Why is medicine so unobjective and poorly quantified?

Why is medicine so unobjective and poorly quantified?

Take something incredibly basic like Heart Rate that billions of people measure with smart watches or HR monitors or manually.
There is no standard range for what is normal.
No i don't mean like "athletes can have low heart rates!"
I mean half the community believes the range is 60-100 and the other half believes it is 50-90.

What the fuck are they doing?

Other urls found in this thread:

statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-626-x/2012001/t004-eng.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is statistics?

Something they don't do enough of

Why do you think it's important to standardize these things? Judgements like bradycardic and tachycardic are typically made based on general patient presentation as well as the sign itself. Like if I had a patient who was A&Ox2, pale and diaphoretic with a HR of 45, I'd probably say they were bradycardic. Whereas if I had a patient who was A&Ox4, pink and warm with a HR of 45 I'd probably say that's a normal heart rate for them. The interpretation of "objective" signs is pretty subjective, actually.

because i can't know where i fall in the distribution for people like me

This is one of the reasons why medicine is not considered STEM.

More anti-medicine propaganda from this board. What a surprise. Let me guess, you think doctors don't treat the disease and instead are too focused on symptoms, or you think doctors need to focus on the whole person. Perhaps you'd like me to try using Man 1 Man Oil.

I think doctors are slaves to the powers of capitalism and time, they're good people in a field that needs a revolution

This can be said for most STEM fields desu.

>STEM
>TEM
>EM
>M
>MEDICINE

Science
Technology
Engineering
Mathematics

But you can?
statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-626-x/2012001/t004-eng.htm

The normal heart rate ranges (as well as blood pressure and respiratory rate ranges) are rules of thumb for quickly identifying potentially critical patients. They're used by triage in ERs and stuff. The reason why there's more than one "normal" range is because different hospitals follow different protocols.

afkingleaftho

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK

YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT FOR MALES AGED 20-39 THE AVERAGE HEART RATE IS 67 BEATS A MINUTE

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME

there are alot more overweight people then you think

This and the fact that virtually every Canadian male 20-39 is a caffeine user, which shifts everyone up by 10-15bpm.

are you implying that the average resting heart rate of a healthy male in the age range of 20-39 is below 67 bpm?

I'm skinny and I just clocked my at 86 beats per minute.

I'm probably fucked.

how old are you

Had a coffee 5 hours ago and I'm on my third beer.

yes peak testosterone levels causes the hearth to be the strongest and most efficient in the age ranges of 20-39

you're fucking fine, you're being trolled by the people above

my resting HR is in the low 80s and doctors assure me it's fine (and ecg came back clean), just a bit higher than average.

how much do you drink on average?

Yeah, probably. I mean I'm 23 years old, 30 pounds overweight, and drink 3 cups of coffee a day and my resting heart rate is like 45. All my parents and grand parents have heart problems so it's not like I'm some kind of genetic fluke.

except heart rate drops with age you double nigger
you can even see this on the fucking leaf plots

>how much do you drink on average?
Way too much, but I've been taking breaks. When I drink it's usually 3-6 beers per day; particularly after a break I will easily drink 6-8. Then it tapers off and when I run out (I buy a 24 pack) I wait a few days before buying more.

In social situations I typically drink until I black the fuck out, it's just lubricant for talking and I quickly lose control.

Only beer though, no spirits, no wine. Nothing harder than a beer.

how long have you been drinking that much?

Not only does the heart rate drop with age but also the volume pumped per heart beat
So what im trying to say is the healthier you are the lower your heart rate is and also the younger you are the higher heart rate your heart can handle

So older people have weaker hearths because of lower testosterone levels
and the weaker your hearth the less it can pump in beats per minute and volume per beat

Oh, a long time now. Most of my adult life. So for the last 10 years, almost daily.

Some of the breaks I've taken have been months but I've never gone more than a year without drinking beer.

I'm well aware it's too much.

why the fuck was this insight on average HR per gender/age-range hidden from me

if you are overweight you will have a high resting heartrate, it isnt a permanent thing and it will go back down if you lose weight, this is natural and you arent fucked

also any stressful/anxious situation (including being anxious about what your heart rate is) will skyrocket your heart rate. in psych wards for anxious patients think the average heartrate is like 100+

Sounds about right. I was nervous during a medical assessment that preceded some interviews and had a resting rate of 100-110 bpm.

Can anxiety cause me to lose my erection?

Asking for a friend.

of course

orgasm is a great stress reliever though, at least temporarily

also there is literally no solid definition on how and when to measure resting heart rate

is it only valid in the morning?
how long do you have to be idle?
sitting or lying down?

stress =/= anxiety
you can be stressed and still be in control of a situation. whereas anxiety is an uncontrollable response to a situation perceived as threatening.

>don't really have much faith in doctors because they're too hurried and don't have enough time to objectively analyze patients, which is why healthcare is shifting to the patient
>have literally no reason to believe anything is wrong with me
>almost certainly a hypocondriac autistic shut in nerd
>everyone older than me is getting fed up with me worrying about my health
>lined up an echo so i can confirm, even for the depths of my autism, that nothing is wrong

Resting heart rate stays within a range at all times 50-80 bpm. It decrease at when sleeping.

If you do exercise it will increase. Besides why do you care so much about heart rate? Hypochondriac?

It's the distant shouting of a man who has been proven wrong and is now angry because the methodology doesn't meet the most unreasonably stringent standards he can imagine. This is a very typical tactic in internet discourse.

yes, see i probably check my HR hundreds of times a day via optical HR [smartwatch], o2 sat monitor, 2 lead ecg and manual measurement, even though basically zero of them are actually "resting"

so yeah i've taken over 1000 ecgs with a kardia monitor, and submitted hundreds of ecgs which all come up perfectly fine (i think this has cost me 3-4k, but it's a pittance.)

but as a result i know extremely well the delta HR for regular activities and what is abnormal

obsessive compulsions do have an advantage

the methodology for measuring resting HR has not been defined at all

They haven't defined "informed consent" either but that doesn't stop the anti-pedo crowd.

Because it took me 8 years to get a pharmD and by the time I was finished all I cared about was paying off my 150k loans and buying things to patch up my depression.
It's a fucked system.

I'm 32 and unemployed and in less debt than you.

>tfw resting is 88-90 bpm
Please tell me I'm going to die soon
Please

All I can tell you user, is if you live long enough, you will die. It's guaranteed.

What if I don't live long enough?

Thanks for letting me know
I'm also unemployed

pharmacy work is literally super easy unless you work in a compounding pharmacy/hospital, just put the pills in the bag idiot

I can't find a job
the market is completely saturated

if you are willing to move there are jobs literally everywhere

There aren't.
pharmacymanpower.com

That's what you get for trying to get a white-collar cashier's job.

Should have gone into the trades my man.

yeah so HR is the easiest determination that something 'is not right'

too high = something not right
too low = something not right

you then get real professions like microbiologists cardiologists etc to figure out whats causing it.

This.

How many hundreds and thousands of papers have you read identifying simple approaches and naturally occurring compounds that treat a given problem better, and with fewer side effects? Yet, decades later, no follow up, completely unused, never will be used. Bullshit ads all over the place pretending we're fighting disease and human misery for all we;re worth, and it's the big struggle, etc!

All bullshit. The control and regulatory structures in medicine, education, and practice, fundamentally bar meaningful progress that doesn't rake in the cash for medical suppliers, distributors, and of course, pharmaceutical companies.

The bulk of the human species are content cattle to be milked for all they're worth, then harvested, and thrown away. Cattle are cattle, the only thing that differs in their lives and fate is the farmer. The farmer must be crushed and replaced.

>what is stats
>what is a ROC

get rekt pleb