ITT:

ITT:

Name your major and the ONE textbook or set of textbooks that a smart beginner can read to give you the best basic introduction to the topic. As a reference guide for aspiring broadly knowledgeable polymaths

Ideally this thread should have single-textbook introductions to the babby level broad basics of all majors such as Mathematics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Law, Political Science etc.

I'll start
>Computer Science
>Introduction to Algorithms, 3rd Edition (MIT Press)
>amazon.com/Introduction-Algorithms-3rd-MIT-Press/dp/0262033844

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Book-Gomorrah-Eleventh-Century-Homosexual-Practices/dp/0889201234/
Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

out

> Civil Engineering
> The Book of Gomorrah by St. Peter Damian
> amazon.com/Book-Gomorrah-Eleventh-Century-Homosexual-Practices/dp/0889201234/

>Get out, the brainlet typed, on a machine whose inner workings he does not comprehend, because he thinks it's just for brainlets and he "could learn it if he wanted to"

>t. stereotype CS major taking credit for EE

>EE
>The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz

>brainlet couldn’t pass a graduate level analysis or algorithms class.
>thinks CS is all programming
>would fail many upper level math intensive proof theoretic CS course’s they rely on advance math.
>brainlet never heard of Homopty Type Theory
>brainlet doesn’t know category theory
>brainlet doesn’t into Algebriac topology

>Homopty Type Theory
literally a meme

A meme worth studying. Get up on my PL level

>Implying computers with no software on them are anything more than bricks

>physics
>Feynman lectures

What I like about them is that you can read them more like a novel than a textbook if you just want to get an idea of what's going on, but they also have all the content you'd need from intro physics courses.

already kind of done: Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Veeky Forums_Wiki

Yep. This is what I was thinking.

> Implying CS majors know algebraic topology, category, or homotopy type theory

pic related is a meme

>cs
These books are the basic prerequisites.

>pinter

pinter's for normies. go for dummit and foote

We don't need the most thorough treatment of abstract algebra, just something to serve as a bridge between linear algebra and category theory. For that purpose Pinter is good enough for computer science education.

Literally this

>Any reasonably smart undergrad with some knowledge in group theory could work this out easily
>It gives an introduction to all the new topics, making the book incredibly self contained
>Gives problems not for the sake of just understanding concepts but has problems at the end of each chapter for understanding how to manipulate concepts for different situations

ITT: call a book a meme

My major is quick maffs.

I would recommend Spivak's differential geometry (all volumes), because meme covers.

I am very interested in this book.

>SICP
literally a meme

Kek no one notices.