>Age
>Location
>Book you're reading and your opinion of it so far.

VA
Brehn's "Ohrbonko" or something.
Interesting read, though you can tell the author's a woman

>19
>USA
>Portrait by Joyce

I liked the first chapter but the second is kinda meh. The stream of consciousness thing he's going for is rough. I liked it better in To The Lighthouse.

>21.
>Australia.
>Life and Fate.

God tier.

It's criminally underrated. It's like War and Peace but set in WWII and a lot sadder.

GA
Nietzsche Assorted Opinions and Maxims

worst Nietzsche I've ever read. It's obviously superfluous shit that didn't make the cut for HATH. Boring as shit, random, no thematic unity.

>22
>AZ
>Wittgensteinian Fideism?

Just started it but I like how you see the two sides of the debate addressing each other. Its interesting desu

República Reggaetonera de Flaitestán (Chile)
The Negation of Death, Love every single piece of it.

Same book but 25.

I'm a bit confused where I am (pg 76) because S.D. just left a theatre, saw friends smoking a ciggie, then he's getting bullied about liking Byron so I think it's a flashback but I'm not sure.

BC
>pic related

It's pretty good. Submarine life sounds comfy.

>portrait of the artist as a young man
>joyce
>it's very good

Venezuela
A good man is hard to find

This is the third book of Flannery that I read. I have been questioning a lot my fedora beliefs, and the meaning of grace as well as free will. I think she would have fit on Veeky Forums with her distaste for evangelicals.

>22
>Burgerland
>Paradise Lost and Frankenstein

I'm re-reading Frankenstein for the first time in a few years. Never read Paradise Lost before, it's fucking hype

>18
>USA
>Twelfth Night

I like it so far, but I just started it.

>25
>Chile
>Iliad and The Gunslinger
I just started both after finishing Inherent Vice so I can't say much about them yet.

>26
>SoCal
>The Door by Szabo.
It's very well written, philosophical themes and characterization are perfect, genuinely thought provoking, the pacing is well done, but I cannot for the life of me get immersed into the book. I think it's the narrative, it's written in first-person and as a memoir and that holds me at arm's length, I just can't get into it and it's taking me an embarrassingly long time to finish.
good book, it never feels like a chore, but it never feels enrapturing or even compelling towards the end.
hopefully Iza's Ballad is better, it's third person present time.

>18
>USA
>Catch-22
Started off goofy but has shifted to angry and dark. Overall, I'm enjoying it.

Yeah, that's his experimentation with stream of consciousness. "Admit" reminded him of the Byron event and he just recalled the incident. Caught me off gaurd at first too.

I heard the music industry is pushing hard for reaggeaton in south america to the point of eliminating anything else, is it true?

USA - OH
Northern Lights

> 19
> cali
> elementary differential equations and boundary value problems
pic related

>24
>Sweden
>The Sound of Waves

So far its like the beginning of the "Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea" but with a lot more gay stuff about fishing.

> 21
> USA, NJ
> The Odyssey

Absolutely magnificent

>21
>Australia
>The Rainbow Quest of Thomas Pynchon ... Opinion: concise and illuminating. The same feeling you get when faced with a out-of-box mess of jigsaw and you're flipping all the pieces face-up for the first time. Fragments of images start to resolve themselves into some kind of premonition of the complete image.

How do you like it so far?

>21
>Texas
>Roadside Picnic

> 28
> Germany
> Die Welt von Gestern, Stefan Zweig

It's very comfy at times, but sometimes makes me hate his jewish and cultural pretentiousness. Since it is written about a gone-by culture you have to accept it but it's quite interesting anyways, gives you some insights into famous people like Rilke and Haushofer.

new zealand
birdsong by sebastian faulks

so far there's been some cheesy parts, some boring parts, and some parts i've really liked.
it's quite effeminate.

>28
>Canada
>Middlesex

It's really good.

What part are you at?

>24
>Italy
>Aeneid
I have to translate book 6 for my latin exam, it's pretty cool too understand it but virgil is a pain in the ass to translate

I'm also reading The Human Instruments by Vittorio Sereni

>19
>Idaho, USA
>The Silmarillion
I'm loving it so far.

Europe
America

Nice job man! Are you just now learning countries and continents?

>33
>england
>life and fate
>bretty gud

>America digs itself deeper

Yeah i don't get it either

Croatia

Bought some random books online, they arrived yesterday. I already read through Jonathan Livingston Seagull without knowing it was supposedly a huge hit back in the day and even my gf has read it multiple times. I didn't like it very much, it's actually kinda incoherent and there is so much weird psychedelic shit going on, seagulls teleporting and what not.
I started reading Juegos de manos by Juan Goytisolo but I'm only 20 pages in. It's already much more interesting than the Seagull book, though. It reads kinda like a Japanese New Wave movie about some delinquents.

>21
>Germany
>Code: The hidden language

The book does a very good job explaining the fundamentals of how a Computer works and how they came to be. Only negative point is that at times it is too slow and makes sure that every idiot reading it can understand it.

>describes one of the most important and beautiful pieces of literature ever written as "fucking hype"

That's the joke...

hi cara

>23
>Czech Rep

>Decameron.
Eh, it's good at times and boring at others, and it's fucking enormous on top of that. Boccaccio had some great zingers though.

> 19
> Portugal
> As intermitências da morte - José Saramago

Portuguese literature Nobel prize winner. I don't know the title on the English translated version so sorry about that. I've only read the first chapter so far but it's a story about the consequences of imortality for what I've read. He also criticizes the church and government.

>36
>Gypsylandia, just north of the Danube
>Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated by one J. Melville or something like that.

Amazing, lovely, uber-comfy reading, plus the poetry flows like warm honey, and that's in translation! The original must be truly god-like. I can't imagine how that ghastly emperor Gus could bring himself to banish this guy for life, and in my wonderful nook of the world, of all places--it couldn't have been much better then, even without the gypsies. Why, if I were caesar, I would have had this guy personally recite to me a few hundred lines out of his work every night before sleep, while my favourite Scythian slave girls fed me figs and Chian wine and my Libyan catamite lovingly fondled my prostate (or whatever it was that emperors in those days called "a quiet evening at home"). Then I'd have allowed our mr. Nosey commit whatever amorous "indiscretion" his heart desired. Hell, I'd let him fuck the empress if it tickled his creative gonads. That's right, a cucked caesar for an Olympian Ovid--fucking worth it.

Do you have a favourite book? Book 6 is amazing, but 4 and 12 are great as well.

A Hero of Our Time
Northern New England

>22
>iceland
>Independent People
just started but like it so far
the prose is great and the characters already appealing

>nobody listened to me
>with hiro allowing google ads in, the site is more easily mapped
>fbi has to jump through less hoops to match your ip to your posts (without hiro giving them the weekly IP dump)
>fbi ip-age-location exercise was so successful last week they are trying again

28. Archetypes and the unconcious mind. Bretty gud. I get a twisting sensation in my stomach during some of the good parts.

It's ok, I'm posting from a Russian prison anyway.

>21
>Sudan
>The Everlasting Man
Pretty intersting desu.

I have to say book six itself, because i love katabasis in the stories i read. I love the beautiful moment in which Aeneas sees Dido again, but she runs away without a word. The feels man

>20
>Lithuania
>Solaris
just started, whole chapter describing ocean was snoozefest

>>Age
>>Location
Croatia
>>Book you're reading and your opinion of it so far.
The Two Towers, Boromir's chapter was quite touchy.

is this your first reading of it?

Sveikas

Goddamn New Jersey goddamn it
Dead Souls
A little repetitive but funny

Laba

>22
>EIRE
>Les Miserables

I'm only 120 pages into I need more time

>21
>Aus
>Moby Dick

~550 pages in. It's really good. Can be a bit frustrating/boring at times with all the cetology and whaling info. The prose really makes it worthwhile though; would've dropped it otherwise i think

AUS
Less than zero
Absolute garbage what a hack

>22
>Germany
>Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

bretty gud

Ah fuck that's the worst. Into Sychaeus' arms as well, which both intensifies the sting and increases your sympathy for Dido. Virgil was such a master of his craft :(

US East
Sapiens by Yuval Harrari

This book fucking rules. It's so sick.

hi cara

Australia
Battleaxe by Sara Douglass. It's pretty shit but this qt3.14 loaned it to me, and I want to get in her pants even though she is a lesbian and is in a relationship with my other friend.

Besides reading parts of it in high school, yes.
I read the Illiad for the first time as well a few months ago.

The previously mentioned user is attempting to "prove" the superiority of literary taste of Europe using a sample size of 2. What user failed to consider is that he may have autism.

Is that the grill from Doctor Who?

Central California
Farewell to Arms - Boring and lifeless. Hemingway fails after 30 pages. His short work is much better.

Portsmouth
Heart of Darkness: wasn't pulled in at the start because of the long-windedness and unnecessary word use, but it's starting to grow on me. There's something fascinating about how Marlow's story draws you in.

Celine
Adventure to the end of the night
Surgut, Russia.
Just trying to study eng

I disliked it desu. He espouses a lot of personal opinions that seem to me
1. badly founded anthropologically (ie he acts as if his theory behind the AR is widely accepted - it's not, population and climate drive were far more important imo)
2. needlessly sensational. The thing about wheat domesticating humans...what? And his talk about capitalism as if we didn't already know all that.
3. Childish sometimes. Whining about how now we have to get jobs. Come on.

There's some cool info in there but to me it read as immature and superficial.

London
Infinite Jest (still)
Almost a month and a half since I started. Only 100 pages to go. I really like it, the themes feel very relevant to me and extremely current. There are some segments/characters that feel like they drag, especially the randy lenz segment where it was about 30 pages of him walking around trying to fuck Green and kill a dog.

What's the precise title of the book? Always wanted to get into that aspect of Jung but unsure where to find it.

>25
>Canada
>Don Quixote

its everything it's cracked up to be

>22
>Ireland
>Coriolanus

It's entertaining, but definitely not the best of the Sheikh's plays

How hard of a read is it? I've been learning German more or less for a year now but I haven't read much past children's books and short stories. Would it be too difficult to try or is the prose as straightforward as some critics are making it seem?

>Age
>Location
Liverpool, UK
>Book you're reading and your opinion of it so far.
Campbell Biology 9th ed. It's pretty well explained and easy to digest considering, and in parts were it's not the pictures are at least nice to look at. Would recommend for anyone interested in cellular biology/microbiology/biochemistry.

What translation?

4 lustra
cozy bed
sanctuary
by sadder do you mean "made me tear up more" or "more upsetting"?
some books just read like they aren't meant for us. i have always had this problem with italian writers
are you reading it because of tarkovsky or because of the video game?
i read middlesex when i was ~12 or 13 and it traumatized me, i should revisit it
>24yo reading for a university class
>19yo reading for pleasure
hum
sounds very appealing to me, where did you buy your copy?
that book is FOR idiots
have you read juvenal? this reads like one of his satires

Reading it because I heard about it from the Stalker movie and because I like scifi

NY
The Iliad
Regret reading Paradise Lost first. It was so much better, though this is still good too.

The Illiad is great. I reccomend jumping right into the Odyssey when you're done if you havn't read it already. I regret not doing so.
I still have Paradise Lost on my To-Read list.

South England
Slaughterhouse V
Eh I'm not a fan, why is it a classic?

Oregon
pic related, pretty great. Not on the same level as the two great Homeric epics but still worth reading.

New England
Ender in Exile
It's OK, nothing too riveting...
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams
I like it, quite some interesting ideas in it

>19
>Romania
>Foundation and the Empire

I kinda dislike the amount of time skips and new plots popping up all the time.

I have spent hundreds of hours with IJ and rarely bring jt up because it is so polarizing. I like how it is more current now than ever, like Wallace aimed slightly ahead of his present. Crazy how many people try to read the novel even though they hate it.

21 / Folsom CA / Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. First Palahniuk novel I have read since Fight Club. Thought I would never read another because I had the sense Fight Club would be BY FAR his best work. Didn't believe he could come close. He is coming close.

Oxford

Don Quixote. I got bullied by Veeky Forums so now I'm reading one book at a time and I got back to my favourite so far. DQ is obviously an egoist.

lol

>23
>Canada
>Jane Eyre

Finally decided to see what all the hype was about. Three quarters of the way through and it's been somewhat enjoyable I suppose. Brontë's rich vocabulary and fluent prose are what have kept me going honestly.

>20
>USA
>just finished Lincoln in the Bardo

I remembered liking his short stories, but I felt they were way more emotionally detached (with one exception I can't remember the name of) in general than this was. I definitely liked this a lot, though.

I think I'm about to start rereading Bleeding Edge, but I haven't decided yet.

>20
>Seattle
>The Winds Twelve Quarters by Ursula K. Le Guin

Kinda meh on it so far. Just finished Lollita before this so maybe that's part of why. I've read sci-fi before and enjoy it a fair bit but so far this is nothing too special. Not quite sure what the hype is about. Holding out hope for "The Ones Who Leave Omelas"

Spain
Pantaleón y las visitadoras

I really enjoy reading Vargas-Llosa

>24
>Alaska
>Bulfinch's Mythology

Before I even attempt Milton.

>18
>USA
>Crime & Punishment and The Crying of Lot 49

C&P is very interesting so far, and I expected the murder to be the climax of the novel (i.e. somewhere in the middle or near the end) but since it's at the start it makes me wondering what will happen in the rest of the book.
TCOL49 is pretty engaging and casual, it's my first Pynchon. Had a couple giggles from it so far.

MI
The Castle by Franz Kafka

I am enjoying it so far. I've already read his other works so this is pretty comfy.