China Mieville

Does Veeky Forums have an opinion? Anything else I should look into?

>When you never left the campus

still trying to articulate exactly what it is about "Embassytown" that irritates me. possibly the almost complete lack of visual references.

I read Perdido and the one about the train about nine years ago. He's got an imagination, I'll give him that. His characters make you feel excluded, however.

>His characters make you feel excluded, however.
Please elaborate.

I hate his name. China is not a persons name and Mieville looks like Melville at a distance and I get irrationally mad when it isn't.

I also first heard of him when a nerd who likes fantasy recommended him. It was one of those nerds who plays DnD but hates Tolkien so I'm assuming he's reddit as shit but I'm willing to admit that that's based entirely on circumstantial evidence and I can retract that opinion at any time.

I hear his arms are huge.

> dislikes writer for his name

> dislikes his work because a retard likes it

you do understand that neither of these are good reasons for not liking his work?

Kek

Like the other poster said, he has an imagination. Some of his short stories are great. But his longer works are either a bit thin on ideas or the ideas seem a bit jammed together without really fitting thematically (see Kraken). His prose is plain and plots predictably told. I like his stuff but he's sub-Gaiman and sub-Pratchett.

OP if you're curious pick up with The City & The City, Looking for Jake, or whatever the first of the perdido street station/scar/iron council series is.

Okay so he's a hack but

BUT

He's hot.

Good imagination (although he 'borrows' from better writers who are obscure) with average writing skills who is mainly popular because editors like him, and editors like him for his politics.

all i want is for china mielville to hold me in his arms like a baby and then choke the ever loving shit out of me

>Read some of his works - puzzled as to what point he was trying to make
>Read his interviews and about his personal life
>Discover that his father left when he was an infant; he is a committed Commie; he is a failed politician
>Suddenly the motivation of his books is obvious

>but what is the author SAYING?
I oppose you and everything you stand for.

Yes. Is there a problem with that, you fucking nitro autist?

fuck i always thought it was a girl

Why?

>China
>India
Why do girls get all the cool place names. Why can't I be called Somalia or Hull or whatever.

>ywn be this happy to draw a weird fanged giraffe

A cheap version of Peake

I fucking feel that. I hated reading perdido. That book sucked ass.

>Anything else I should look into?
gene wolfe book of the new sun

Incredibly shallow works hidden behind flowery prose.

Commie.

Nice Catholic author, good solution.

>The book made no sense in isolation, but with context it did
>I hate you!
I love Veeky Forums

>The book made no sense in isolation
I hate you!

You'd think a man name China would be a tranny feminine boy but it's another example of cultural appropriation

The Scar was great, Iron Council was ok and I enjoyed Un Lun Dun.

But the rest of his stuff is just too... meh.

I learned a surprising amount of art history from Last Days of New Paris, for what that's worth.

I liked peediddy station quite a bit and I will admit I couldn't stop reading it. I dont know about his other works

i want china mieville to choke you to death, as well. let's start a patreon. maybe he accepts commissions.