Questions For Writers

1) How many hours do you spend reading each day?

2) How many hours do you spend writing each day?

3) How many hours do you spend rewriting each day?

4) What is your upper limit for each of the questions above?

>I've heard famous writers say that their efforts begin to diminish at four hours of writing/rewriting.

1) Zero
2) Zero
3) Zero
4) Kys

1. Depends. If I get hooked up in a book it could go on days.
2. The same as above - usually 4-5 hours.
3. Zero - maximum, when I finish the book I reread once - although I only wrote one book, and several short stories.
4.8 hrs, 5, hrs, 0 hr

I appreciate the contribution.

Are you NEET? You have a lot of free time.

self-employed

I really have no set timetable. There are days when I'll burn through a book and then there are days when I can't bring myself to so much as look sideways at a book.

Similarly, there are days when I can write upwards of 10,000 words but there are also say where I sit in front of a screen and can't even muster the enthusiasm to finish a sentence.

I am, however, consistent in my editing. Perhaps too consistent. I can often get lost in rewriting a segment to fit with a new idea. 2 of my projects have ended in utter failure because of this.

Okay, good. I hope your business is doing okay.

It's been said that great works of literature are made in the rewriting of a story. Do you agree with that sentiment?

thank you!

I would agree. My most successful work was the result of scrupulous editing and revision. The story was originally intended as an homage to "American Gods" but became its own entity with a wildly different theme and style than I had intended.

That isn't to say that all rewriting is good. At some point you have to settle on the stylistic and thematic choices you've made. If you can't make your story work without wildly altering the setting or the characters, then perhaps you should just start afresh, and believe me, I know how disheartening that can be. But longer you spend on something that just isn't working, the longer it'll be before you have a story you're proud of.

>Hours spent reading each day?
Not much, basically just in checking comments.
>Hours spent writing each day?
Sadly none right now; I need to edit what I'm working on.
>Hours spent rewriting each day?
If editing counts as rewriting, perhaps 2-3. I really hate editing... today I'm going to try to do more than 3 hours editing. I want to have it all done within a week.

>Upper limit for each

>Hours spent reading
Could be up to perhaps 8 if I really have nothing to do and just want/have to read
>Hours spent writing
Oh God... more than 8. I once wrote 10,000 words in 6 hours, but in the entire 24-hour period wrote 15,500 words. I fucking LOVE writing!
>Hours spent rewriting
I hate editing so fucking muuuuuch... 4 hours maybe? It's AGONY! I just want to WRITE! Thankfully lately I've been doing a great job at making quite clean 1st drafts so my editing has been mostly minimal until now. This recent book I'm working on was started several months ago when I was just starting out, before I even self-published my first book, so still had quite a few grammatical errors that at the time I didn't even know were errors.

>I've heard famous writers say that their efforts begin to dimish at four hours or writing/rewriting
Every writer is different. I spoke to a successful author who said he wrote around 13,000 words in one day once but it's really not often he does that. Most days he only writes maybe 2,000 words. I've got a really fast typing speed though; about 60-80 words per minute, so I can really crank out the pages once I get on the role. Coffee is HUGELY helpful in this. I also find coffee can help me buckled down and do some editing. Just this morning after quite a caffeine-injection I just sat down and edited for a solid half-hour. Disgustingly I only got about 9 pages done, which means I average about 18 pages an hour. There's about 190 pages I need to do and I'm only finished about 49 pages so in theory I guess I have about 8 hours of editing to do before I'm finished and thus can continue working on this months-old start to a sequel? Fuuuuuck... I'll get another cup of coffee soon to continue... God damn it...

Thank you for your contribution; that was sound advice. I wonder, though, why you began writing an homage? I always thought that writers wanted to be as original as possible, and paying homage to another work would be completely at odds with that. So, what was your reasoning for that?

Thank you. You sound very frantic; maybe you should drink some water for now and ignore the coffee.

>thanking for the answers

This is some next level desperation. How about you try again at leddit or whatever normie forum you crawled from?

It's probably just the way I write. Not with books, but casually. I've even had one person ask if I was on... what did that Irish person call it... crank? Cocaine basically, but nah, never been into that kind of stuff. I actually used to drink a lot more coffee than I do now, I've cut down a bit, but I really want to get this book edited so I can continue writing so going to get myself some more coffee. Hopefully do a solid hour of editing even though it makes my brain ooze out of my ears. Thanks for the concern though, user. Very kind of you. How much reading/writing/rewriting do you do?

You are being mean. Maybe you are dissatisfied with your life.

I read two hours day. I rewrite two hours a day. I write on the days I am not rewriting, and that's usually for two hours a day.

Fair enough, not everyone has as much time on their hands as I do. Keep plucking away at it. 2 hours a day is great, some people only have time to write once or twice a week.

>I wonder, though, why you began writing an homage?

I had, for some time before that, been stuck in a creative rut, and I kept on coming back to the concept of modern gods as an interesting hook.

I decided to write a novella-length piece on the subject, if for nothing else than to convince myself that I could still finish a story.

As I neared completion, I began to come up with better ideas for the characters. They stopped being referenced and became their own beasts. I abandoned my original premise and reworked the story into its own thing.

Original ideas are what I strive for, yes, but sometimes it's nice to write something to get it out of your system.

I think it's about how much use one makes of their time. For example, if one has impeccable grammar and clear idea of where a scene is going, before they write, their expression of their ideas will be very good. And so time will be saved. That's why I am reading books about grammar. What do you think?

usually not much other then the internet. which I try to limit to about 2 hours max, but once a year I get a big high from my tree in the backyard blooming, and I huff it's bark. Then I write for 2 days straight. It's usually gibberish though....

I've been writing basically as a hobby for around half my life, and I've always tried to have the best grammar I can whether it be in writing, in texting, in chatting, or what have you. So my grammar is pretty damn close to impeccable, I imagine, but reading a book about grammar couldn't hurt I suppose. Read more, that helps. Reading can also increase your vocabulary.

1) all my time with break for Veeky Forums
2) Zero. Absolutely no need for it.
3) 00
4) idc

1. maybe two or three.
2. Usually one.
3. Usually one
5. A billion?

1.) 2.

2.) 4.

3.) 0.

4.) 4, 6 and 2.