What does your family and friends think about your writing?

What does your family and friends think about your writing?

In my case my family is overly supportive, to the point i had to argue with my parents all the time because they say i just should try to live as a writer and not get a job (they use Rowling as an example of how it could happen and call me "genius" even through they barely read what i wrote). My friends are slightly better if only because they dont give a fuck about it, which is also bothersome.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/34111012-bully-for-you
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i feel bad for you.

>What does your family and friends think about your writing?

All the pretentious english majors here love my poetry.

I want you to know that I'm having trouble telling if your post is a troll post or sincere, and to reflect on the significance of my inability to tell.

It is not a troll post. Why would it be?

Thanks i guess.

never trust your family's input. they were, are and forever will be unshakeably biased

So you can't write until either your parents stop being so supportive and your friends pay attention or some shit?

Do you even enjoy writing?

What kind of mental jump did you just do? I still write every day. Im just saying my family is kinda too overconfident about my skills.

I had to stop linking all my articles to Facebook because my dad would comment on every single fucking article and it made me feel like a child.

"I'm trying to be PROFESSIONAL, DAD!"

Really stupid.

I gave my uncle a copy of a book I wrote, he blasted through it (and he's not even a big reader), then he called my dad and asked him if I really wrote it.

Then he called him again a few days later just o make sure. He loved it, which was an awesome feeling, honestly. Everybody else has responded much the same, and I know a lot of highly critical, difficult to please people.

I wonder if you are the same guy that from time to time appears on threads and just gets mad without understanding what OP said.

That sounds like an amazing feeling. What was your book about?

post link on goodreads

In a nutshell, it's about an angry, old, drunk looking for a missing kid. Obviously there's a lot more to it than that, but that's the crux.

Sure. I actually have a giveaway going for it right now that runs until about this time next month.

goodreads.com/book/show/34111012-bully-for-you

Did you get any money out of it? Do you know how many people read it? Did you do marketing or just posted it on sites?

Im curious.

They're supportive in a "that's nice honey but when are you going to get a REAL JOB ™" kinda way which pretty much sets the tone for our entire relationsihp

My mom doesn't get it. My dad basically thinks I'm delusional, and it's stupid to even think I could be successful. It's kind of insulting because he doesn't think that being a writer is an unrealistic aspiration, but that ME thinking I could be a writer is. I've actually been published, but I haven't told either of them, probably won't. My fantasy is them walking through a bookstore or something, and just coming a across a book of mine one day.

My brother is the only person I know who's really supportive about it, although I tend to think he has fairly bad taste, but he does seem genuinely blown away by my writing.

Whenever I'd show my mom some short stories I wrote as a kid, she'd excitedly read them and tell me how good I was. Then, when I grew up and actually learned to write something that made sense, she stopped caring.

I haven't really seen much money from it yet, but I haven't done any super serious marketing either. Realistically, I think I've sold something like fifty copies in the month it's been out. That said, I don't really pay much attention to that stuff. My main focus is keeping the pressure on. I believe that if you stay diligent in your efforts (and keep up a certain standard of quality), you'll garner an audience over time whether it's ten people or ten thousand. Writing takes time, and so does getting people to read what you wrote.

Right now, I'm just kind of letting the book sit and do its own thing. I've got three other, smaller releases coming this year, and I've chosen to focus on making them as tight as I can. That way, by the time the actual sequel to "Bully For You" hits this time next year, there'll be a handful of things people can sink their teeth into.

Fifty is a lot for no serious marketing, congratulations again user. I also really like your attitude there.

Dan Burley, you are either very brave to be doxxing yourself on Veeky Forums, or this is an elaborate RP exercise where you are pretending to be Dan Burley.

cool either way I guess.

We'll see how it all shakes out. I just don't see the point in fretting over whether it succeeds or not. Especially with the type of book it is. It has a lot of things in it that will no doubt turn a lot of people off. That said, not everybody will like everything, not will everybody hate everything. It's all about finding the ones you want.

I kind of wish it were the second one, because that would mean I had a really fucking crazy fan, which could be interesting. In all seriousness, user asked, so I answered. If you want to be successful in any art form, you're going to have to deal with other people, and I'm happy to do it whether people hate me and my shit or not.