Thoughts about Chemical Engineering?

Thoughts about Chemical Engineering?

chemistry is the engineering of the sciences, chemical engineering is redundant

>chemical engineering
It's called plumbing.

They make a ton of money right? At least there's that, the work always seemed sort of interesting too

Not op but does anybody here do materials science?

>pros
pays well
has a decent scientific foundation
strong opportunity for diverse jobs because normies love the word engineer

>cons
real sci fields will trash you
lots of memorization
you dont really get to do any of the sweet shit chemists do
the highest paying jobs are corporate and you therefore become a drone and contribute to the dumpstering of the planet

I'm a grad student in materials chemistry, so kinda

So the cons are muh feels?

You mean when they mix chemicals?

What’s it like? What do the courses consist of? Do you like it? What areas of mathematics are covered?

If I hadn't been accepted into med school, I would have definitely studied Materials

Chemist here. Depends on what you study. There's many different flavors of chemical engineering

in my experience the cons in most of academia boil down to either no money or muh feels

I like it, but I think with materials what you cover can vary to a huge degree.

My research is on designing and synthesizing neutral organic conductors. I do a lot of bench work and then physical analysis , mostly CV, XRD and computational studies for orbital coefficients, energy calculations etc. We try to design for ideal crystal packing and intermolecular overlap.

Being honest with you, I do very little math. Most of the math relies on the computational aspect and a bit of the XRD but you don't really need to know much of the math when you have the software doing it for you.

But with that said, there are definitely mkre physics/math oriented materials programs.

>inb4 not an engineer , I'm an EE
biochemical engineering is the hardest engineering. If you going out go all the way

Fuck distillation without using a computer. That shit is fucking gay as hell

>Plumbing & Pumping
learn the definition, could save your life.

How much memorization? Especially for someone who hates molecular biology.

You will suffer a lot.
t. Chemical Engineering student that hates memorization.

how much math is involved?

why didn't you faggots go for traditional chemistry?
we do all the cool stuff, and generaly go much deeper in detail as we ignore the industrial process bulshit.

a lot, but it generaly is trivial in terms of complexity. Lots of derivatives/integrals, some, more advanced stuff too, but you have computers for that kind of stuff. At least here (portugal) we focus on practical maters like proper lab techniques and quality control

I'm about to graduate with great grades and I haven't memorized barely anything.

Mostly basic calculus and linear algebra (like any other engineering), unless you want to go deeper into modelling and simulation or process control.

The industrial processes are what makes it interesting. Chemistry is boring, except for physical-chemistry, which is the part chemE focuses on.

Implying physical chemistry isn't the absolute worst field compared to the wonders of organic and biological chemistry.

For drones and brainlets who can't do REAL chemistry

>the industrial processes are what makes it interesting. Chemistry is boring, except for physical-chemistry

this is the most backasswards retarded-ass shit I have ever heard in my life. if mixing together a bunch of shit based on seemingly arbitrary rules you've devised in your head and having beautiful crystals of the exact substance you anticipated falling out, a substance no one has ever made before, doesn't get your dick hard then i don't know what to do with you.

if you don't think synthesis is cool as hell you can fuck off.

How did your parents react after telling them you are a tube sexual?

>organic and biological
no magnets, no meaning fagbag. also SCXRD on organics is a fuckball which sucks for you because it has to be hands down the most fun analytical technique in all chem.

You know that studying chemical engineering is the reason that Dolph Lundgren ended up going into acting, right, despite being on his way to getting a PhD from MIT?
He just couldn't find a job that wasn't plumbing.

The feels.

I was between choosing chemistry or chemical engineering and I choose the latter. I am too deep in to change now. That is what I get for being a greedy fuck.

That dude is what Hitler daydreamed about

Boring as fuck, you go through school having zero fun then go to work and have zero fun, pay is good, but you can go into construction management and have a fun job while having fun in college only making ~10-15k less a year, one guy who graduated from our department and was making $300k+ after 5 years becuase of the sheer amount of ass kissing he did

Chemical engineering is a meme for people who are too smart and like sitting in an office wanting to die

Awful, absolutely awful.

Do literally any other engineering major, especially Electrical and Computer. Shit classes, no jobs, no future. I can't switch my major anymore, thanks to unit caps.

It's great, i'm a 3rd year and got an internship for next summer that pays $40/hr doing work I'm intensely interested in

The math foundation is good and you get to do the cool parts of physics, like fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics

There's pretty much no chemistry

he's what I daydream about teehee

Finish your degree. Learn programming or IT on your own. Do development or IT for a ChemE company.

The feels.
Third year ChemE and I literally want to die from the lack of any actual chemistry there is involved in this major. This is why people say determine your choice on what interests you, not by how much money it'll make you.

All I can hope for now is that my basic programming knowledge pays off to help me stand out in the plethora of other ChemE graduates.