When did you finally realize that Statistics is better than Mathematics?

Pic related is fresh OC.

For me it had to be my senior year in undergrad during my abstract algebra course. I thought, who actually uses this crap? I looked up career information for mathematicians and statisticians and decided to go to grad school in statistics. Best decision of my life!

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/science/that-figures-professor-who-had-to-work-at-subway-dazzles-world-of-maths-after-solving-centuries-old-8625637.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_test
fooledbyrandomness.com/pvalues.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

terrible OC

>100k starting for Ph.D
>Impressive

If you look at job postings, people with a BSc in mathematics can also take jobs in statistics. If we choose not to it is for a reason. If you ask me, nothing is more enjoyable than studying random monoids no one cares about and teaching the next generation the interesting courses like analysis, differential equations, algebra, etc.

If you prefer to go to the money then good for you, but just remember that there is a good reason other people do not do the same. Anyway, to tackle your meme:

>Needs a Ph.D. to work as an adjunt
Nothing wrong with that. And the pay is good enough for a really low effort job. You seem to have the impression that academics work as much as industry people. Not true.

>Only industry job is Sandwich Artist
Wrong. As I said, statistics jobs are also open. So are CS jobs because just like statistics, CS is a subset of math. I actually worked as a programmer for 2 years before I did full-time
academia.

The rest are too stupid to even bother answering too.

seconded. OP you need to rethink your life if you thought that was funny

It's higher than in most fields, and within 5 years that PhD will be making $150k+ and MS making $135k+

>>>/mlpol/

>If you look at job postings, people with a BSc in mathematics can also take jobs in statistics.
But they cannot work the high paying jobs as statisticians that require an MS/PhD

> And the pay is good enough for a really low effort job.
Sure they don't work as much as someone in industry but the relative to the amount of work they must do is abysmal. $2-2.5k per class taught for one semester is horrible.

>Wrong.
independent.co.uk/news/science/that-figures-professor-who-had-to-work-at-subway-dazzles-world-of-maths-after-solving-centuries-old-8625637.html

>The rest are too stupid to even bother answering too.
Stay jealous, man.

This is a good post. Keep up the good work, user!

All mathfags need to go neck themselves immediately. The future belongs to applied mathematicians and statisticians.

>But they cannot work the high paying jobs as statisticians that require an MS/PhD
But someone with a BSc in mathematics can apply to get an MS/Ph.D. in statistics if they so desire.

>$2-2.5k per class taught for one semester is horrible.

Where did you get this figure? I am also not sure what you mean by it.

>independent.co.uk/news/science/that-figures-professor-who-had-to-work-at-subway-dazzles-world-of-maths-after-solving-centuries-old-8625637.html

That guy is an edge case. Because of a personal rivalry, that guy was bullied off academia in his best years and then it was impossible for him to recover. He is not your typical graduate, it is clear you haven't even read his story. You just thought the headline proved your point, which is the lowest level of discourse possible.

>Stay jealous, man.
The only thing I'm jealous of is how you can keep pretending you are right after everyone shits on you. And my post is by far the mildest and most friendly post in this thread so it really beats me how you think I came across as jealous. You do you man, but try to get rid of that persecution complex.

>Can't write code and barely knows how to use a computer
Hurtful, but fair.

Not starting but my dad is a statistician and with only a master's he's making 200k.
There's money in stats and you don't just need a PhD to do it

>be OP
>does great in high-school math and calculus, because those things are piss easy
>falls into an illusion of being a gifted student
>ultimately gets his ass kicked by the first course that requires more than just memorizing formulas
>"who needs that autistic crap, well not me"
>switches to statistics to feel better about himself
>years later is still butthurt about his only experience with actual mathematics

Lmao, CS with ai specialty can have up to 500k starting with just a masters and a little job experience, so much for
>not a wage slave

When I started learning about statistics.

Mathematics is just imaginary concepts that get arbitrarily related.

With statistics you can rigorously do what you need to do every day, navigate the world based on incomplete information.

Sorry I don't have the time to look at your meme but the fundamental idea appears sound.

what about math + stat :^)

>all these bootyblasted mathfags
Great job OP

People really lost the point of these images.

no tech firm in america is offering 500k starting even including bonus

>homophobis algebraic structures
maximum fucking kek

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but

>Data are presented as means +- SEM. Differences were considered significant at p < 0.05, as determined by using Student’s paired or unpaired t test (when measures were normally distributed) or Wilcoxon matched-pair or Mann–Whitney U test (when distributions were not normal).

this is from a paper I'm reading. how did they knew in the first place that some data were not normally distributed? how do you determine this? just by experience/estimation or is there a mathematical test needed? thx in advance

Kek. Honestly, if you're able to tackle graduate level mathematics, programming should not be overly difficult to pick up. I personally went through the introductory CS program at my uni (which is based mostly on C++, instead of say python or matlab), and I have benefited greatly from it. Some basic understanding of number theory and computational complexity actually gives me some insight into what kinds of algorithms I should be considering.

What is sad is that by almost all measures mathematicians should be better coders than CS people, but we aren't because we either don't care or don't put in the effort because we think it below us, which is stupid.

What's that you say?
nytimes.com/2017/10/22/technology/artificial-intelligence-experts-salaries.html

>expert salaries
>Not the top 2% of Ivy grads who published extraordinary research in the field and who have succeeded in industry

It almost certainly won't be you, and I don't mean to be rude.

>500k starting
fucking undergrads lmao

Redpill me on Bayesain Statistics, is it worth getting into.

companies do make stupid hires as well.

It's not like there's a universal , publicly viewable ranking of everyone with an AI degree ranked from best to worst and if you're higher on the list you're guaranteed to get a job before someone lower on the list.

much more messy and unoptimised and game-able.

Stats is boring as shit

Since when do mathematicians have an addiction with using the amount of amphetamines needed to cause meth mouth?

Its a complete meme. It just describes overarching conditions for how to update a prior, different types of distributions etc. Real progress is made by neural networks etc through trial and error. Then whenever something works the Bayesian guys offer an explanation for it how it approximates Bayesian inference yada yada.

Erdos

>What is sad is that by almost all measures mathematicians should be better coders than CS people,

In the same way that they "should be" better at chess than chess players. Becoming good at software development requires you to to gain experience at modelling real world problems and anticipating the kinds of traps that badly designed code will put you in if you don't develop the conceptual understanding needed to avoid them.

And talking about delta and epsilon is not?

But with math, I love solving problems, discovering tweaks and querks in mathematics, I don't want money or women. I just want to do something in which I love doing; Mathematics.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_test

Statiscuans have way more fields and industries to branch off in. seriously it's cool how they can find nicest in anything really

If I wasn't trying to become a Mathematician, I'd be trying to become a sci fi writer. So yeah, I just don't give a fuck.

>not double majoring in Math and Econ with a minor in Stats

Sad desu

> adjunt

is such a test mandatory or can it be omitted if you already know measures are or are not normally distributed?
Since they dont mention any normality testing in that methods section.

Pfft. I'll just proves all the millennium prize problems and use my intricate knowledge of probability theory to invest the money and become a trillionaire.

>considered significant at p < 0.05
I want non-bayesians to LEAVE

is probability and statistics anything more than applied measure theory with a weird ass notation ?

instead of making fun of it, plz answer this: would you be so kind

>You already know they're normally distributed
>Test for it
???

yeah right, if they already know it's not distributed normally
but it's a scientific paper, don't they have to prove that by a test?

fooledbyrandomness.com/pvalues.pdf

page not found which means they removed it because the sourcing was dogshit

>single author
>we present

that is a horrible paper

t.never wrote a math paper before

that is a knee jerk reaction where people are taught to “never use “I”” in academic papers, which is dumb. You have to be careful with its use, but it can be used appropriately. 2nd person perspective should be avoided though

so if “we” is targeted to the audience it’s not great, but if even then if it is more instructional than academic it could be fine. maybe “we” is an implicit other like their faculty or institution, but it doesn’t seem like it. apologies, a stupid pet peeve

I'm unironically considering going to grad school to do a master's in applied statistics, one thing your meme got wrong is that mathematicians are entirely justified in calling people like me a brainlet

Well young grasshopper, they think we are brainlets, especially when research/dissertation credits come up.

I did it. Call me what you want, I'm making 80K more than before.

Did you study full time or part time? I'm thinking I'll do it over three years

Stat is boring is a meme. Only stat 101 is boring shit, the deeper you go the more interesting it becomes, you have Time Series, Stochastic Process, logistic Regression, Experiments Design, Decision theory, Optimization, Mathematical Statistic, Econometrics and Bayesian Networks and Probability.

Statistic is pretty much the Science of Uncertainty. If The world is really not deterministic, the field is becoming more important to study.

>he thinks he's intelligent
>he wasted his life studying pure mathematics
If you have a mathematical mind, go for applied, stats, or hell even physics.

This.
Time series and bayesian networks are the shit

>tfw majoring in mathematical statistics

>Quantum Matematical Computer statistics.

statistics are meaningless

I like how now that that the high schoolers in Veeky Forums have realided that CS-graduates make a lot of money they start memeing about how great it is. But they can't admit that they like CS, so they replace "CS" with "statistician" etc. Most data analysts, scientists etc have CS-degrees. The Chad in op's picture describes CS-graduates pretty well.

>Most data analysts, scientists etc have CS-degrees
Maybe in brainlet countries

>Maybe in brainlet countries
Pretty common in most countries actually. CS masters degrees usually have programmes specialized for data analytics. The skills depicted in OP's pic are taught to CS students, not "math+stats" or whatever you kids meme about.

Sorry to break your bubble.

to be fair, CS is really broad. Most of compsci students in USA think they're studying software engineering lmao.

>Most of compsci students in USA think they're studying software engineering lmao.
This is true. People rarely enter CS with the intent of studying "CS", most of them don't even know what CS is.

In Sweden it's most common in my experience that they come from engineering physics with a master in applied math/stats

Since when do CS brainlets get taught shit like

The sample mean becomes normally distributed with a large enough sample size courtesy of the central limit theorem no matter what distribution the sample comes from, as long as each instance is the same distribution and they are independent of each other. Is that what you mean?

yes I guess that's what I mean
but could you explain to me in layman terms plz
>courtesy of the central limit theorem
and what do you mean with 'instance'?

also I apologize for being retarded

>no matter what distribution
False, look up Cauchy distribution

>majoring in wildlife science
>realize that if I do stats I might actually be employed
How hard is a double major, la's?

What are you on about? Nothing that was said is wrong. We're talking about sampling distributions not expectation of pdfs/pmfs.

Saying that the central limit holds for all distributions is false

Central limit theorem*

You are correct, and I was mistaken because of the finite variance requirement.

A single sample value (data point) is an instance of that distribution

>Reasonably show it's not cauchy
>Use clt
>???
I guess a pareto without a defined second moment would violate the finite variance assumption but thanks for reminding me

I did this, zoology and stats, maybe had to do two or three more papers at 300-level and one or two more at 200-level, frankly if you aren't double majoring you're lazy

Congrats. How was the 300k starting?

>It's higher than in most fields, and within 5 years that PhD will be making $150k+ and MS making $135k+

One of my friends has been working as a statistician professionally for about 15 years, and she makes just short of 100k, and she has both a masters in physics and statistics. That isn't really a hard and fast rule.

40k starting more like, in an entry level job while I'm doing my masters, but ive paid off my loan in full, so it's not all bad

Can someone do a virgin/chad meme for biologist vs chemist

Good for you! I did the same. The "pure" math kicked my ass for a bit, but my industry experience paid huge dividends.

When I went on the job hunt, I was beating job offers off with a stick like robots could only hope they could with roasties.

Nvm made it myself

Undergrads and high schoolers shouldn't be allowed to post

I unironically don't get why someone would study pure Mathematics, is like the most unfiltered autism on the planet.

>he said to a room of the most autistic faggots on the planet

Statistics is a branch of mathematics.
You absolute.
Fucking.
Brainlet.

No it's not faggot. It may use math, but that does not mean it is math. That's like saying engineering is a branch of math because they use math.

Only the half of your OC is true, it's that being mathematician sucks. The whole truth is that being statistician, cs, programmer or other kind of wage slave sucks equally if you're not lucky to get into 1% who get high salaries.

i learned in my final year of a math major and switched, never looked back

Another success story!

Notice how all the anons currently employed as sandwich artists at subway or chefs at wendys are not chiming in about how studying homophobic algebraic structures helped them become a productive member of society.

>inb4 wage cuck
Work three comfy days at the office and "telecommute" the other two (almost nothing happens on those two days). I am 6 years post MS, got my PSTAT, and current employer will be sending (read:paying in exchange for two more years of working) me to get my MBA at a top east coast USA school. Life is set on easy mode all because I chose statistics instead of transgendered topological knots for graduate studies. The same is similar for those in my cohort that chose industry over a PhD. The two that chose the PhD route are currently slaving away as a post doc for $40k/year and on food stamps. They're the true wage cucks.

If any anons have any questions, then don't be afraid to ask. Moreover, those anons in industry, jump in and answer their questions too.

Far too late, user :(

I still have a way of wiggling into applied math/dynamical systems if I decide to continue my math education. I'm really on the brink of calling it quits though.

Are you an undergrad?

Did someone tell him that statistics is a branch of mathematics?

Tho it is kind of true. Probably theory is a branch of math, statistics is not.

Do you think physics is a branch of maths?
Do you think engineering is a branch of maths?
Do you think CS is a branch of maths?
If so, then you might be a mathlet.

Math is used as a tool to develop the methods.

Statistics is the study of uncertainty which often employs mathematical models for the methods, but on a deeper level there is a philosophical justification underlying the choice of method.

>Probably theory is a branch of math, statistics is not.
Good on ya for knowing the difference.

I'm a grad student. I'm really not into it and lost all motivation and about to drop out unless something changes soon.

I'm afraid if I drop out I'll spiral into an even worse depression. I really don't need failure like this right now in my life.

Physics is just applied math. The other hard sciences are just applied physics. The soft sciences are just applied hard sciences. The social sciences are just applied soft sciences. So it goes.