How is Veeky Forums's semester going? Studying hard?

How is Veeky Forums's semester going? Studying hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

thenewatlantis.com/publications/shop-class-as-soulcraft
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hardly, I stopped trying. My student life consists of bullshitting the reading and starting my assignments the morning they are do.

i'm drunk. i just finished a project, and now i only have 20 pages to write in the next two weeks, so im taking a night for myself

Im planning to drop out.

how?
i think this attitude can only come from going straight into college/uni out of high school, and not really appreciating the opportunity you have. even if you don't end up liking what you're doing you're miles better off seeing it to the end.

I regret not going to trade-school.

thenewatlantis.com/publications/shop-class-as-soulcraft

stayed home today because I couldn't stop sneezing

due*
You're right. If I were to do it over, I wouldn't have gone to university with such haste and my undergrad probably wouldn't be the mess that it is. I have full intention of finishing, I just have an unmotivated, half assed mentality towards it. I'm doubtful of its usefulness - I'll probably end up going to a 2 year college for a more practical skill following graduation.

Sorta. I do all of my assignments early so I get more time to read my own stuff. I barely show up on campus unless it's absolutely necessary.

Sounds sad but I'm in my last year anyways so I'm gonna have to find a career before I graduate

wtf can you do with a general English degree lol

I'm soon to graduate with the same degree, and I don't intend on using it. Thank god my parents paid or it, hahaha.

mines on loan

>Taking out a loan for an English degree
What were you thinking?

dropped my classes but my next quarter starts in april :3

Grad school is going well. I spent all afternoon yesterday madly finishing Moby-Dick for a Hawthorne/Melville class, and got it done. Recently turned in a paper on Julius Caesar for my Shakespeare class, in which we today began Richard II. It's my first go through most of the English history plays, so I'm intrigued.

Student loan, it's interest free

>this thread
Veeky Forums is literally just /undergrad/ isn't it.

actually yes, a bit

Please take a minute to think about how stupid you are, thank you.

>t. literal child

About to obtain my PhD. Feels good

in what

What are you going to do instead.

Obviously a thread like this is going to attract students

I graduated two years ago and truly miss my undergrad days, despite being miserable during them

That's a great play, user-- I read it in a Shakespeare Tragedies Class in which we also read the 4 History Play sequence from R2 to H5-- because I actually liked doing research and writing papers I sometimes find myself missing school. R2, at any rate, is definitely in my top 5 so far as 'the plays of Shakespeare' are concerned.

Me too desu, on my final semester and really struggling to find the motivation to get my final projects done. Doesn't help knowing that my degree leaves me with absoloutely zero decent prospects (Sociology, kek). Got some I.T experience before coming here so considering getting into networking again.

gender studies

I fucking hate uni but at least I have lots of free time and relative anonymity around campus

i gotta choose between reading kafka's the process and kundera's unbereable lightness etc then take a test about the book i chose
i feel kinda confused. what do you guys think?

Are people at the top tier universities really more interesting and capable?
I am finishing undergrad at a pleb tier "yoonay" and going to into basically my dream program for postgraduate, will people actually be smart? Will there be people who have things to talk about other than "haha i drank so many vodkas last night and then I THREW UP ALL OVER THE PLACE haha"

Also finishing course at a pleb tier uni, the teaching has been dreadful.. my lectures/seminars make up one and a half days of the week, da fuq am i paying for? What kind of postgrad are you getting into desu?

Low Tier Unis = normies, dudebros and failures

High Tier Unis = psueds, posturers and SJWs

No actually I am just like that other user and I spent 2 years at a CC before transferring to state. I commute and live at home to save my parents monies

Computational physics, switching from CS
Same on my course, I had to lie on all my postgraduate applications about the requirements because my uni just didnt teach anything beyond extremely basic, qualitative things, we literally didnt even learn boolean logic because people couldnt handle a "for" loop in Java
I learned more from reading internet programming tutorials than university

Unbearable Lightness is nice, and it's the more popular of the two, so you're more likely to meet someone else who's read it and be able to discuss it with them.

all my professors are so great this semester. i honestly almost dislike it, i'm not used to feeling anxiety about disappointing my instructors

that's not too bad user, you can bang that out in the first week and spend the next revising. i believe in you tbqh

being retarded

confused by the choice? i would honestly pick whichever text you think you like more, it will make it easier to research opinions and context which may appear on the test. there is probably more stuff out there about lightness than process but definitely way more about kafka than kundera. you could try talking to your professor, too, and ask for his advise. don't necessarily follow it, but it'll help as a guide. also, if possible, ask other students who have taken the class what the test looked like (was it mostly about theory or content, etc.)

>Computational physics
Ah well, congrats on getting a decent postgrad sorted anyway. I made the mistake of taking Sociology so my options are pretty sparse. I completed a hardware/networking apprenticeship before uni, so i'm hoping I can get back into the networking field.

Studied English studies for 4 years and now I'm getting my teaching degree (FLT)

rate

where did you go

aw, thanks for the useful reply :3

Learning ultra basic math shit so I maybe get into a carreer next year
Already dropped out once because my bipolar disorder started existing and I was barely an human being
I don't want to get into anything because I see no meaning (besides not being a parasite to my parents)
Life is great!

if you'd like a math tutor i'll do it for free compadre

i have an essay due in like 12 hours about afrofuturism and Black Panther. the comic character

Who /mathfag/ here. I'm in differential equations and linear algebra, and all the "I want to be like the big bang theory" types and the autismos have been filtered out. The remaining people(math and engineering students) are super chill, even to a weirdo like me. The other day, I was invited to a study
group, and we all got columbian food after. Feels good man.

I don't even know where to start. I got As all the way through HS math until I finished Calc and when I went to take Calc II I didn't know anything, I went back to review like way back to trig and couldn't remember a fucking thing. I want to do proofs. They're so cool ;_;

I stopped due to depression and now I'm a NEET st the moment.

I had a fantastic grade average in the first semester, but this one isn't going so good (not that it's going bad, just not as good as the first one). Guess I got a little bit too cocky after how well the first semester went and I slacked off a bit.

Got a speech I'm giving about diogenes tomorrow and I have yet to have one successful practice run. Also I keep shitting.

As someone who's attended community college as well as a high tier uni: pretty much this, desu. Although you will find plenty of smart people at high tier unis, they're often horrible to be around for some other reason (pretentious, posturing, obsessed with their own intellect, social deficient, etc.).

Hell is other people. You'll never stumble or work your way into some perfect community of "intellectuals" who totally understand you. My years at the high tier uni were some of the loneliest of my life, despite the fact that I was surrounded by people who were just as, if not much more, intelligent than me.

Same. Life sucks and I wish I was another individual completely. I'm really useless.

believe it or not, it gets worse

this, except high tier also has plenty of normies, dudebros and failures

hi this guy isn't me
where do you live and why are you doing stuff for free, what is your endgame
>I got As all the way through HS math
normalfag tier

How do you deal with not being the most intelligent person in your circle?

I was easily the most intelligent person in my course last semester, but this semester a chick came from the other side of the country. And she's taking the spotlight away from me.

Normally, it wouldn't bother me, but I have to talk with these people every day and having a fucking know-it-all who, for the first time in my life, is superior to me in every way in terms of intellect is infuriating.

I feel like I should expect this, since I was depressed for a majority of my teen years and did nothing besides lay in bed all day and cutting classes, whilst she spent all that time studying and reading. But now that I feel better about my life, I was ready to realize my potential. And yet I'm faced with this obstacle already.

What's the point in doing something if you're not the best at it?

have a circle of one
only hang out with stupid people / under achieve
be eccentric enough that you're not directly comparable with anyone

>normalfag tier
Why does it matter if I'm not you mate? Why are you so crazed?

>is an undercover r9k thread episode
Yeah I know that feel but it really is a retarded feel, so stop feeling it, being intelligent or not doesn't matter, tell the girl you think she is smart and ask her for help in whatever faggy shit you do so you 1) might learn something 2) might get some pussy (of course this is impossible because you are here posting about feeling bad because other people are more intelligent than you which means you are a narcissistic insecure idiot who was never intelligent or anything related to something "good" in the first place but I trying to be nice here so get her tiger!)
tl;dr: stop being a 12 years old

I have to write a ten page paper on Putnam's brain in a vat paper. I thought it was going to be a better version of the Cartesian skepticism argument but it is actually about semantics and externalism, a subject I don't know well other than Frege's sense and reference which even then is pretty primitive comparatively speaking. I also think the philosophy department at my school is a joke and the students as well. It's forcing me to be a math major when I'm not even really that great at math even though I do enjoy it mostly speaking. But I hate committing to something that I know I'll never be great at.

It was a joke you autist
>Why are you so crazed?
I was born this way

read more than her? What kinds of courses are you talking about?

Last semester was shit. I focused on 2 difficult classes I had risk of fucking up and saved them, but lost another one, much easier. I just stopped giving a fuck about that class. So now, I can't receive the two important classes I saved because of that one I lost. Basically I just made my career half a year longer. I'm 20, about to turn 21 and in second year of architecture. Wanted to kill myself because I didn't want to graduate at 25.

Now I have another problem. I also lost math, but at least that doesn't block any other class for one semester. However, some bitch working for the university fucked up my assignment to the class, so basically I'm not receiving it. But if don't receive it, it will indeed block another class later, so I would lose anotheer 6 months, making it one whole year I'd lose. She wants me to pay a shitton money to make an extraordinary shit so I can be included in the class, which I can't pay.

My life feels empty because I am not having the most interesting classes.

proofs come a pretty long way after remembering trig, friend

the type of math you need, and subsequently the order you need to learn foundational math in, depends on what you're doing and what proficiency it requires

i've got "math tutor" on my resume, gotta get that internship credibility

Realize that there's always someone who is better than you in life, you were just unlucky enough to meet them face to face.

In other words, shit happens.

Grow & sell weed

>proofs come a pretty long way after remembering trig, friend
I meant nothing to imply it didn't, just that at some point I realized I have no real mathematical grounding and would like to change that. I just don't know where to start.

what's it like being an architecture student? I have recently been doing some research into the feasibility of going to grad school for the first architecture degree track. However it seems like being an architect involves little design and spending a lot of time doing paperwork and talking on the phone.

start with the greeks

Philo

just go to khan academy and learn whatever you've forgotten. Once you get to calculus get stewart (which is the engineer intro calc book) or spivak/apostol which are more mathy and proofy albeit much harder

/math-eng/ fag here.

I think you're right. There were some serious reddit-tier people in 1st & 2nd year.

In the higher level math classes i've taken i've still found there're definitely some autismo's and a couple of wierdish people but they're the good kind. Chill and refreshing people even if they have some eccentricities

is john mcdowell cool?

I would, if I also didn't have the need to attach myself to people.

It's childish, I certainly agree, but it's not something I can get rid of so easily. I'm naturally competitive now since I was made to feel like shit all my life. I can only get personal satisfaction if I feel superior to the people around me. And I'm an asshole, so no use in taking the moral route. My body is pathetic, so no athletics either. Intelligence will have to do.

I would read more than her, but she has a headstart and feels like she has read everything in existence already.

Most classes in first semester are about learning how to draw, using CADs, dominating perspectives and shit like that. Pretty boring.

Second semester is much more interesting. You actually start designing houses and shit like that and get to draw plans, and know a bit about materials and so.

Third semester (which I am right now) is great desu (if you're receiving all classes which I am not). Mostly I'm learning about stuff like concrete and steel, shit like that. Pretty interesting.

Later you have to learn how to quantify all the materials and shit you have to use in your projects and more boring stuff about money and talking on the phone...

If by paperwork you refer to drawing plans, it can get boring after spending whole days doing exactly the same stuff, but in the end it's rewarding.

I've done this, but I guess if you're suggesting I'm somewhat close.

figure out what you have over her (it has to be something) and feel satisfied in that, attributing the rest to life experience differences

>Student loan, it's interest free
Lol read that again faggot, student loans are only subsidized while you are still in college, Start lubing your asshole and figure out how high your rates are.

has she read the tunnel? Because she's a joke if she hasn't

Holyshit how spooked can you get, you are not competitive you are just a whiny bitch.

This is true.

This works.

meh I bet she is not that special, I think you just like her but you are such a pretentious piece of shit you have to put a veil of "intellectualism" to it

Which books would you recommend for me as an absolute beginner? I know zero about architecture

Which high tier uni

To be completely honest, I don't read books about architecture. For general knowledge, I'd suggest forums like skyscrapercity.com or skyscraperpage.com

You can see thousands of pics of ongoing projects, styles, urbanism, history, etc. That's where I get literally everything I know, and I kinda know a lot about architecture.

Alright thanks

No, you're just making really grand Canyon logical jumps here. You're just not very bright.

I want to read a book that would be entitled "A History of Defensive Architecture", if it existed. Do you know of anything like this?

Fuck moot court for taking my time up without a grade.

Generic issues finding the motivation to finish my last two semesters, exaggerated stress and anxiety aside I do worry that I might not have the gray matter necessary to get a C in calculus.

If I can get an A in calculus so can anyone else, just do the homework problems and then the rest and then do them again

Your life is now worse?

I'm an undergrad and I'm 29, you literal fucking child.

There's a woman turning 50 this year in my degree program, too. It attracts older people.
No, they're just more insufferable, which idiots interpret as 'interesting and capable'. They replace cheap alcohol and weed with more expensive alcohol and coke.

I'm in a much better mental position. Just kind of wish I could re-do it all with my current mentality.

Personally, I'm just not very challenged.

I would also be interested in this.

Drop classes before it affected GPA...went to rehab

I never undertook any formal tertiary education

Been making some really good breakthroughs in my readings of Husserl, Derrida, Zizek and Lacan over the past few days. Adderall is a helluva drug.

I'm not American my dude

This semester has been decent. I'm loving my poli-sci classes. Currently I'm writing a 20 page essay comparing Kant and Aquinas' views on friendship and politics.

Would you mind giving me some more info on your course. I'm 21, no tertiary education. Contemplating going to university, just want to gather weather a lit based education is for me

iktf

Well, I'm on Spring break as of a few hours ago when I turned in my Anthropology final. Otherwise I wrote a 10 page paper on Sophocles' Antigone and another 10 pager on Dostoevsky's The Double. Though, both works weren't required reading for my two literary theory classes, I decided to read The Double through a Lacanian/Freudien framework, and my Antigone paper through a few essays of Judith Butler's.
I'm a bit bummed that the term is over after taking such great lit classes, but next term should be even better if not the same.
Anyone excited for next term?