay in my mind.
i also feel like people are more open to talking to you if you're reading a book, and im always open to talking with someone about a book if they've read it and i'm reading or read it.
dont have to worry about books running out of battery.
looks good on a shelf, although diminishing shelf space is very current problem i need to address.

I use an ereader because they're more portable and because I thought about the costs required to buy physical books (incl floor space required to store books most of which I won't reread) and decided it wasn't worth it. I make 75k a year but I would feel similarly even if I made ten times that much.

>ebook readers, why dont you start collecting physical books?

I already have an apartment with shelves filled with books, plus more in some boxes. I've got so many I've had to start getting rid of some. Using an ereader lets me keep reading more books without turning into an episode of Hoarders.

I buy phys. books to boost my ego and/or because said books have sentimental value. Ebooks are for branching out since I don't pay for em

>physical book readers, why dont you read ebooks?

i do sometimes. i like having physical books but for if it's a pain to get something cheap and second hand then i'll dl it. reading from a large screen and not having to use your hands is actually p luxurious.

I need to write all over the pages of my books.

for books I'm looking for specifically I just download it, physical books I get just browsing used bookstores finding random books

>physical book readers, why dont you read ebooks?
Don't have a ereader, don't really want it (in general I'm conservative with tech I use) and ebooks have lower reading retention.

I get distracted too easily when I'm reading an Ebook. It's so easy to just switch to Veeky Forums or a youtube video or play a game

oh my god, there you are
i've been always afraid of carrying my Kindle around here in Brazil and having it mistaken by a tablet
so I guess this happened to you
i'm sorry :/

idk kindle is so conveniente and practical you forget about physical books
i think we should talk about audiobooks tho

I've always had physical books.

I do.

I prefer owning a physical copy of the book I want to read. However I've found it very hard to read a book on the way in and out of work, due to the train being packed. So I've taken to reading something on the Kindle phone app during the week and then reading a solid book at the weekends.

I read e-books when I can't find a worthy edition to buy and I buy hardbacks whenever I can afford them. For me it's leather-bound, the best format of literature

I collect physical books when certain e-books are pricey, though I don't have much space for storage so e-books can be preferred. I like physical copies of large books e.g. Gravity's Rainbow though.

as someone living in extreme poverty, ebooks are incredible because i can still download and read a new book even when i have to spend my last 30c on ramen

my kindle paperwhite is the best thing i've ever bought

I read on my Kobo for quite a while and despite its benefits I noticed that digital reading on a device is a lot less stimulating than reading a physical copy and thus tends to make me more unattentive and easly distracted. So I also by paperbacks when the book I want to read is relatively long or if I can't find it in a nearby store.

I use almost exclusively ebooks simply because it's more convenient.

If i want to read a book i can just download it instantly and get reading, it's free ect.

I also like reading on a device more as you can enlarge the font, has links to footnotes. It's just easier all round.

I also think despite people using books as decoration, cheap paperbacks look mostly disgusting so theres no aesthetic appeal there.

Problem is, the crackheads took my bag with the Kindle and a couple of academic books inside. I bet they wouldn't have taken it if they had looked inside. Pretty sure they were after either a smartphone or a notebook, and I had neither. I'm still mourning the loss of my valuable companion.

>as someone living in extreme poverty

You mean like this, you fucking faggot?

I read physical books because they don't die and they don't give me headaches.

i dont buy anything. get books at the library or pdfs on pirate bay

*collecting* books is a bibliophile thing, has nothing to do with reading per se

>extreme poverty

I used to have a Kindle, but I wound up throwing it in the river, everyone said it made me look gay.

Maybe you should practice your underarm throw then

>Veeky Forums
>poverty
ok kiddo

I used to buy physical books, but I've started reading more and can't afford $30+ per book these days. If/when I make more money I'll buy all the ebooks I enjoyed in physical copies

I don't collect books because I am not a consumerist faggot. If I can't find a book I want in the preferred file type, I will buy it second hand.

If you seriously collect books then congratulations you're a capitalist retard.

>$30 per book

Where are you buying them from? That seems excessive. I get most of mine for ~$3 used.

ordering online, or brand new books from stores
maybe I should visit second hand stores
It's hard to beat the convenience of bookzz though

Availability exclusively. I don't care what form I read in. I read the ingredient lists on the back of bathroom products while I'm taking a shit. I will read anything.

>saw Infinite Jest right away

Or you know there is something called the library. Just because I utilize it to meet my preferred method of reading doesn't mean I am a Capitalistic retard.

this guy gets it.
tip: you also can buy the ebooks you absolutely can't find and most likely won't find in the foreseeable future for free on amazon. And then you can return them, i.e. get your money back.
Copy them ofc before returning.
Slight risk of account suspension though, I guess...
the rest of the thread should kts

*well they will have been free when you return them

I buy hard copies of classics and non-fiction for my bookshelf. They are worth rereading and I don't want to get distracted by the internet.

I get shitty 1000+ pages genre fiction for my ebook reader. They would take up too much space and I would be ashamed showing them to people.

>reading """books"""

u a lame