Anyone else think pre calc was significantly harder than calc 1,2,3?

Anyone else think pre calc was significantly harder than calc 1,2,3?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.columbia.edu/department/syllabi/CalcIVsyllabus.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I didn't

For me it was but that was because i tooked it during a summer session that was only 1 month and a half and the professor was an adjunct who gave a rats ass. I had to self study in a matter of days so thats maybe why it seemed harder. Calc 1 is easy by conparison.

Calc 1 < Pre-calc < Calc 2 < Calc 3

I remember having to memorize more for pre-calc and having way less context for why I was doing all that memorizing, and I can see how those two factors could make it seem a lot more difficult. It's always easier when you actually see what the work you're doing is for as opposed to just pushing a giant boulder up a hill because your teacher said so.

I didn't have pre-calculus. I think that's something entirely american. Nevertheless, I suppose you felt so because it was your first time with calculus and you had to build the intuition, whereas with 1, 2 and 3 you just had to exercize it.

>pre calc you are required to do meaningless shit like rationalize the denominator and remember stupid formulas to find the extrema
>calc i don’t need to do squat shit about about radicals in the denominator and i just derive a function and set it to zero to find extrema
Learning calc actually possed me off at all the meaningless shit they made you do.

Algebra 2 was piss easy for me

Pre-calc wasn't hard

Calc 1 broke my fucking balls and whipped me into shape.

Calc 2 was hard but doable. I still need to review trig sub identity / trig sub and partial fraction integration. Also everything with series is just a blur to me. I got a B+ and I really dont know how

Calc 3 has been manageable so far

Im kinda dreading calc 4 desu

what is calc 4?

Complex analysis maybe?

Entirely school-dependent. I've seen curricula where calc 4 is ODEs, but as you can see, math.columbia.edu/department/syllabi/CalcIVsyllabus.html is multivariable calculus and some introductory complex analysis. That being said, my own uni is as follows:
>calc I/II - diff/integ calc.
>calc III - multivariable calc.
After these, there is no other low level class with calculus in the name. ODEs and complex analysis are separate. I don't think most schools refer to any class as calculus 4.

Calc I now, skipped Precalc. What exactly is an asymptote when I'm graphing a function based on its derivative and second derivative (curvature)? Specifically, how do I know which is horizontal and which is vertical?

if you're asking that maybe you shouldn't have skipped pre-calc

Didn't have a choice, I'm 25 and trying to graduate ASAP. Plus that's retarded because I did pre-calc through Khan academy and it had nothing to do with my question. How the fuck would you be taking the second derivative of a function in precalc?

slope approaches infinity for vertical asymptotes and zero for horizontal asymptotes

My question is how to find the asymptotes themselves? Undefined values are vertical and values of 0 are horizontal. Wait, yes. That's it. Nvm

It was the same for me OP, precal was hard, calc 1 and 2 were so easy that it killed me, and then it escalated again from there

[math]\lim_{x\to\infty} f(x) = a \Rightarrow y = a [/math] is a horizontal asymptote.
similarly,
[math]\lim_{x\to a} f(x) = \pm\infty \Rightarrow x = a [/math] is a vertical asymptote.

Nooooooo, differential equations are harder than that shit, also Gallois theorems are one of the most complex things

The guy you responded to
Calc 3 is multivariable differential calc
Calc 4 is multivariable integral calc

Essentially

The context doesn't make sense for most of it. Having the calc along with it lets you see the applications. In pre calc everything (or at least when I was in HS) was just presented as is. No proofs nothing. It was a little frustrating, but as you move on with math it starts to fall into place.

I understand where you are coming from OP.

>calc I - single-variable differential calc
>calc II - single and double integral calc
>calc III - intro to multivariable calc, series, triple and higher integral calc + cylindrical and spherical coordinates
>calc IV - continued multivariable calc, implicit partial differentiation, directional derivatives, line integrals, vector fields, gradient vectors, del operator, curl, divergence theorem, green's theorem, stoke's theorem, second order differential equations