I know this is probably not the right place to post this...

I know this is probably not the right place to post this, but I have no idea where else I could find a group of college students.

Can a professor from community college penalize you for not having Facebook?
I'm having 5 points deducted from my overall grade for not being in my professor's Facebook group.
Is this allowed?
Thanks in advanced, and again, sorry if this isn't the right place for this question.

>Is this allowed?

Very hard to say as you didn't state your country.

Texas, United States

Sorry about that, typed this up in a hurry.

no

Thank you very much, have a good one~

Probably allowed. The professor provides a free means of accessing class materials and you refuse. Back in my day the profs would post materials to places like Blackboard or something. You needed a Blackboard account to access class materials.

Or what if the prof emails materials and you don't have an email?

No! What the fuck is that shit! Say that it is against your personal beliefs to use facebook. Being forced to join a facebook group which may expose some personal information is fucked up.

Facebook is free. Just make a fake account.

This.

ask him to post his shit on reddit

The school still creates these for you. The only time the school emails a personal account is during admissions.

I'm back from school this morning and one teacher is under the impression that it is allowed, however I haven't spoken to the teacher in question or the dean of the department. My defense is that I not only disagree with Facebook's TOS, but am personally against data mining techniques and any social media in general. I do have an account on the school's main site and am able to access class materials on there. The facebook page is to gain the professor more likes and members on her class page in order to have a larger voice. She is very active on Twitter when it comes to politics and often links Facebook and Twitter materials together.
Thank you all for responding, this situation infuriates me to no end.

Yesterday in class I learned that when Republicans hold the House and Senate, it's due to Gerrymandering, but when the Democrats hold them, it's due to equal representation which is horse shit, both parties engage in Gerrymandering.

Smells like clown college, what kind of school requires a facebook account to access class materials, do you not have a class website through your school?

what the actual fuck? this is retarded. at any rate i would have made a fake account and went with it, since arguing would be a waste of time. still, incredibly stupid. professors just send mass e-mails in any course i've taken.
>refuse class materials
>get docked marks in the class by virtue of that alone
it might be "allowed" but it's asinine

It is against my personal belief to use email, pen and paper, basically anything that stores my thoughts, other than vocal communication.

First of all, get an account and comply. Secondly, if you don't, then express your concerns to the professor and ask for an accommodation due to being retarded. If he refuses, get a copy of the syllabus listing the grade deduction and express your concerns to the department head.

The ACLU might be inclined to help you out with this situation. It's a civil liberties issue.

Of course this is not allowed. Your professor has no right to force you to use facebook or punish you for not using it. Facebook has it's own terms of service which you have a right not to agree with. If you fail your class because of that -5, you can easily sue his ass.

My guess is that it's illegal and would be ruled so by a judge. To get a Facebook account, you have to agree to a binding contract. The terms of the contract aren't acceptable to you. In effect, your teacher is deducting points because you refuse to sign a binding legal contract with a 3rd party.

Make an account with a throwaway email. Never log in, don't post a picture if you don't want to.

I hate the people on this board and don't usually help people, but there you go.

this is a dumb argument. not wanting to use a shitty ad-ridden website is hardly the same as not wanting to write on a piece of paper.