What the fuck is his problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagrin_Falls,_Ohio#Notable_people
youtu.be/NAh9oLs67Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=-xzzQVk5IfE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

rarest of pynchons

S
Ociety is shit and he knew it. American, that is. They show the absurdity of American consumerism and how the only ambition the average American has is to make loads of money so they can buy useless shit.

Absolutely no problem at all. I consider Calvin and Hobbes one of the few comic strips that is artistically on par with most classics and deserving of the same respect

He actually cares about his art.

>outing yourself as a pseud

compare and contrast

these guys get it:

stop posting this shameless forgery.

Sorry to break it to you but Davis is a fraud

He is hiding erection with his left hand.

He is a filthy commie, all this pseudo artists seems to be plagued with it.

Problem? He's a fucking god.

>We're shrinking your strip
Make it the shape I need or I quit
>But you'll lose millions!
Did I fucking stutter?
>We want to make tons of C&H merch and animated specials!
No.
>We can do it anyway! Your contract allows it!
Then I'll quit.
Did I fucking stutter?
>All right, here's your new contract. You win. No merch.
Great. By the way, I'm quitting.
>WWWHHHHHHH?????
You plebs piss me off. Later.

We was the ideal 21st century artist in my opinion

w2c sweater

get gud

Did you guys know the Chester the Molester cartoonist actually was a molester?

Why would you rank a comic strip alongside books, are you retarded? Do you rank shampoo compositions below or above the classics just because they include printed words? You're doing a disservice to Watterson by thinking he has to be "on par with most classics".

I simply meant in terms of merit and value to the potential reader

I always find it really strange that one of Pixar's key writers came from the same tiny town in Ohio (Chagrin Fall, pop: 4,000)

Hell a lot of notable people came out of that town, pretty amazing for the size desu:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagrin_Falls,_Ohio#Notable_people

youtu.be/NAh9oLs67Cw
For those of you who don't understand genius when you see it

We both know you were more about "this is actually art not dumb comics" than merit and value.

I just didn't think it would express my opinion very well to compare it to other comics, given how low the average quality of comic strips generally is

I don't get how "merit and value" isn't literally exactly the same thing as whether something is a good work of art or not

>Filthy Commie
>Literally BTFO of leftists and Commies every strip

He's even spoken about this. He read their books to hear their arguments and then includes entire lines of this text in his own strips to show how retarded they are.
There's an irony in calling someone a pseud while clearly being one yourself. I suppose it's like when antifa are standing there defending free speech by demanding hate speech laws. That's the problem with the left, they aren't right (multiple puns intended).

>mfw i unironically named my son calvin after watterson's character

Literally this

It's a great name, I've always considered it

In fact I've always tried to decide if I should name my future son Mortimer or Calvin

>Mortimer

are you jewish or something? Mortimer is the most feckless name imaginable

C O U N T E R F E I T

mind if i save this?

save it, it's all yours my friend :)

ben garrison is fucking racist
it's funny that the UK is breaking up almost immediately after brexit

This actually made me Kek. Thank you user for posting and thank you Ben Garrison.

Also, I wouldn't say problem. It kind of seems like he just doesn't want to sell out. The man takes pride in his work and he does it for reasons other than financial stability.

>He's even spoken about this. He read their books to hear their arguments and then includes entire lines of this text in his own strips to show how retarded they are.
Source?

You're welcome, bucko

Calvin and Hobbes is fucking excellent! Bill Watterson is an extraordinary man for creating such a philosophical delicacy of a comic strip.

STOP!

You are gonna devalue it by allowing others to simply save it without pay.

i think he turned out okay

Where in that story did he lose millions before he finally quit, dummy?

Bill is a pseud and his comic sucks.

>his comic sucks

the implication of the story is that he decided to forego wealth in favor of integrity. but it's not like he couldn't afford to.

now that's fuck you money

Hey my dad should be on that

Not gonna lie former leave voter here. This is fucking hilarious watching the UK crash and burn. But in all seriousness we can't let them stop rapefugees from coming in.

>most of them are artists
Wow there must be something on the water

>This is fucking hilarious watching the UK crash and burn.

Yeah lol haha so funny HAHAHA LOL!!!!111

He's wearing the large Harold Loyd glasses that take up half his face.

It's not your fault you didn't recognize that /pol/ meme but you might be interested in knowing that it is one

>CAT RAGE ROOM

my mom used to work for a law firm that worked for his publishing company in KCMO

this is offtopic, but i'm really glad that Veeky Forums had a civil discussion about Bill Waterson and there was no "back to /co/" screaming

>>/co/

The PAWS, INC 1978 Garfield Pipe Gag, "Garfield Pipe Strip" by Jim Davis delineates an array of interpretative portrait. John establishes a relationship with the reader instantaneously by assuming the reader may know where his pipe is and in subsequently agreeing to this shared knowledge with the reader he establishes a course of action based on the factual outcome beforehand. In this sense a pretense of not knowing engenders a politics of condescension: a question turned inside out suggesting the reader himself may not be entirely sincere with what he knows relating to his predicament. The logical reason perhaps belonging to the relationship Garfield, then, shares with the reader as the empathetic figure which allegiance is presumed to be shared with. Additionally Davis has orchestrated this set of relations implying he as well plays a role of god figure and in consent to this as reinforced by the number of distributions this comic and the Garfield franchise, by extension, may be said to have. Garfield represents the one who is not only apathetic to the drama moving up to him but the resolution itself as one who refuses to play, his pipe colored a deep purple as symbolic satire to the higher reality of the situation. Jim prepares his initials and date of reaction only after Garfield has agreed to the terms of his behavior in the affirmation silence shares with itself. In coming age Garfield's physique would be formated into a more pleasant and ironic figure to which he grows into as John, characteristically, accepts this underlying reality and comes to accept him as a friend unwittingly. The billion dollar Garfield market as well as its extensive adaptations further represent what we have allowed to happen without specific favor as demonstrated by the origin of it all only opening up to critical analysis decades later.

in the spirit of bullshit happy birthday zizek

You have to realize that he's someone who saw everyone he fucking admired sell out. Every piece of art he loved became shit. The world around him became shit. So he decided to stick to his principles to a degree rarely seen in syndicated cartoonists.

christ, what a fucking legend

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but he kinda was. I'm a trained illustrator, and he's more of a legend in illustration circles than writing circles. Compared to most other syndicated cartoonists, he's an incredibly skilled artist. It's actually really hard for me to get away from his influence, so obviously I'm a bit biased.

Ultimately; it's impossible to truly understand the praise Watterson gets without understanding his artwork.
His writing work was passable, certainly a bit above the average syndicate cartoonist; he was a man who did explore philosophical concepts regularly in his comics.
But it is his skill as a someone making comics that made him, holistically.

that Australian guy is better, why doesn't he get posted?
didn't he just die or something?

percetage of Veeky Forums that gets the reference: 9%

was being sincere
I read CaH as a kid but I've forgotten most of it, I recall the snow stuff being the most fun

I used to love his comics and then one time I borrowed a commentary edition from the school library and in it, he said something to the effect that all graphic novels are stupid and can never be considered art.

I was crushed. I know that a lot of Veeky Forums would agree, but I don't and the for someone to make such a sweeping generalization and devalue an entire medium like that- especially as someone who makes comics for a living, it really hit me hard.

I haven't been able to enjoy Calvin & Hobbes like I used to since then.

I'm sure Alan Moore would disagree too

Which one of you guys..........

no the implication is that he was willing to, not that he did, because his employer didn't want to lose money either, he lost the game of chicken, and let watterson continue in the manner he preferred

The best graphic novels are as good as semi-decent books.
The best rock music is as good as mediocre classical music.
The best videogames are as good as a mediocre movie.

There are certain exceptions, but in 99.999% of the cases what I've said is true and you know it.

So?

I disagree.

This is what he said:

>You can make your superhero a psychopath, you can draw gut-splattering violence, and you can call it a "graphic novel," but comic books are still incredibly stupid.

I pretty sure this is about the general stupidity of superhero comic books rather than the medium as a whole.

it's true

Graphic novels are fucking garbage for children.

>The best rock music is as good as mediocre classical music.
Classical music was ordered by aristocrats. It's an asset produced with refined technique.

Slash motherfucking thread
I wish I could say fpbp
Disappointments

t. never read watchmen

Is Watchmen a masterpiece in and on itself? Is it as deep, insightful and well crafted as the best that literature has to offer? I son't think so.

Regardless, I've said that there are exceptions: Watchmen is not a masterpiece (or at least it is a masterpiece in its own medium, which I was criticizing for its low standards) but I don't see it as mediocre either (quite the opposite, in fact).

holy shit
the pipe strip has a sequel

and you're an obnoxious dickcheese no one wants to hang with, so I guess we ALL lose.

What makes something a masterpiece to you?
I think watchmen meets all the criteria for one.
Not to mention, "in on of itself" is relevant. Art has no intrinsic value.

> comic books on a literature board

This is a masterpiece. The cat has your pipe

Also funny because as good as he is, he'll never top Eisner, who also wrote strips.

As some people pointed out itt, comparing books and comics is stupid, I don't see anyone comparing books and woodcuts or paintings, because everyone understands how asinine it is.

Even if you go and check "literary" comic authors, like Don McGregor, Alan Moore or Chris Claremont, a lot of their work (and I'm a huge fan of the 3 of them) comes out as a bit forced, a bit "mommy momm am I a big boy now?" when compared to someone like Enki Bilal or Moebius.

tl;dr: Anglos are the usual autists who get outplayed even in stuff they invented.

>we wuz

Veeky Forums is so fucking lame

If you need to write on every piece of your drawing what it is supposed to represent, maybe you shouldn't be drawing.

>ben garrison is fucking racist
he's a race realist you reddit cuck
>it's funny that the UK is breaking up almost immediately after brexit
we'll see who does better long term you absolute retard. say hi to abdul when you're prepping him for your wife later

youtube.com/watch?v=-xzzQVk5IfE

this is the timeline I want to live in

>hating on Garfield

You came to the wrong neighborhood.

this.
it's not a metaphor if you fucking label everything, jesus fucking christ. how do people get away with this bullshit?

Garrison is so intent on being political he forgets do make good drawings.

What's the opposite of mediocre?

thank u desu

>Hobbes
>Disdain for authority

Exceptional?

Fucking this, my god