Weed Out Classes

Do they have weed out classes in the Humanities and Liberal Arts? I was just thinking about it and it seems like any retard can go all the way in those majors.

Intro to linguistics is apparently a weed out class.

Upper division literature classes have you memorizing entire passages and make you write a paper a week, literature degrees aren't just lit 101 classes ten times in a row.

>memorizing entire passages
Your brain HDD can only hold so much. Forcing people to memorize shit novels should be considered at the very least child abuse.

yeah, the weedout comes when they start applying for jobs

Kek

>Upper division literature classes have you memorizing entire passages
Why though?

So the passages influence your writting.

That's retarded

No, and this is because the concept of weed out classes is not well understood. Classes like Calc 2 (which are regularly referred to as weed out here) are not there just because the professors spite you and want to see how many students they can chop off. Calc 2 is there because it is a fundamental course for everything. Calc 2 is probably the most important class you can take. Integrals are simply the foundation for everything else. So why is it called "weed out"? Because it is hard. Weed out classes are simply important classes that brainlets find hard. And here is the problem. Humanities are brainlet degrees. They are degrees meant to let brainlets get a degree without struggling. Therefore, by definition, there are no weed out classes in the humanities. If there were weed out classes then it would not be humanities.

The weed-out class for English majors is elementary algebra I.

>tfw unironically got weeded out by calc 2.

It's not that hard if you just try, but I'm not one to talk

The notion of weedout classes is retarded. Universities are supposed to teach, not purposefully offer lower quality instruction to make students fail.

>Integrals are simply the foundation for everything else.

Those are fighting words.

t. algebraist

Before I switched my major, I studied international affairs.

If there were ever any classes to call weed out classes, it would probably be the mandatory econ classes (which were wither introductory or watered down versions of the actual econ courses) or the research classes.

I don't know of that many people who ever failed these though

I skipped calc 2 and went straight in linear and real analysis

Instruction was never lower quality in weed out classes in my experience. They're weedout because there are difficult exams or the class is curved to a low grade.

>Memorizing dozens of integration rules so that you can integrate lengthy formulas by hand is important.

Imagine being this much of a brainlet. Computers have been around for decades now. Move into the 21st century.

Youre just not autistic enough for this. The key is to just attain that autistic level of obsession. Only then will you truly be unstoppable.

It wasn't hard for me but Calc 2 is commonly mentioned as a weed out class and I can recognize the class is pretty dense so it makes sense.

Integrals sit at the core of differential equations, probability, physics, analytic number theory, etc.

There will be so many things you won't be able to prove simply because you skipped calculus. You should feel bad.

No... the theory of integration is important. Very important. A quick example of why is this. A core part in the study of the Riemann Zeta function involves proving that the series [math] \phi(s) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^s} [/math] converges for all s with real part larger than 0.

You do this by grouping two consecutive terms [math] \frac{1}{(2k-1)^s} - \frac{1}{(2k)^s} [/math] and then realizing that

[eqn] \frac{1}{(2k-1)^s} - \frac{1}{(2k)^s} = s \int_{2k-1}^{2k} \frac{1}{x^{s+1}} [/eqn]

After that the proof of this theorem, which for first time students of complex analysis is a whole new and weird kind of object, becomes a simple application of integral properties, mainly the inequalities that apply for integrals because what you want to do after this point is bound these integrals so that you prove the series itself is bounded and can conclude.

And in what course do you learn and apply integral properties? That's right, Calc 2. And even though the application I just showed is not shown in calc courses, if you know just calc 2 you can go online and read a proof of this theorem and completely understand it. And if you are clever then you could even prove it yourself, without knowing anything about complex analysis.

Integrals are so important you have no idea. Integrals are maybe the most important mathematical object we study. It has applications all over the place.

>the theory of integration is important

I agree. We should learn the theory. I use integration almost every day. Super important.

Of course, I don't do it with pen and paper, because that would just be a huge waste of my time. I use the theory of integration every day, I don't use the product rule. Understanding what's happening when you take an integral is important. Memorizing a dozen rules so that you can do an integral by hand is not.

Based on my criminal justice BA earning ex, I would say no.

Non-STEM majors are really the equivalent to remember TED-talk tier information and being able to write about it.

The reason somehow they've been able to earn "degrees" with the middle school level academics they engage in is because anyone with a above average IQ is going into an engineering/math etc degree anyway. which means the mean of liberal arts majors is below the average and the curriculum and requirements adapt.

Its an absolute tragedy these people are allowed to take out loans and are subsidized with tax dollars. If you gave a liberal arts/humanities a calc 2 course, and it was the ONLY class they had to take for the semester, most would drop out, likely none would pass (assuming that you could impart all the prequel knowledge magically of course)

The difference between us and them is simply not one that either of us could really comprehend. We don't go to the same university. We are learning the deep technical know-how that makes the world work, they are literally just taking a sequel to high school

This isn't a fedora tip or a dig at them, its simply stating that understanding just how easy it is for them vs us is impossible, even if you thought your courses were easy. If you put the average engineer/math/or even CS major in an English BA program, they would likely graduate top of the class if not ace it.

But the product rule is part of the theory of integration. It is also important and widely applicable. If you study the Gamma distribution and want to prove that the expected value is [math] k \theta [/math] you gotta do integration by parts, which is the integral version of the product rule.

When I mean that integrals are important I mostly mean knowing the symbolic manipulations so that you can apply integrals to prove theorems like the example I gave. If you just want to compute an integral then use a computer, but a computer is not going to write interesting proofs using integrals.At least not for now.

This. Its extremely difficult to understand people that essentially are in a different grade level in terms of rigor

>If you put the average engineer/math/or even CS major in an English BA program, they would likely graduate top of the class if not ace it.
You know how I know you've never taken anything more difficult than Eng 101?

Are you saying you figured out the product rule by yourself from first principles? I mean, I did too, but when I look around at people who take math classes, most are incapable of doing that, which is why they teach it.

>If you put the average engineer/math/or even CS major in an English BA program, they would likely graduate top of the class if not ace it.

English is actually a difficult major to do well in, but there are other disciplines that are as easy as you describe e.g. cultural studies, sociology, etc.

t. non arts major

Is this sarcasm?

Sociology used to be more rigorous but it's been politicized to death.

jeez, bud

I have both an English and science degree. Weed out courses are retarded, especially since we need MORE not less people in sciences and engineering.

I had literature classes that require you to read 400 page novels each week. I had literature classes that required you to write a sonnet in a day. One of the most difficult classes I ever took in my life was a class on classical poetics. So sure, there's some tough courses in English, they're not bottom heavy though, the easier classes generally come first in your studies while in Earth Sciences the hardest classes were physics and statistics which come first before you get all the enjoyable oceanography and climatology courses.

>weed out class for liberal arts

It's called the limit on your credit card.

That's why you don't get a liberal arts degree.

>400 pages in a week
do these prick professors think students only take their class? shit like this is why STEM majors abhor liberal arts classes.

> weed out classes

DESU i just call them a retard filter.

that's maybe 6-8 hours reading max. Do an hour thirty every morning or night and you can easily finish one every week.

time I can be spent doing STEM work instead of shit I will never use the rest of my life. Fuck Shakespeare.

>400 Page novels
>muh tough life
Literally being tasked to entertain yourselfe and they still complain

Spoken like someone who relies on a calculator for basic arithmetic

>Classes like Calc 2 (which are regularly referred to as weed out here)
What brainlet university do you go to where cal 2 is considered a weed out course?

You are taking integrals in Calc 3??

Can someone give me a quick rundown what is part of which calc classes?

In germany i had

Calc 1 (series limits derivatives integration)

Calc 2 (multivariable calc)

Calc 3 complex analysis and measure theory

Yes, qualitative research is cancer. Its basically going around talk with somebody and the write a paper: 'hurr durr talked to them they told me this therefore this is true...'

Quantitative research can be quite rigorous though.

t. Physics and sociology double major

>In germany i had
>Calc 1 (series limits derivatives integration)
>Calc 2 (multivariable calc)
>Calc 3 complex analysis and measure theory

No you didn't

Litterature is a somewhat difficult major, assuming your school isn't shit anf your profs are actually intelligent, I'd say the average IQ should range from 120-130. Litterature is always almost intertwined with philosophy, I know someone who had to take some logics classes to be able to graduate. People in lit. Typically have a very high verbal IQ. They have my respect. As long as they don't go in the
>hurr durr I like harry potturr and stuff
mentality, they should be respected atleast more than Business majors.

In the US it's generally:

Calc 1: Differentiation and some basic integration

Calc 2: More advanced techniques of integration, basic differential equations, series

Calc 3: Multivariable calculus and basic vector analysis

real/complex analysis, measure theory, harmonic analysis etc. is not taught at all in calculus 1-3.

>science degree
>doesn't say what kind
I bet there's good reason for that

>we need more people in "science"!!!!
There isn't even enough room for all STEM grads with decent grades in non-retardfaggot fields to be employed, that last thing we need is to even further degrade these pieces of paper by letting any mong get their smart boy certificate without having to take any classes that are above the level of the average person

Read the second paragraph, brainlet. He said he studied geoscience.

Yes i did.

I am a physicist though, so maybe they put all the math they think a physicist has to know into one course and called it Calc.

I know that our calc 1&2 is quite similar to the lectures the math students have. Calc 3 however covers measure theory only briefly. The math students have a seperate lecture for that.

The modules are big as well with 4 hrs of lectures, 2 hours of tutorial and 2 hours of central tutorial (a phd student doing additional proofs and covering intresting problems) per week. And the complimetary problem sheet of course.
Thank you :)

>average iq
>lists an above average iq

Let's not pretend literature majors are a distinct population when literally 70% of the US age appropriate population is being funneled into university right now, bud

Interesting, my classes (also in Germany) were a lot different.

Analysis 1: Definitions of the natural, rational and real/compley numbers, metric spaces, compactness, series and continuity.

Analysis 2: Differentiation and Riemann Integration.

Analysis 3: (Higher analysis): Measure theory, Integration theory, L^p spaces, Integration on Manifolds.

And there is often called Analysis 4 (which I did not take since I had to choose between that and functional analysis) which is complex analysis.

but you are a grown ass woman user

In my Canadian calc for engineers courses, we have

Calc 1 - Differentiation and integration including stuff like u-sub and complex substitution
Calc 2 - Series/sequences and multivar/vector calc

and then differential eqns are seperate classes.

political sociology here

Pretty much all the quantitative methods and statistical coursework does the job.

We have a lot of shit people coming in from feminist and marxist theory backgrounds, but as soon as they're asked to starting working with stats or build study designs they have meltdowns.

I've known hundreds of incredibly talented STEM majors coming from incredibly difficult and rigorous schools, and maybe two of them could write a coherent sentence. "STEM can't write," isn't a meme, it's a glaring fact.

>hurrdurrr doing integrals by hand is unimportant xdddd
Someone has to program those computers to do integrals for you, fucking brainlet engineer.

>Someone has to program those computers to do integrals for you, fucking brainlet engineer.
Yes and learning how to do that is infinitely more interesting them solving hundreds of these integrals.

How come the greatest arts/philosipcial types all have been STEM minds like da Vinci and Descartes? You can't do shit in the heavy math degrees like Math/physics/engineering without a somewhat abstract vision.

Are you comparing a programmer to an engineer? I can take shit from physics/math majors but a fucking code monkey?

>da Vinci
>Descartes
>greatest arts/philosophical types

Hooooo buddy you don't know how wrong you are.

Name a better artist than da Vinci.

Are you autistic? A computer is a tool, in order to use it to the fullest, you have to understand the underlying reasoning behin it. It's that way for literally everything, you actual retard

I concur, I’m doing fine in that class rn but like two thirds of the students are failing

This is so weird. Linguistics was one of the easiest As I ever had back in the day. I had a harder time in my literature and Latin courses and a much harder time in my early physics course where I got only Bs.

Linguistics I literally just did the homework. Never studied, automatic A. Other libarts courses required at least doing some reading and note taking. Physics required actually forcing myself to practice the concepts and double checking to make sure I was getting it right.

t. useless dilettante that learned a bit of everything and can actually say what was subjectively easier.

incase

???

Considering your reading comprehension is complete shit, he may have a point. He said that the average IQ FOR LITERATURE MAJORS AT NON-SHIT SCHOOLS should be 120-130, not that the average IQ is 120-130.

In Ancient Greece people recited the entire text of the Iliad from memory

Yeah and they owe denbts.

debts*

>being this new

I feel like this is the best way to do it. It would probably be too difficult though for many students, especially nonmath majors.

I'm a Math/CS major at Harvard. This is 100% false. It difficult to gain admission into top schools without strong writing skills and much more difficult to graduate without them.

Yeah but they employed a lot of strategies to help them remember things. There were certain words and phrases and grammatical techniques they used. Also, it wasn't written in response. Also it changed everytime someone spoke it, the story evolved over time until it became what we know it today, which just happened to be the version that existed when the greek alphabet was introduced.

I don't know how Harvard is, but as long as you can write a decent admissions essay and write a few essays for two writing seminars you're good for STEM at my school.

>t. Cornell ECE major

The admissions essay should weed out the worst writers. You don't have to be gifted, but if it's shit you're going to look a lot worse than the English concentrators. Also, in high school you're forced to take a bunch fo English classes, and while they aren't the best, the top students usually do very well in them, evincing some skill in writing, though at a high school level. All the honors track here require a senior thesis so anyone who does that isn't a complete garbage writer. And the liberal arts aspect forces students to take a handful of classes where they write. Obviously, these STEM kids aren't on the level of philosophy PHD studnets on the level of writing, but I don't know anyone here who can't write a coherent essay.

>being a jewish kike

Berkeley.

Calc 1 - Advanced HS math + limits + differentiation
Calc 2 - Integration
Calc 3 - Series + imaginary numbers

>computers solve equations analytically

well the hardest liberal arts thing to do would be learning another language, and also the most employable skill

>learning another language, and also the most employable skill
Definitely not. If you know another language, you're gonna be the person that will amaze other people at a family dinner but that's all. If you wanna learn an actual employable skill, learn programming, to build stuff or something like that.

Michelangelo

you must not live in America. Knowing Spanish is a HUGE asset in finding a job.

Top kek

so those marxist fucks can't even do stats?

is this true for big name leftists like chomsky or zizek as well?