Do you think the comic/graphic novel format can have literary validity?

Do you think the comic/graphic novel format can have literary validity?

No.

No. It's the bottom of the Literary barrel haphazardly combined with the bottom of the visual barrel.

be honest, what have you read?

Sometimes, but it can be hard to pull off.

It should be pointed out that Neil Gaiman's comics are infinitely better than his actual books.

Absolutely not. Lower than anime, lower than Saturday morning cartoons. Get fucked, /co/

I think there are some comics and graphic novels that are absolutely worth reading

Calvin and Hobbes, Quimby Mouse, Fungus the Bogeyman...

there are a lot of legitimately interesting "alternative" comics out there, but I feel like it's pretty separate from literature. That's why you start to see terms like "sequential art" pop-up the more serious/pretentious they get. Also, don't read about superheroes ever

I think comics are their own thing, they're an art form separate from literature and shouldn't be compared to literature. The same way a painting can't be literature. I think comic artists do themselves a disservice by striving to be accepted as literature.

If you can't convincingly look like the opposite gender you should give up on your fantasy

Yotsuba&! is quite the literary event.

A bit. They are a narrative art form so they, like movies and opera, share some elements with literature.
But, in practice, they all function in radically different ways. In comics the literary aspect is deeply intertwined with sequenced images, which makes the overall dynamic profoundly different from the typical literary one.
Comics can have developed characters and deal with philosophical themes, if that's what you're aiming at. (It might be argued that they rarely use that potential, though.)

Everything I've seen has been awful.

Does it have fucking words? Then it has the potential for "literary validity." Not a tough question.

LOL

comic books are literal pulp fiction
graphic novels, however, could have some literary merit, like Watchmen for example

Any more like this? (Specifically, the first part with the fantasy world)

It's from Dresden Codak

One of the few to get ironic self-deprecation right

I hate to rule out an entire medium. If a medium uses words, I believe it can have literary validity. Even a commercial can have depth to it.

>Doesn't realize Watchmen is a comic book

Thanks, these are great

Ya, comics are a lot of fun and they have great potential to be deeply philosophical and can tell a really good story. Unfortunately, the comic industry is pretty much filled with left wing wimps and numales so these days the stories are absolutely horrid.