Writing Group?

How have past attempts at a Veeky Forums writing group gone? Who would anyone is interested in getting a few anons together for the purpose of writing motivation/detailed critique? Gotta start somewhere.

Details:
>I'm thinking of a fairly rigorous pace, maybe seven to ten pages a week.
>Either one long weekly discussion on a day that works for everyone or daily discussion focusing on one person's work for the week, if schedules permit.
>This is a time bound endeavor. The goal will be to produce a complete first draft by the end of whatever date we set. We can discuss length in more detail, but I think 150-200 pages is ideal, so things don't drag on too long.
>There will be a planning period before we start, where we can streamline methods for plotting the work.
>3-5 people max I think.

super interested.

Cool.

Maybe just one or two more people and we're good to go, then.

I'm interested, but I'm more for short stories than novels.

Do we coordinate through Veeky Forums or take it off Veeky Forums?

I am in. Do you use IRC?

Interested.

I wonder how many here write sci fi.

Yeah I would, probably be better than the usual garbage that becomes of Veeky Forums groups since we have to produce something

>How have past attempts at a Veeky Forums writing group gone?

Very poorly.

>Who would anyone is interested in getting a few anons together for the purpose of writing motivation/detailed critique?

The problem with critique is it all depends on who's critiquing you stuff. If you're published, or have some good creds, then sure I'd like to know what you think. If you're the average lit who writes 1,500 words of rape fantasy a year, and doesn't understand 76% of what you read but goes on here and says it's amazing because you think it makes you look brilliant, then I don't really care what you think.

Is matter of finding someone then. Efforts like these have gains in the long run, when groups are cemented on experience and match authors together.

Sure, you can find clumsy critiques, but is for the small contributions from other anons we are here.

An e-mail listing surely is the best option. Google groups or something like that.

Yeh, agreed. Veeky Forums's user system is great for criticism in its own way, apart from the culture of shitting on things for no reason other than anonymitiy.

A much better writer's group would be found elsewhere by each user according to their interests. IRC+tumbler, reddit, deep forums, anything but this place.

Don't get me wrong, this is a perfect place to find random interesting people too. But without clear continuity, disorder, and the lack of sharing tools is only logical to expand by other means.

I am not sure about tumblr, reddit or deep forums, but I've definitely seen groups catch with IRC. A good IRC channel can share scripts/files and can keep documents in the motd.

I do. (Nice dubs)

Yeah...it's Veeky Forums so it's kind of a given that the majority of you write sci fi and fantasy and other genre trash, while discussing joyce and pynchon.

>implying
Also I'll read the shit from sci fi of authors here.

Everyone who joins has to write 1000 words of their best work. If it passes at a reasonable standard then they can join.

That's sexist and racist

>implying nobody here is for short stories or to help with a review
You are doing it wrong.

Or provide your writing creds....but lets face it if you want to join a writing group you probably don't have any.

I've only been published in a non-fiction anthology.

Yeah....that doesn't count.

Anyone writing a novel with seemingly philosophical themes? Doesn't need to be a magna opus, just make me think.

OP here, email is [email protected]. Email me and I'll link you to the discord server.

If an excess of people is interested, we can split into two or more groups.

OP here, my novel deals a lot with philosophy. IT's actually the central topic.

Sent out 3 invites so far, but I think 2 of the 3 are more interested in providing critique, so we still need writers.

Maybe I'll send my stories tomorrow to break the ice.

I'll like to hear more about your novel too.