Thoughts on electrical engineering?

Thoughts on electrical engineering?

what about it?

Is it a good major/job opportunities?

yes

yes

Useful and interesting, it also pays well professionally.

hmm, straightforward thread.

Not a fan. I’m supposing it’s methodology where I’m being taught, I’m getting A’s in all my ECE courses but I absolutely hate what it. The labs make me want to fucking kill myself. Most of the other students have been tinkering with electronics and circuits as a hobby since they were children/in high school. I’m a second year so I’m reluctant to switch majors but honestly an extra semester is worth not hating what I’m learning. The kids who who this is all new too are already failing

It's probably the best all around engineering degree. Mechanical is more useful and some specialized ones like petroleum are more lucrative.

Is there anything as equally lucrative as petroleum, but without the ethical issues?

>he doesn't use an ad blocker
pleb

Make the switch if you don't like it, but it is a wide field and there might be a part you do like. I didn't have any knowledge of the material when starting and hated most of the intro courses even though they were easy to ace through. I liked physics more, and honestly I should have switched to physics after my first year, but I stuck with it and focused on more physics related specializations like RF, electromagnetics, optics and enjoyed the material. Now in grad school for optics, which is classified as EE but all of my research has been classified under physics.

EEs can also go into biomedical, materials, comp sci, some applied math, some fields of physics, etc..

If you wanted to go the physics or math route I would do so as the courseload is typically lower and so more time for research or anything really

Good field, I don't want to study it but I'd like to learn more about circuits and such

Not an science.

>Applied science isn't science!
No shit, Sherlock, it's called engineering. :^]

Not an engineering.

It's literally engineering.

Had a similar experience when I started- I felt way behind the I-learned-Java-and-built-my-own-PC-when-I-was-two crowd. Let me tell you, nothing they've learned will help them as things get more theoretical. In contrast, you are quickly going to get better at the hands-on aspects of EE, and labs aren't going to scare you anymore. If that's your only concern, I say stick it out, maybe try a little side project of your own- there's lots of fun little Arduino projects you can do quickly and cheaply.
If more than just hating the labs you really hate EE as a subject, just go CS or whatever.
The intro courses of EE are the boring part. The longer you're in it the more cool stuff you get to see.

>fun little Arduino projects
that's for hobbyists

The CS overlords have killed it

Are you insinuating that they aren't complex?

rf engineering is in very high demand and forms the backbone of most quantum computation

they are complex in the sense that any computer is complex, but they abstract away details that an EE should not be abstracting away if he wants to learn how shit works

I think the idea was for OP to improve his practical, not theoretical ability.

i was talking about practical details, not theoretical details

yes, at the low end you can get an electrician's license and go into the trades (which leads up to very well paid work if you get a PE) and on the high end you can build nuclear weapons

slave trade

not converting to islam.

Yes, it's for hobbyists, and it'll help him build up his practical skills and experience and confidence in the lab, which is what he seems to need most.

How is RF engineering related to quantum computing? Something to do with really high data rates?