How do you qualify someone to not being smart enough to do a certain task? Let's say for example getting a degree in X

How do you qualify someone to not being smart enough to do a certain task? Let's say for example getting a degree in X.
My girlfriend is starting University next year and she has had a lot of trouble finding what she wants to get into. Everything she finds something she says something along the lines of: "But it doesn't matter if I like it, I won't ever make it" or "I love this but I am not smart enough to do it". (We are talking about STEM degrees).
Personally I believe anyone can be "smart" enough to do any degree as long as they put in the effort.

Does anyone else share the same opinion? Or do you think some people are really just not smart enough to do something? Share your beliefs with us.

There are many things which most people are not smart enough to do. Getting a university degree is not one of them.
If you are willing to try you need to be a complete chimp to be unable to get a degree.

And the work that comes after a degree? Is that something anyone is smart enough to do?

What do you count as stuff not everyone is smart enough to do? Give a few examples

The hard part of a job is that more in terms of quantity is expected of you than at university. Intellectually your job will probably be braindead compared to the degree you needed to get it, at least in my first and second-hand experience.

Not everybody is smart enough to do research in an abstract field of study, or pass math 55, or write a (good) book, or win the IMO, or many other things.
You can tell immediately by looking at something that it requires an exceptional input person.

Nope faggot, your girlfriend is a tard.

>tfw study every single day and still on the edge of failing most of my classes

Yes op. Some people just shouldn't try. Me included.

If you're not actually disabled you're smart enough to do any of those things, it's just a matter of how long it's going to take you. And really smartness is just one factor of many. I would say I'm smart enough to do STEM no problem, but I really struggle mainly because of my bad attitude and my bad habits.

You know what, I might just be in denial

you're in denial.

hardwork will win out at uni, university is fair.

>hardwork will win out at uni,

yeah, but only if you have the brain structure to retain the information you study

*hard work will mostly/usually win out even in most stem subjects if you have a minimum IQ of around 120-130.

I believe someone with an IQ as low as 100 could get a PhD in physics, but they would never compete effectively with their peers.

And they still won't understand "Rick and Morty".

>100 is low
man i should just kill myself

People with less than 120 IQ shoupdn't go into STEM. They're just giving themselves a hard time.

If you want, that sounds kinda extreme...

You could just find a profession where raw intelligence doesn't account for a massive amount of the individual's competitive advantage.

Like, anything in marketing tends to be really good money, trades (specifically welding) are really underrated. It's kind of an art and not everyone is good at it. Umm... 100 IQ is probably plenty for a lot of IT jobs as well. You just have to find a way to be useful. Medical writing sometimes pays very well.

That's what I've been saying to a lot of people in this thread. You CAN get the degree with less, but they just won't compete well with their peers. IQ isn't everything, but it's very far from nothing.

It all boils down to interest. A mediocre intellect can excel at a subject as long as the person has enough interest in it to supply the necessary drive.

Maybe so, but I'd say mediocre intellect starts at 130 IQ or so, anything below that would just be misguided effort driven by motivation.

>mediocre intellect starts at 130
good bait

>mediocre
What a funny way to mispell mensa

So you claim a person with less than 130 IQ can excel at any subject given enough ""hard work""?
Maybe they can excel at a craft like sculpting or drawing, but something that truly requires excellence and intelligence like being world-class programmers (Carmack, Stallman, Knuth) or physicists (Hawking, Einstein, Newton) etc is a height they will NEVER reach through hard work. Everyone mentioned above has an IQ in the 155-170 range, and that's no coincidence.

Cough swagood.***

>this level of autism

here's your (You)

She is just lazy. There are disciplines that do not require high IQ, just good memory. Like doctors, lawyers, non technical teachers, cooks.

>medicine is only memorization meme
I'd like to see you try to do even the simplest surgery without killing someone lol.

>How do you qualify someone to not being smart enough to do a certain task?
You don't. You just try it exhaustively and then intuitively understand if you can or not do that. There are too many variables involved in the question of whether someone is or not able to do a given task, that one can't possibly measure it with our current technology level.

>How do you qualify someone to not being smart enough to do a certain task?

•They can't finish the task in x amount of required time.
•They can't do all parts of the task at all even with electronic/tool help.
•In their mind, they can't hold all the currently needed parts of the task to do one or more parts of the task.
•They lack experience and training to the point where attempting to perform the task is a health risk to themselves or others.
•After learning and being properly trained to do the task they are unable to properly recall what they've learned and been trained to do in whole or in part depending on the way the task needs to be performed.

The above things are just about all the glaring instances where a person shouldn't be relied on to do a certain task. Meaning, they have access to the knowledge that can be taught to them, the tools and resources, as well as specific training to do the task. Yet, they are unable to do it. There are many other reasons a person can't do a task, but the other reasons are not intelligence related.

>she says... "But it doesn't matter if I like it, I won't ever make it" or "I love this but I am not smart enough to do it"

This is one of the other reasons. Through her life, someone, or several people close to her, have put her down for seemingly simply things. This can occur from a single event in her very early childhood or be happening on a daily basis or anything in between. This has ended up being a self-debasement problem that wrecks all self-confidence in the face of minor challenges. Thankfully, for most people, education for a degree is the hardest thing they will need to do in their entire lives. Only a few professions require this or harder levels of challenges on a regular basis.

This is a self-discipline and self-confidence problem. Always remember, if you are about to fail a class and have yet, drop that class and take it again next semester. That keeps your scores high and pressures lower.

>mediocre

That means below average. In regard to IQ it would be below average IQ. Which is something that seems to be afflicting you.

What does surgery have to do with medicine? Surgeon and pharmacist are two different fields with different skill sets. However, surgery unto itself is really simple. The main problem stems from people's empathy towards another person. You have to push the emotions of cutting someone open aside or not have that type of empathy in the first place.

>surgery is simple
Stopped reading here, math major.

>That means below average
Wrong. It literally means average. You can tell by ony looking at the word itself, Median -> Mediocre.

It is the "not good" of "moderate". Meaning below average.

Are you me ?

get a new gf

No I lover her very much I support her

Yes

yeah, but it's not a linear relationship. Someone with an IQ of say, 75, could probably get through a physics degree, but it would require a ridiculous amount of studying, probably 12 hours a day. So it's safe to say it isn't possibe

Reevaluate your study habits, try and find better ways of teaching yourself, ask for help until you understand well enough regardless of how many times you have to ask.