Dickens?

Is Dickens genuinely good, or are his stories plebian tales for the masses?

How about you go and read a few of his books. Look up what works of his are considered the best and read them. Then decide what they are worth to you.

You are not going to find a suitable answer to your question until you put in the effort yourself to figure it out.

Don't be lazy. There are enough lazy people in the world.

He's great.

Not edgy, philosophical, or experimental enough to be a Veeky Forums favorite, but great.

Will there ever be a post on Veeky Forums about a book that the poster has read, instead of
>Should I read this?
>Is this good?
over and over again?

Dickens is essential.

Great Expectations
A Tale of Two Cities

Both of these are essential reading for anybody.

Other notable works

Bleak House (considered his most ambitious and "literary" work)
The Pickwick Papers
David Copperfield
Hard Times

Fun reads, very famous but not really essential reading

Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol

Kek. Already read great expectations, Oliver Twist, and David Copperfield bitches.

I ask because I'm afraid my judgement is clouded by nostalgia. All three of those books, I read them when I was a kid.

The obvious answer is to reread them. I am assuming you have gained some knowledge about things since you were a kid.

Yeah, just started great expectations yesterday. Not really far enough to critique right now.

I'd put Oliver Twist as essential as well, easily his most enjoyable work.

Why make the thread when you haven't even made up your mind? Seems like you just want to be told how to think.

Or maybe I just wanted a general discussion of Dickens's oeuvre, and the general consensus on him from Veeky Forums.

>Is Dickens genuinely good, or are his stories plebian tales for the masses?

What a goddamn dumb question.

Third option: he is good BECAUSE he tells tales for the masses.

He's not only good, he's great. Copperfield and Christmas Carol should unquestionably be added to the essential list: the latter is not only a genuine work of art, but also Dicken's most significant cultural achievement (as if there could be any doubt). Quality also-rans are Dorrit and Dombey.

christmas carol is 10/10 literally should be read every december

Dickens works are literally just patrician tier children's books. Not that that's a bad thing, necesarily, but you probably should have read him already.

>Bleak House is a children's book

> hey Internet how do you feel? What are your opinions? Let's discuss things

>REEEE YOU JUST WANT TO BE TOLD WHAT TO THINK

t. person w/ a pleb childhood

I'm not buying your shit, cunt.

Clearly you already did, idiot
t. Charles Dickens

Does anyone have any examples of good prose from Dickens? I've read David Copperfield many years ago, and A Tale of Two Cities recently, and I can't really remember any time I was dazzled by the style.

Do any amerifags that have read a tale of two cities see the parallels between france and current usa? Do you guys think there would be a proletariat revolution where the heads of the 1% will roll in the streets?

They're equally good and tales for the masses.

Every sentence he writes.

some super self-conscious 'moneyed elites' here certainly do. it's in the news. read a nyorker article not too long ago myself about just this 'issue'-- but really, americans spend way too much time with their faces in their phones, getting fat, listening to bad music, etc. to do much of anything about most everything..

>plebian tales for the masses
When enough time passes, most plebian tales become high literature.

His books are packed to the brim with filler, because he was paid per word. This makes them difficult to take seriously.

dickens? we'll have to ask page 1 again