Zadie Smith

What can Veeky Forums tell me about pic related? I always see women on social media post pictures of themselves reading her books. Is she, dare I say it, our gal?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/06/crazy-they-call-me
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

She thinks big dave was a genius. Bid gave was her hero. She writes books that aren't very good.

She only writes about her falsely perceived persecution due to her genetics. Not very interesting.

(not true by the way)

As a black woman I say it is true, so stop racisting me.

only read white teeth and a couple essays but this is definitely not true. she deals with race pretty realistically. i wonder if you have actually even read anything she's written

Zadie is a total qt, her books aren't that great imo.
White Teeth is good though.

I just said she only talks about race, like all unintelligent people, I didn't say how she does it.

Her husband is a mediocre novelist from northern Ireland and she has a really bad grasp of what happened there

I read On Beauty. The sex scene must have been awkward for her to write.

Never read anything by her but she's a woman so probably shit. Don't bother.

I absolutely loved NW. she can put toghether the real world and her Veeky Forums inflluences very good

She's a fairly good writer. It's the content of her stories that I don't give a shit about.

Lives on my street. Saw her buying milk once.

>I always see women post pictures of themselves reading her on social media

Women were a mistake.

I've read all her books. She's very good when she gets into the explicit nature of women, and their friendships. NW has a lot of great detail about female masturbation I don't think any woman I've read has written honestly about it besides her.

The dialogues are very good, it's a pitched type of writing, the language is subserviant to accent and intonation, not so much as to style. You might as well start with one of her short stories, this one you can listen to her reading it:

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/06/crazy-they-call-me

She's best when writing characters that are less like herself, I just finished Swing Time and the protagonist was boring, which was the point, but even the more interesting characters around her didn't get development. White Teeth has too many ideas in it, but is very entertaining. NW is too experimental for her talents, but has got a lot of great episodes and great sex descriptions that most men or women don't care to write, but are very true. On Beauty is bourgeois, but honest. Autograph Man, although forgettable, I've enjoyed imensely, and plays to the proper outcasts and those who like obscure media and culture.

All in all a good writer, you won't lose much by not reading her, but your not at a loss reading her either.

On Beauty is a conscious re-working of EM Forster's 'Howard's End', but no one on lit seems to have bothered to read Forster.

As contemporary novelists go she's pretty good, White Teeth, NW and On Beauty are all solid-to-good in terms of quality. I haven't read Swing Time but the general impression I get from her is that she is clearly talented and unlike a lot of other contemporary writers, consistent.

I also think big dave was a genius and write books that aren't very good.

White Teeth was an enjoyable read. She is a good storyteller of the modern age. Interesting essays too, probably better than her novels, although I haven't read any other. She gets awards just because she's mixed and muh multiculturalism though, not that awards matter, but she's no canon material.

>falsely perceive persecution

lol

but that's wrong too.I was thinking

A product of the literary elite's current obsession with coming to [x] identity. Like all fads, this too will pass.

Just meh. Another author claimed fame due to miscegenation of publishing.

White Teeth was lackluster, yet comfy.

Faggot

you literally said "falsely perceived persecution" you absolute mongoloid

>it's another woman gets defensive of an author only because she's another woman episode

Go fuck yourself abas with yee, inly severe your very tongue.

why do Brave & Noble People of Colour think they have to walk around in their silly little African outfits?

oooh look at me I'm affirming just how black I am in this baggy dress and headwrap so you won't mistake my light skin for whiteness.

lmao, i never thought of it that way but damn.

i mean she also could just enjoy dressing that way, it does look comfy.

I like her way of talking

She was in love with DFW, but it's ok, she found a new longhair three names rockstar writer.

consider suicide

which is worse: to be a woman, or to be a womanish attention-seeking cad who is so insecure of their own opinions that they idpol their way out of possible dissenting opinions?

by the way, you stupid motherfucker, i agree with you completely, i just think the people of different races were represented very realistically. clara is an entitled, unlikable girl who assigns her frustration to her race rather than to the fact that she's actually horrible. she shacks up with the first white man who's willing to give her the time of day. her mom is literally almost retarded because she's jamaican. samad is a typical selfish, haughty muslim, alsana is somehow even haughtier. irie has a baby and doesn't know who the fucking father is, and has major ethnic anxiety because her mom miscegenated to get ahead.

i fucking hate men, and i hate you especially, you fucking pseud newfag moron

Karl Ove is just one name.

I don't know. Probably you.

Why do women have to make a big deal out of everything?
Go back to Pinterest

Thats cool

Muck I just want you to know I will fly you to Monte Carlo for a romantic weekend getaway if you deigned to go on a date with me. I would dump my current gf take out several credit cards in her and my name and then lavish you with treats the likes of which you've never seen. I want to love you so badly...

Where was this taken?

Idk youv canf ind(fuckig phobe case wont letme yupe) it in google images (typing really carefully now), there are lots of pics of them together, maybe she seduced him & maybe thats why he and his wife got div'd

You're one nasty cunt.

because we're by necessity more emotionally similar to children than to men. of course, many men (e.g., you) are as well, but this is a failure of manhood rather than a criterion of it

i'd love to go there, i spent a week in sorrento a couple years ago and felt very at home in the climate. unfortunately, vacations aren't as pleasant when you're obliged to sleep with someone during them

implying she would need to seduce anyone. look at her cheekbones for god's sake. even i'm considering leaving my wife for her

She's an attention seeking roastie, no go

She looks like she wants to tell me about the patriarchy.

>i'd love to go there, i spent a week in sorrento a couple years ago and felt very at home in the climate. unfortunately, vacations aren't as pleasant when you're obliged to sleep with someone during them
the offer stands platonically. and if you ever change your mind just know I think we'd be the best of friends.

I'm leaving lit
Why does this board have so many trip fuckers like this. It's like r9k now.

Fuck all the beta orbiters who try to talk to this girl too, it's probably a man or a trap
I want my 2010 Veeky Forums back

What are some other sites like Veeky Forums for discussion?

see you tomorrow faggot

I was more interested in what events lit figures go to to hang out

that guy with the funny monte carlo invitation was literally the only positive "male attention" i have ever received. people were a lot nicer to me when they thought i was a dude, and if it didn't feel so weird to deny my own gender, i would just lie and say i was. also, i was here in 2010, and i think i was using the same trip. so, hello, old friend

most good lit forums are genre-specific and not very active (Veeky Forums is probably the most fast-moving one i've ever used). you're best off making friends who read a lot and just talking among them. of course, you're here because you have no friends, so that's not an option

Now that black people are wearing fake glasses, does that mean the stupid meme fashion will finally die?

Even when I have Veeky Forums randomized her fucking cancer is apparent. Kill this person please.

Yeah sorry just lost an online card game & was pissd

i tried reading nw and it was like fucking slam poetry. i very rarely abandon books but jesus, leftist female contemporary writers really don't help themselves.

Quit hearthstone as soon as possible.

It was durak

Fucking commie.

she wants her headscarf to be her dfw bandana so badly

i shat keks

White Teeth, Chapter 1, 1st paragraph:

>Early in the morning, late in the century, Cricklewood Broadway. At 06.27 hours on 1 January 1975, Alfred Archibald Jones was dressed in corduroy and sat in a fume-filled Cavalier Musketeer Estate face down on the steering wheel, hoping the judgement would not be too heavy upon him. He lay forward in a prostrate cross, jaw slack, arms splayed either side like some fallen angel; scrunched up in each fist he held his army service medals (left) and his marriage license (right), for he had decided to take his mistakes with him. A little green light flashed in his eye, signaling a right turn he had resolved never to make. He was resigned to it. He was prepared for it. He had flipped a coin and stood staunchly by its conclusions. This was a decided-upon suicide. In fact it was a New Year's resolution.

- misuse of the word "prostrate" in the very first paragraph. if his head is on the steering wheel it is literally not possible for him to be prostrate in his car. "prostrate" is not the same as "slumped".
- retarded christian imagery
- retarded "ooohh my life is so hard i'm gonna kill myself but wait i bet you won't guess what kind of wacky hijinks are gonna get me out of this XD" opener
- "for he had decided"

White Teeth, Chapter 1, 3rd paragraph:

>Whilst he slipped in and out of consciousness, the position of the planets, the music of the spheres, the flap of a tiger-moth's diaphanous wings in Central Africa, and a whole bunch of other stuff that Makes Shit Happen had decided it was second-chance time for Archie. Somewhere, somehow, by somebody, it had been decided that he would live.

...purple prose

she's not even remotely /ourgirl/, she fucking sucks