Is it actually possible to end aging, or is that just another pop-sci pipedream?

Is it actually possible to end aging, or is that just another pop-sci pipedream?

youtube.com/watch?v=MjdpR-TY6QU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/C25qzDhGLx8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You should always take that pop-sci promulgators say with a grain of salt. Their job is to enthusiast the masses about science not being 100% realistic and accurate because that makes people go away.
The progress we made in the last 2 century were exponential and possibly absurd, so I think it can happen, maybe not overnight like they may lead you to believe

Good goy. Another 25 years until retirement.

If you stayed healthy forever why would you give a fuck about retiring? Does your life suck that hard that you are just waiting for the day you can start decomposing in your armchair? Maybe you should get a different job. This arguement of “the jews will just work you forever!” is fucking retarded. If you live healthy forever retirement isnt even necessary. Even if life is meaningless to you without a period of time at the end of it where you get to be a lazy fuck, at least you have 100% automation to look forward to. Which, to be honest, will probably occur not too long after biological immortality. Quit fearing science and accept the fact that shit is amazing, and living forever just means experiencing more amazing shit. When you get tired of amazing shit, blow your brains out. Sounds like a good life to me, and anyone else who isn’t clinically retarded and/or depressed.

>Is it actually possible to end aging, or is that just another pop-sci pipedream?
just another pop-sci pipedream.

I certainly hope it happens soon enough. If it doesn't I guess I'll try cryonics.

I also donate to sens.org

nay, immortality was already solved during the 1960's. I'm not going to tell the source though, but it seems the CIA doesn't want a dystopian society

You and I and everyone who wasted time in this thread is going to die.

The only hope is for your potential children, who can have all the bad alleles teased out with CRISPR/Cas9.

It is absolutely possible. Will it ever be feasible is a tougher debate.

Time is a social construct

>It is absolutely possible.
Even if you assume you can end senescence (big fucking if), that doesn't rule out environmental aging like exposure to ultraviolet or accumulating toxins in the bloodstream or simple wear-and-tear on joints (arthritis).

What if we borrow some mutated cells from Turritopsis dohrnii and make sure our telomeres never shrink by harvesting telomerase from cancer cells?

If it was they were to find a method that worked, they would first test it on a small number of humans and let them get old to confirm it worked and see what unanticipated side effects it might have. It probably wouldn't be available to you in your lifetime.

Possible, to some degree, yes, certainly.

Significant life extension before you die? Probably not.

I mean we cure or mitigate some things that cause death every day (no one dies from old age itself), but it's generally a slow plodding process. A few major breakthroughs are on the horizon, but none of them are going to make you "effectively immortal". Barring a dark age, in thousands of years, yes, we may live hundreds or thousands of years under ideal circumstances, but you'll be dust by then.

Not that it should discourage anyone from trying - we didn't get to where we are now in a single generation.

Anything except brain is purely a question of money.
Just replace everything else with artificial organs.

Telomeres aren't a problem user, get epitalon

It will be easier if we meme this to lots of people

it's more of a reality than long distance space travel

Well one may kinda require the other.

>Just replace everything else with artificial organs.
Why use artificial? Just take some stem cells, gestate a clone, remove it's frontal lobe, keep it safe and let it mature. Keep it alive until I need a heart or something then carve that fucker open. He won't mind.

artificial
adjective UK /ˌɑː.tJˈfJʃ.əl/ US /ˌɑːr.t̬əˈfJʃ.əl/
made by people, often as a copy of something natural

you're retarded

I didn't ask for a definition, brainlet

I really hate 'kurzgesagt'

they are the pinnacle of pop-sci and the reason a stupid hipster nanotec-startup will accidentally cause the gray goo because they didn't think about repercussions...

Clones are still made my nature. They are every bit as natural as you are, only difference being we select their DNA to be identical to an existing human and inject an egg with that DNA. After that point, everything happens the same as any other human.
This is a bad idea. Im usually on the side of saying that moralfags are pussies and are holding back science but this is just barbaric. Not to mention it would require tons of infrastructure to keep the clones alive and any disease that you are genetically predisposed to, the clone would be aswell. Transferring organs would very likely result in the same problem occuring in the new organs, since things like cancer are mostly genetic, with the remaining risk factor coming from your lifestyle, which also would likely be the same.

CRISPR gene therapy to add onto telomeres would effectively stop you from aging. This combined with NAD+ therapy at regular intervals would make your body effectively not change over time. Your cells can regenerate with no degradation in function quite easily. The problem comes after copies of copies of copies of copies start to have a few errors in them. This is literally the cause of aging. By extending your telomeres, which are the parts of your DNA that protect against functional errors, your cells could be made to replicate flawlessly every time. No more wrinkles, no more grey hair, no more organ failure, no more aging.

Senescence is but one cause of what we generally refer to as "aging", and indeed, even if we put an end to it, I doubt how much extra time that'd really give you. It'd vary rather wildly with the individual, but on average I wouldn't expect more than 20-30 years out of that alone. Gunk builds up and things beak, regardless of how efficiently cells are replaced (at least until you get into magic Wolverine levels). A lot of systems simply don't replace cells all that often - and then you get into brain problems.

Not that most or all of these problems won't be solved eventually, again, barring a dark age, but probably not in time for this generation, or the next few dozen. You might see life expectancy go up 5-20%, if things go well in the for the remainder of the century, but I wouldn't pin hopes on more than that.

>Not that most or all of these problems won't be solved eventually,
It will also probably reveal several new problems in the process. Cancer and heart disease are such big killers now, because it used to be most people didn't live long enough to be killed by them (cancer being, at the moment, inevitable with age). Alzheimer's maybe a similar case, and as we push the limits, new age related diseases may crop up that used to be extraordinarily rare, simply because so few lived long enough to experience them, such as frontotemporal dementia, senile myocardium, and the like.

>Clones are still made my nature.
I think what you meant was what humans think clones are made by nature.

Agreed. Such effort put into making their mediocre cartoons and so little into actually presenting a full picture of the matters.

>Kurzgesagt
>life is meaningless, goyim! Embrace nihilism!
>Support the EU and immigration!
>Don't have children if you're white!
>Support our patreon!

One of the biggest hurdles is that increasing cell division leads to rejuvenation, but also cancer. Killing off sluggish cells leads to degeneration. A happy medium is achieved by undergoing intermittent caloric restriction. This stops cells from dividing as quickly (as trying to do so in the absence of sufficient energy and nutrients leads to death, and caloric restriction decreases growth factors). It also kills off damaged cells and leads to the activation of gene pathways which repairs cells. The downside is that you won't be as physically impressive. E.g. if you keep your bone cells healthy, your bone structure will be slightly less robust as the cells don't divide as much. Same thing with all other cells in your body. Perhaps a combined approach of periods of caloric restriction + very healthy lifestyle + brief periods of stem cell therapy + growth factors, mixed with surgical and other interventions for major deterioration could already extent lifespan by like 20 years.

It is possible but for some reason big money isn't flowing into biotech shit like sens. So it's unlikely that we will benefit from it, I'd say there's a 90% chance we're going to die a boring age related death. But if you have the money invest in biotech longevity. If you end up dying, which is likely, at least you tried to get it developed

It's good until the years start to mold together and you forget your childhood, your parents, your first time experiences, and anything that had once made your life unique and interesting and you just be come a part of the senseless horde. Its good to have so nothing that forces you to quit while you're ahead.

why the fuck is /pol/ here ?

They have a lot of sources that you can follow up on, though. I think its definitely better than a lot of other popsci.

>Why are you making a political comment about an overtly political series?

Their sources are either all misleading (the immigration episode), or just dubious (the anti-aging foundation kickstarter).

this unironically

Can't human longevity be artificially lengthened by dealing with telomeres and telomerase and shit?

Ending ageing would lead to the total stagnation of society. Old people wouldn't die off and let the young move things forwards, they'd keep things like in the olden days when they were young.

Look at how old people react to the Internet, scared of it and trying to regulate/ban it. Now imagine that 90% of voters are centuries old and terrified of anything they didn't know before they were 30 years old.

>This video was funded by the Open Society Foundation.

Voluntary genocide

because pol is a leaky containment board where there's so much shitposting that many threads end up looking like the chat of a twitch stream, where everyone posts but no one bothers reading

because of this, poltards come to sci and other slow boards to share their infinite wisdom on how the jews are behind everything, hitler did nothing wrong, and why climate change is fake news.

>but it seems the CIA doesn't want a dystopian society

i know this is a gay joke but if the CIA actually have such tech it would be sad, because our society has been dystopian for... I think its been like that since the beginning of time.

desu we might as well go full retard because going half retard is literally degenerate.

>doesn't want anyone who isn't outside their club to know about it
I'm sure there's already been those who've faked their death by natural cause and are being kept biologically healthy indefinitely.

Death is necessary for any society. If you think we can actually stop aging, you’re delusional.
New health problems will arise, and you WILL go mental, you WILL get cancer, or simply probality will kill you one day.
As I’m tired of mentioning in this threads, humanity, as a whole, is already immortal through reproduction, so just make white kids and return to the place you came from, fucking freak.

t. Brainlet

youtu.be/C25qzDhGLx8

maybe you don't deserve to be unique if you can't find a way to break free from permanent wageslavery with 200+ years of practice

Yes.

>falling for the grey goo meme

1. Body alterations
2. Utilize that one jellyfish that regresses back into infant state after a certain point/ ages backwards and forwards/
3. Turn yourself into whatever we define as a ghost.