I'm losing my sanity over this one

For the love of Raven someone solve this one pls

Seems pretty straight forward, you can assume that bubbles on the outside are positive, and the ones inside are negative,

You add the neighboring ones to get the 3rd, it works for both columns and rows. Answer is 5.

How does one go on to describe a braindead easy question only to give the wrong answer. Its 2

Not op, but If.this is all there is to IQ tests then holy is psychology a joke. You mean to tell me that our objective measure of intelligence is basically arithmetic with pictographs?

wait what the fuck do you mean
5+(-3)=+2
??????
or you fuckinG kEKing me

I am taking the bait because I don't wan't a fellow brainlet(OP) to get more confused over this.

3rd row:

5 + (- 3) = 2 (bubbles outside)

3rd collumn:

(-1) + 3 = 2 ( bubbles outside)

hence the answer is the 5th option.

it's 5

I guess its testing pattern recognition.

I don't understand this boards obsession with IQ tests but if someone really can't find a internally consistent rule set for this example, they might actually be clinically retarded, sorry OP.

t. brainlet.

iq was meant to test for retardation. here's what we know
OP couldn't solve it
most people that replied could
the question is easy and you'd have to be near retarded if you cant solve it
here's what the test tells us given OP couldn't solve the question
OP is retarded
I think the test's result is pretty reasonable given what we know.

this is pretty obvious if you're familiar with the kinds of things that show up in these tests. Having the first tow rows 'sum up' to get the third crops up often.

All IQ tests actually test is the ability to take IQ tests.

It's 5. Whether you look at the rows from left to right or the columns up to down, it always follows the same pattern. Consider the protrusions outside the circle + and the ones inside it -. It's simple addition.

First row from left to right is +3, -4 = +1 and indeed, the rightmost figure on the top row is +1. First column up to down is +3, +2 = +5.

In a similar pattern, the last row adds up to +5, -3 = +2, and the last column -1, +3 = +2. Answer number 5 is the only one that qualifies.

Meant -1 on the first row, in the middle paragraph of my previous post. Anyway, I'm sure you get the point.

Is the trick to IQ tests always thinking simple? I always assume there's more to the question until I read how simple the answer is.

OP here. It was part of a series of exams I was asked to do, for a job application, consisting of 60 similar questions (Raven's progressive matrices - general scale), to be done in 30min. This was the last one and the only to apply such logic.
Also done Zulliger and others.
Thanks for the serious replies.

IQ tests aren't about 'tricking' you, they're about having you find the answer that makes the data fit for the simplest reasons

>This was the last one
strange. usually on these ravens tests the last ones are always hard to figure out. you must have gotten the test for blacks or something

>This was the last one and the only to apply such logic.

I understand, since the tests typically start off with examples where the solution 'balances' the set of images as a whole through some kind of symmetry, where as throwing in the 'math' ones requires you to throw that conditioning away as assign differing importance to one column over the others.

He means 5 as in response number 5 you fucking brainlet.

The trick to IQ tests is spotting the pattern.

You're a brainlet if you can't see the pattern.

Look at the data
>Circles
>Nodules on them
>Nodules can be inside or outside but not both

Look at the presentation
>9x9 grid
>Rows left to right
>Columns top to bottom

Try to convert each grid entry into numbers, either multiple or just one. In this case, all you need is one.
>Number of nodules
>Number inside is negative
>Number outside is positive

So make a grid

{3, -4, -1}
{2, 1, 3}
{5, -3, X}

What is X? Find a pattern in the existing columns and rows and extrapolate it

Well What is the pattern in the existing columns and rows?

{A, B, A+B}
{C, D, C+D}
{A+C, B+D, X}

What is X? It should be obvious now

But then where do all the other little boats sail to?

And the ability to take IQ tests is highly correlated with the ability to understand abstractions.

I mean if you don't have any prior knowledge of the questions asked.

Durr durr loops outside cancel loops inside