Im a dumbass

Im a dumbass

How does moore's law effect everday life? every 2 years there should be a NEW CPU that is double the speed of another

or every 2 years there should be an IPHONE that is double the previous? which is bullshit cause phones dont get that much more powerful every 2 years

what does it even mean? i think its a bullshit meme, cause if shit doubles in power every year than technology wouldnt be what it is today

Also shit like cars should be more efficient every 2 years, or more faster every 2 years etc but i dont see this happening in the real world

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eponymous_laws
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Moore's law only applied to integrated circuits and systems and was an observation and prediction rather than a true law. This law stemmed from the rapid growth of the tech industry and processes. The curve has slowed as tech nears the technical limits of what electric circuits can handle.

Moore's second law says that computers with the same power will get cheaper this definitely holds true. My hard drive which holds a terabyte of space costs about the same as one that would hold mere megabytes in the 90s.

Phones get more powerful every year, you may not think they are but pick up an old iPhone and weep at the time it takes to do anything and you will understand.

Cars do get more efficient gradually with the introduction of different fuel delivery systems and turbos and using smaller efficient engines to power electric motors.

Making a car faster is pretty pointless because they already go much faster than the safe road speeds but they are still doing it.

> limits of what electric circuits can handle
Yeah. We're at a bit of a plateau on Moore's Law. Moore's Law is about how many calculations a computer can do per second. Currently, the materials we use can't handle the heat caused by going any faster. The plateau will be beaten by quantum computing.

>every 2 years there should be a NEW CPU that is double the speed of another

No, every 2 years the transistor capacity in a given IC should double. Doubling transistors doesn't mean doubling performance. How those extra transistors are implemented in the IC is what defines the new speed (among dozens of other variables).

Anyway, why did we let Moore name his stupid hypothesis a "law" again?

Murphys law, Poes law, every strange but mysteriously correct supposition about the world is a law.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_eponymous_laws

We didn't. Other people did it for him.

He just made an observation.

My favorite of those laws is Cole's Law.

It refers to most recent tech developments, not fucking consumer electronics lol (which are intentionally shit quality and extremely disposable). Also it's not scientific, it's just an observation someone coined. Saged and reported, this is a science and mathematics board.

It's a not a scientific law, retard. Just like Set Theory isn't a scientific theory, or Computer Science isn't a scientific science. These are all general usages of words.

>The plateau will be beaten by quantum computing.
He doesn't know what quantum computers are

The limit will be beaten by 2D materials forming classical computers enabling vertical stacking.

Moore's "law" isn't a law.

I wish I could reach through my monitor and strangle every moron that posts this image.

Its a meme.

Sorry bud, but it's an accurate image. Technology IS coming to a plateu at best.

More like a theory than a law

It hasn't held for years.
Also, why should more computational power make better cars? ECU's are already really underpoweree machines, if anything, they would just get cheaper.

It's not just the heat. Circuits have become so small that tunnelling currents can cause significant internal leakage.

I wish I could reach through my monitor and strangle every moron that reacts to that pic with this canned phrase.

Moore's law is sort of like an empirical law rather than a predictive one
So it's not always necessarily true

>every 2 years there should be a NEW CPU that is double the speed of another
No, that has absolutely nothing to do with moores law.

>or every 2 years there should be an IPHONE that is double the previous?
again, completely unrelated to moores law.

>which is bullshit cause phones dont get that much more powerful every 2 years
obviously.

>Also shit like cars should be more efficient every 2 years
THAT IS ENTIRELY UNRELATED, it doesn't even have ANY connection. At least with your last to statements you didn't manage to hit an ENTIRELY UNRELATED FIELD OF STUDY.

Aside from that moores laws is practically dead anyway.

>and was an observation and prediction rather than a true law
but that's basically what most scientific laws are. scientific laws are in some ways weaker than theories, which is something most people don't seem to understand.