/uni/ - University General

How's your class work coming along?

How's your research going?

Any job interviews or offers?

failed a test last week
gonna fail another tomorrow
will probably kms soon

Alright. I have an Ochem test tomorrow and a Microbio unknown lab where I deterimine an unknown bacteria. I wish you the best OP.

>How's your class work coming along?
awful
>How's your research going?
awful
>Any job interviews or offers?
nope

Classwork is alright, signals and systems is eating me ass but not too important.

I cant seem to get into research, anyone have tips? Ive asked a few professors at my uni in my desired field (photonics/optics) and I either dont have enough classes yet (while still ahead during 3rd year) or they dont respond to emails.

Still yet to get any chances even with a good gpa, etc....feels miserable when some start in freshman year

It's so great hearing all my friends and everyone in my classes talking about an internship they got or a job offer they got, meanwhile I'm over here receiving rejection letters from companies. Go to college they said, you will find a good job easy they said.

wat you studying?

not great
Ha!
hahahahaha

Mechanical engineering

To add to that, I went the mechanical engineering route cause I want to work designing prosthetics. Over time I learned I had to broaden my field such as oil and gas companies. It really does suck.

ahhh, sorry to hear that bro. Good luck

Prosthetics and biomechanical engineering seems a lot more research focused than industry focused at this point. A few of my profs are doing research in the field so I've had the chance to talk to them about it a bit. One cool biomechanical topic is car crash survivability with studying human body impact resistance and how to design vehicles to be more safe and ergonomic.

How many times have you applied so far?

Been skipping classes and now I have a genetics and ochem test next week and probably going to do terrible on it and my GPA will suffer. I hate having to work part-time and study, never have enough time in the world.

Nope, I haven't even been seeing my profs as often as I should.

>How's your class work coming along
Holding up, handing in tutorial stuff on time

2nd year undergrad still

Got a Jane Street internship interview lined up so far

Have you guys ever failed in a class?

I worked hard for the first half of term then things went to shit but because I had built up a buffer it isn't too horrible yet. It's slowly falling apart but hopefully term will end before all fails.

I really should get to reading background material and making concrete plans, although this is just a project (but it is real research in a real group, just that I'm a babby there doing babby's second research).

I should probably apply first. I should also apply for PhD positions. Really starting to feel the heat.

Falling behind as I have 6 exams at christmas and a project due before then, really tough to manage them all equally

>How's your research going

In the final year of my undergrad

> Any job interviews or offers?

Two job interviews next week but they're not in an area I'm interested in,l beggars cant be choosers i guess.

Semi xpost from /g/, will structure it more as a question this time.

I'm currently doing a research Msc for an institute, they pay all fees, pay me a salary, and pay for equipment, p. good. I'm pretty sure they will offer me a PhD when I'm finishing up, but I kind of want to go into industry instead.

My question is would it be better to have 4 years industry experience, or spend 4 years on a PhD?

From what I've heard a PhD doesn't really impact progress up to the peaks of the corporate ladder, but a masters is much better than a degree for faster career progression. I'm not sure if that's true though.

I failed Math 101, Phys 101, and Chem 101. I literally never studied, almost never went to class, and skipped 2/3 tests.

I'd succ dick to get into Jane Street,
Quant trading?

Very few fields require/benefit from a PhD outside of academia.

Are you a math major(-ing)?

>3.8 GPA Physics and Maths major.
>Slowly becoming less and less interested in both fields
>Uni killing all passion
>Been smoking more and more weed past semesters and studying less, getting better grades somehow
>Mental health very gradually declining
>Physical health rapidly declining. In shape but my body feels like it is getting worn fast. Need to get a standing desk.
>Last exam, electrodynamics in 5 days time
>Awarded research scholarship (~$2000) to help some grad student out with his gravitational wave research
>Going to smash drugs all holidays and maybe try start a business on top of the research project. Can't wait
>3rd year next year, cbf
>Pic related