Geology

Can Simeone tell me what kind of mineral this is? I have had it for awhile.

Other urls found in this thread:

primary.world-aluminium.org/processes/anode-production/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its coal

It's more dense and won't burn. It also has an oil like shine to it.

tell some properties, like hardness, mass, is it soluble in whater, how fast it takes on fire, it looks like coal or graphite but im no geologyst

It actually looks somewhat like Galena to me, with micro-crystals. Are those shiny things in the photo crystals or do they look more pure black?

Fossilized Dino-poop

It's 270 grams can't scrape it with my nail. Can probably break it with a weak hammer strike.

The eroded side and hand for scale. It's about 10 cm long and 5 cm wide. 4 inches and 2 inches wide.

Looks like asphalt
Could be the naturally occuring kind that comes from petroleum tar

Where did you find it user?

Found it in Norway. As of tar It's hard and not soft. Can't be molded in any way.

It's nothing worth killing a thread over, impolite sage.

It's black uranium.
RIP OP

Is there a single thread on Veeky Forums worth living

What if I told you I had someone lecturing geology look at it and they could not answer properly? Aside from that it's something else than mathematics. Even tho math is great.

Asphalt is hard and not soft, what I meant is that asphalt can occur naturally from evaporated petrol tar.

did you find it as part of a rock outcrop or was it a rock found on the side of the road/near a railroad?

Found it near the ocean.

if it's not asphalt it could be obsidian but it doesn't look angular enough (also not a mineral)

Does not look like it. If you.take a look on the eroded side (3rd picture) you can see it looks like a lot of cylinders going through the rock.

Looks like obsidian or glass.

Looks like silicon carbide to me. Samples like yours do not occur naturally, so where did you get it OP? Were there similar rocks lying around the area you found it? Did someone give it to you?

Geobro here. Are there visible crystals in the rock? How brittle is it? Does it feel dense? It appears to be a rock rather than a mineral. Are there any visible crystals?

If you could take a video of it moving the camera around it that would make identifying it much easier. I'm thinking igneous since you found it by the ocean. Can you scratch glass with it? Sorry if I'm throwing all this shit at you I'm kinda drunk rn and need info

double chocolate brownie of the Ghirardelli variety.

That's certainly a specimen that you've got on your hands. Make sure to empty out all of the fudge packet on top of it and let it cool for about fifteen minutes.

anthracite?

Thanks for the suggestions geodudes. But I can't see the similarities.
There are visible crystals, and it seem like it's only made up of 1 thing. Here is a close up of one of the crystals.

It looks like coal infused in quartz.

Strange

I'm flipping through my field guide right now. If we could determine the hardness, it would go a long way towards identifying it. Do you have any steel nails, or other similarly soft steel objects around to try and scratch it with? I'm assuming it's mostly black/dark grey in color and the mineral Hedenbergite is a current candidate.

That is one HUGE fucking chunk of pot resin

Also try to see if it can scratch glass or a copper penny.

On the hardness scale I would probably put it on 4.5. It also have an oil like shine to it. However you can't remove that. Reflects blue and purple even if it looks black.

>On the hardness scale I would probably put it on 4.5
Are you just pulling this out your ass or did you actually test it?

A knife does scrape it. Not putting too much force on the blade tho.

>4.5

Well that really narrows it down. Nothing in my Audobon book has a hardness in that range with a similar appearance, and without any specifics on it's compisition it's gonna be damn near impossible to find in my other guides. Sorry OP but you have some really random ass mineral on your hands.

Just out of curiosity though where *exactly* did you find it? As in what were the surroundings?

That's not how Moh's hardness scale works.

Failed one semester of geology and I know more about this shit than you. Embarrassing.

It was a rocky beach. However I saw nothing else like it. As of the Moh's, I just googled it and did what it said.

It looks like a certain type of coke, if I'm correct, then it may infact be "needle coke".

Scrape that last thing even if I did damage it with a knife I scraped it on my bedroom window and you can actually scrape glass.

Im revising my asphalt guess to it being petrol coke as well. I agree with user

>knows how mohs scale works
>failed a semester of geology

how did you fail tho? that makes you smarter than half the people who pass geology 101 most places

Looks like brownie.

Not sure how many asphalt types there are. However I can't find a picture with it in 1 chunk. Also asphalt is hydrophobic as far as I am concerned. This piece is not.

As of now I need something to fill that crack in my window.

I like this thread

It's faggite

>it may infact be "needle coke".
Long shot here: can it be baked carbon anode material?

On the Norwegian west coast there are many aluminium refineries due to access to vast amounts of electric power. And a lot of industrial junk was dumped in nature without a second thought back in the day.

OP, was this near such a plant?

>Can Simeone tell me what kind of mineral this is?
It's Argentinium

No, not as far as I am concerned. I try to match these and what matches the mostly in color scheme is carbon and silicon. It may be synthetic as far as I am concerned.

>Argentinium
Excellent use of a typo, next level pun. 10/10

Not him but we basically had a 500 page book with something like 200 different minerals, practically a reference book, that we needed to memorise.

Well, a "baked carbon anode" is indeed carbon...

Indeed, however I don't see the crystalline structure as the piece I have. However all I can do is compare pictures from google. And I don't see it.

It will.give you superpowers

/THREAD

>baked carbon anode
I searched for "spent baked carbon anode" and found pic.

Src is a Norwegian aluminium plant.
>primary.world-aluminium.org/processes/anode-production/

It appears crystalline but it might be the result of interactions with the electrolyte.