Life in Academia

Is this really what life is like in academia? Do you have to go to such lengths to preemptively defend yourself? It sounds like a Stalinist hell, to be honest.

(The screenshot is from academia.stackexchange.com/questions/98176/how-to-avoid-being-falsely-accused-of-harassment-by-a-student.)

Other urls found in this thread:

academia.stackexchange.com/questions/8194/sex-worker-student-offering-her-legal-services
chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/67985/discussion-on-answer-by-pete-l-clark-how-to-avoid-being-accused-of-harassment-b
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just read the thread. That thread is completely about how women falsely accuse their male professors of rape in order to get back at them for getting a low grade.

What is the solution? Stay the fuck away of roasties. And especially stay the fuck away from roastie fields. Anything with more than 10% women is basically asking to get falsely accused of rape.

I had to have a discussion with a female teacher about my grades. I closed the door when I walked in and she acted defensive and told me to open the door. I then opened it all the way and she got mad at me for that too. I think women are just crazy.

Academia can be awesome or a fucking nightmare, with the latter becoming the norm.

You think you're going to have a cool atmosphere with other researchers? 95% of them only care about their own research, and only are in academia because they are too lazy to go into industry and want to attain status from being an 'intellectual'.

People are miserable due to being over-socialized and hyper-cerebral, so they politically lean toward elitism and hyper leftism, which is quite tedious to deal with when you have them on e.g. Facebook or eat lunch with them every day.

Since most of the men are gammas, massive amounts of white-knighting takes place. So if you hit on a girl, expect to make a lot of enemies suddenly. Also if someone accuses you of being sexist/a molester etc you better be well connected or you're going down quick.

Getting grants is a pain, doing a phd is a fucking huge pain (mainly interpersonal shit + the time + uncertainty), the pace is sluggish, every field has a few established big guys who take all the glory through armies of grad students, and everyone else has a fragile ego and fight for scraps of recognition.

If you get a good supervisor + good team + good uni + your research progresses well, it can be incredibly fulfilling, though.

>tfw I'm non-white so I'm immediately immune to rape accusations

Feels good man.

>uncertainty
Explain. Do you mean most people start a PhD and never finish it?

But on the other hand, you're non-white. (And you aren't immune if you are Asian.)

>But on the other hand, you're non-white
What does that mean?

>And you aren't immune if you are Asian
I'm Hispanic my dude. It is even a stereotype that my people are rapists so if I get accused of rape then you know that person is going down for being such a racist.

reminder that this only applies to politically autistic north American countries

There's many sources of uncertainty, and uncertainty is the worst form of stress because its constant. 1) Funding for various things 2) Will your project work? If you spend 2 years building something and it fails, then life will be pretty shit. This applies especially to experimental work where you need to spend a lot of time building equipment 3) Getting papers/conference papers accepted 4) Maintaining personal relations with your supervisor so things go smoothly 5) The viva/thesis submission itself. Due to naivety + bad luck, all of these were major headaches to the extent that I didn't have a holiday in several years, worked most weekends, had an asshole supervisor and was uncertain whether I would finish. In the end it went better than expected, but I had periods where I missed a lot of sleep and was sick for a month due to stress. I know a few people who quit before finishing, however usually the supervisor just won't let them submit their thesis before they have something 'solid', which can be incredibly frustrating when it takes you couple years longer and everyone you know is asking when you are finishing.

Academia is very very diverse.

If your field is too small it is full of elitist pricks and 2-3 big guys (4u) will get all the glory. The main groups will hate each other and everything is about retarded politics. If it is too big it is full of sociopaths and super-competitive assholes and the pressure will make your life hell. Also enjoy being a little cog in a huge group that will see his advisor once a year. Have a medium sized field and group can be nice but depends 100% on the personality of your group leader.

Teaching is always horrible, teaching a subject where people go for money or "to find themselves" (read: any undergraduate course ever) is a huge pain, teaching first years is basically a punishment. In todays political climate dealing with students is fucking hell. I never speak with students from the course in my office without anybody attending, even if they are cis white males they can still try to pull some bullshit. Your best chance to survive teaching is to give grad classes on theoretical topics that only people with passion in the field will attend. If that is not possible, you better give no fuck about your students or every act of kindness will lead to a lot of discussion with idiots who see that as a weakness that they can exploit.

If your subject is geared towards industry, is liberal arts or currently the current hot shit in the field, stay away from females. Just don't do it, they are career women that will eat your heart if it gives them an advantage. If your field is somewhat dry, it's up to you. Women who got that far are a bit autistic but nice to work with and know their shit as good as every male. Of course they are not white. On dating: I know several people who married within their group and they seem to be fine. The wives are still workaholics.

A PhD is a bit of a gamble, and the biggest factor is whether your advisor cares about his students or not. If he does, you'll get your phd unless you really fuck up.

america is so weird

Everyone there is an SJW hillary voter
ofc its hell on earth

You need to make clear to the women that you are fully capable of committing mass murder

>over-socialized
Hi Ted

>If you spend 2 years building something and it fails, then life will be pretty shit.
Get on my level, just got my setup I built for 4years to work.
>Due to naivety + bad luck, all of these were major headaches to the extent that I didn't have a holiday in several years, worked most weekends, had an asshole supervisor and was uncertain whether I would finish.
You're doing it wrong. I take at least 6weeks vacation a year (down from 8+ in the first years when I was still teaching) and only work weekends when I have something time-critical to be finished. Gotta set your priorities straight with your advisor from the get go so he won't work you like a slave, at least that worked for me.

>
Teaching is always horrible, teaching a subject where people go for money or "to find themselves" (read: any undergraduate course ever) is a huge pain, teaching first years is basically a punishment. In todays political climate dealing with students is fucking hell. I never speak with students from the course in my office without anybody attending, even if they are cis white males they can still try to pull some bullshit. Your best chance to survive teaching is to give grad classes on theoretical topics that only people with passion in the field will attend. If that is not possible, you better give no fuck about your students or every act of kindness will lead to a lot of discussion with idiots who see that as a weakness that they can exploit.
Can't confirm, but my uni is also not a liberal hellhole and there's alot of hispanics here.

>current year
>triggered by a buzzword

I'll go lrn2greentext

lrn3kys jk

>implying that being black or hispanic is an advantage against a rape accusation
lol

So what is the /Chad/ field in Academia ? Where the polit. propaganda bullshit does not have much power, and the competition is not fierce ?
Different areas of more abstract mathematics or what ?
Are the life sciences so doomed and overworked, as it might seem to an external viewer ?

I guess, as sad as it sounds, engineering.
Barely any wymyns and yet enough funding for everyone.

Once I was 2 years in, my supervisor started making veiled threats that I would be kicked out unless I achieved xyz, and he started becoming more and more unhinged and rude per email. Problem is that he was also in charge of most things and the people responsible for handling disputes were his friends. So there was a very real risk of getting kicked out unless I went along with the crazy schedule. Good to hear that you got your setup to work, I can imagine the stress before that. I enjoyed teaching at my uni, cause for some reason the undergrads are very friendly and respectful + not at all political.

>I enjoyed teaching at my uni, cause for some reason the undergrads are very friendly and respectful + not at all political.
Ye, I try to be as laissez-faire as possible at the start of the semester and then get more and more strict every time they fuck something up at least twice. Turns out, if you treat your sutdents like grown-ups most of them will behave that way. Of course there's always one or two odd ones that try to push the limit, but that's never been a problem for me.

>So there was a very real risk of getting kicked out
Idk how it generally is in the US, but at my uni, even when my advisor runs out of money/doesn't want to pay my assistantship anymore, i could just go back to being a teaching assistant and finish.
Of course, if you want to switch, it's harder. I know a guy in my department who just consistently fucked up equipment until he was kicked out from the group so he wouldn't be the one leaving, then he was free to find a new advisor, so I guess that works.

Oh look, it's the /pol/ slide who doesn't know he's being manipulated by Russia.

Well, I am sure that if I actually raped someone and went to court then I'd be fucked because white judges are racist as fuck. But white women who do false accusations are too afraid of going to the police. All white women throw accusations either on twitter or to some newspaper and then the headline will be:

RACIST WHITE WOMAN ACCUSES POOR MINORITY OF RAPE.

more like "another minority rapes a white woman" rudumb

>implying
The journalist would be blacklisted from ever having a job again in the US
They'd get arrested if they were in Canada or Europe, nonwhites are a protected class up here, even more so than women

But that is racist though. If a woman falsely accuses me of rape to campus authorities then when I cry racism the campus authorities will be more willing to actually investigate the case in fear of being called racist.

Ninety per cent of this type of thing can be solved by segregating the sexes in education. Women of all ages love to start shit out of boredom and attention-seeking, which ultimately leads to everyone being miserable.

>Ninety per cent of this type of thing can be solved by segregating the sexes in education
>segregating the sexes

Retard, what are you going to do about trans people then? You can't even settle the bathroom issue with transgenders and now you are going to make education an issue? Kek. I'd like to see you handle that shit.

I only observed that the solution would be effective if implemented, not that it is feasible to implement in today's society. Also 7/10 troll for bringing up the trans thing with such earnesty, like people actually care about it or like it's a meaningful wedge issue when it concerns a statistically insignificant population of the mentally ill.

>like people actually care about it
So you are happy just going through life actively not caring about other human beings? We should care about everyone.

>/chad/
>the competition is not fierce
Pick one.

Segregate into three groups:
>men
>women
>miscellaneous
Calling every variety of trans* a third sex is actually a good compromise between not recognizing them at all and asserting they're "just women"/"just men".

ty for the redpill

academia.stackexchange.com/questions/8194/sex-worker-student-offering-her-legal-services
lol?

>Anything with more than 10% women is basically asking to get falsely accused of rape.
So, math?

>But that is racist though
lol, you're delusional. Haven't you heard? Before Betsy DEvos rescinded the 2011 dear colleague letter, it was revealed by some investigatory journalism that title IX sexual harassment investigations disproportionately targeted and punished minority males on college campuses. The office for civil rights in the ED deliberately avoided keeping racial statistics because they feared it was true. Looking at individual universities that DID keep stats, it was clear that the 2011 letter resulted in much more scrutiny and punishment for black and latino men.

My university experience has been nothing but pleasurable. My lab tutor this semester offered her support for a research project I'm starting next year, as well as offering to put me in touch with a cardiologist and the head of research for my faculty for advice. My practical classes are 90% dropkicks, but the few good ones make it worth it, and being top 5% in the class gets you noticed and actively supported by the staff.

I might suggest it really heavily depends on the place you're studying.

It's more important we care about not mentally deficient individuals

1/4th of women become victims of sexual assault in college.

These numbers don't even take into account what came before, or after.

If that doesn't scare you about the ugly state of our society then I'm not sure what could.

That's some good bait. Fuck you. 8/10.

>1/4th of women become victims of sexual assault in college.
This doesn't mean anything because everything is "sexual assault" nowadays. You slept with a girl that gave consent at the time but who regretted it a week later? Whoops, looks like you're a rapist!

so what if you ARE a girl?
is it easy mode like every other area of society?

Jesus christ. I hated white people but now my blood is burning. Thanks man. I'm finna shoot a white guy in my next protest. I swear to fucking god. I'm fucking killing some white monkey.

I'm not triggered

ye

Reading the SE thread made me realize how terrible SE is as a place to discuss things even just remotely connected with political correctness.

The accepted answer is quite alright, but below that you see the feminist mindeset seeping in. They don't really focus on answering the question and rather spread their agenda. Pete L. Clark is especially guilty of this.

Well, the 10% women rule also applies to online communities. Any place with too many roasties is bound to be shit.

Yep. Read the discussion at chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/67985/discussion-on-answer-by-pete-l-clark-how-to-avoid-being-accused-of-harassment-b if you have any doubts about Pete L. Clark's mindset.