ITT. Physics

Whats Veeky Forums take on this?

Is it possible? if so, under what circumstances and considerations?

pls respond

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sbfr6k7R9zQ
youtu.be/nSSNonaBw-8?t=7m
youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_e0qiZz7c
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php#stealthship
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>is it possible
sure, why not
>circumstances
magic space engines that give you whatever thrust you desire

are you sure boyo? I am not so sure.

If there were support beams constructed under the hull to counter smaller vessels from doing this, I guess it could work. Though the way the Star Destroyer chews into the other one like it was made of paper mache shows they aren't supported by such things. In which case the small vessel should have cut straight into the Star Destroyer. With the amount of thrust it was generating, there's no way that small a area would be able to withstand it without proper beams.

its fucking space the ships would have bounced off each other

we need to science the shit out of this one Veeky Forums

The impulse during the collision would have been higher than what the first star destroyer experienced from the Hammerhead accelerating it, which would allow the Hammerhead to push without breaching it, but creating a destructive collision.
Moreover, the surface that is acted on is different in the star destroyer that is obliterated; with it experiencing all the forces towards the bridge, whereas the first star destroyer experienced the forces all on its edge. The edge may have been more reinforced than the bridge for purposes such as ramming.
It's plausible.

There's basically no way the Hammerhead had engines that could accelerate a Star Destroyer laterally that quickly.

>if we make the exhaust plumes longer that put out more power!

Given that the small ship is made of much stronger material and if you gave it several days of thrusting, then probably, yes.

I don't think it should have been possible given simply that, if that were happening, the star destroyer getting pushed would just give it some gas and get out ahead of the other.
I haven't seen the movie but if there was some reason the bridge/engine were out of commission, then I give it a pass.
However, there is no way it would just cleave the other destroyer like that. Unless, of course, the first destroyer was made of glorious Nippon steel.

space travel is fAkE

Examining the whole sequence, it can be seen that the Hammerhead sinks deeper once it has already started using the thrusters. Moving such a huge vessel at such rapid speed means the thrusters are generating such high power that that the Star Destroyer should give in, and the Hammerhead with it's small area point should cut through. It would be a different story if the tip of the Hammerhead ship had more surface area, but it doesn't.
>youtube.com/watch?v=sbfr6k7R9zQ
Time stamp is 1:30

>the star destroyer getting pushed would just give it some gas and get out ahead of the other.
>I haven't seen the movie but if there was some reason the bridge/engine were out of commission,
that is what happened, ion cannons knocked out the power or something

The more questionable thing is how the Hammerhead survives the collision.

That's exactly how space works in the eyes of everyone besides few autists with ocd.

God I want to crush your head with a rock.

In the first X-Wing game, this same ship (a heavily modified Corellian Corvette) is instead used to ram straight through the bridges of a vast number of star destroyers under construction at a ship yard. This scene is unlikely at best, even in Star Wars, and I blame Disney.

hah I even found the clip:
youtu.be/nSSNonaBw-8?t=7m

Logically, I don't see why the second big ship (star destroyer?) wouldn't just bump off the first and gain a bit of momentum, or move with it as the first big ship and the small ship do. Especially considering the relative surface areas over which the force acts between the small and big ships.

what is tug?
also space has only inertia no friction.
but it is irrevelant as star wars is very unscientefic

Absolutely plausible. Though it appears that star destroyers have really fucking weird mass distributions from that webm.

Could be the location of an attitude control thruster, so it could very well

but the impulse the hammerhead applies occurs over a much longer time period than the collision

What is questionable is why the destroyer being pushed cuts through the other like a knife as opposed to being turning into debris. The other thing that's questionable about this is that if a small ship can take out a big ship like this, then why don't battleships have racks of ship pushing missiles? Or better, just big anti-ship missiles that tear through the bridge

It's just a fucking movie though.

If the smaller ship is able to push against the starboard of the ship and not penetrade the outer walls, then the larger surface area collision of the two major ships should create more of a bump accident rather than splitting in half like the video clip. Its definetly possible to push it off course but seems like the physics are a bit off.

>A ship powered with the plot drive

Anything is possible

Possible? Yes
Circumstances? First you're gonna need about 10x the gdp of earth and a fuck ton of metal and rocket fuel.
Then you're gonna need about 40 years to build this shit. Then about an hour to destroy it all.

>this thread again.

It is high order bullshit, that's what it is. Simply put, the amount of thrust needed to do that would have shot that smaller ship into and through the larger one, wrecking both. You can't have something weighing that much accurate that fast in the short of a range to cause that much damage with what they showed doing it.

>that much accelerate*

fixed

>boring ugly tincans vs
>cool looking fantastical ships that make you dream about reaching the stars
I know what I prefer to see in movies.

>>>/reddit/

Tugboats are impossible.

Same way a tugboat does.

The actual real question is why the destroyers crumple like poorly-baked pottery with the same kinetic energy spread over a much larger area. The structural strength of the destroyer could fi either end of that scene, but not both.

I'd like to see a movie that portrays space combat as something like submarine combat.
>No visual contact
>Fighting an enemy on instruments only
>Trying to mask your signature with heat sink drones and ecm bullshit
>G forces killing the unlucky crewmen not strapped in during combat
I bet people would watch it.

Yeah if anything they should just violently scrape/bounce around

>STEEL BEAMS
>ROGUE ONE WAS AN INSIDE JOB

also no sound in space at all
the star wars space fight scenes should be kind of silent no ? i mean the ones far enough from a planets atmosphere

I would love that.
>Tense music as the the sensor operator watches the incoming projectiles
>Sudden crash as the projectile impacts the bulkhead accompanied by the sound of decompression
>Silence

Tugs gently come up along side a ship and then start pushing.
This thing was going at pretty high speed and rams into the side of the Star Destroyer (on an angle but still).

There was enough force in the impact for them to feel it in the bridge. They should have been scraping the Hammerhead off the side of the Star Destroyer (and the crew off the viewport).

Maybe the sides of the destroyers have much higher structural strenghth than the top, so when the side of the destroyer hits the base of the bridge it just cuts through it

the first new gen star trek movie had a scene liek that in the begining where the romulans kick ass and people fly out into space

I think the remake of Battlestar Galactica did that. They were also fond of using nukes as anti ship weapons.

>In the first X-Wing game

umm no, I had that game you cant fly as one of these and any big ship you bump into kills you. Even if you have full shields and you bump into an unshielded tie you get damaged or destroyed. Also you can t fly as a corvet.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_e0qiZz7c

The first assumption we must make is that Science Fiction produces materials that are essentially indestructible.
In reality, the smaller ship would have pancaked against the larger ship (assuming the larger ship was a solid mass of metal), or ploughed straight through it with both ships getting torn apart like tissue paper along the vector of interaction. There just are no materials in our universe that could ever handle that amount of force against that amount of inertia without failing, and that includes carbon nanotubes and other meme-materials.

If we assume that the ships are made of MAGIC METAL that can withstand infinite force without deforming, and also MAGICALLY that force will not be subsequently translated into heat and flash-roast everybody inside the ships - then yes, it could totally work. The smaller ship would just require thrusters with equivalent thrust as the Star Destroyer's own thruster bank to move the ship anywhere near that quickly. With those comparatively dinky thrusters, such a maneuver would likely have taken the better part of an hour.

If you want to enjoy science fiction, you really have to stop thinking. None of it makes any fucking sense, and that's fine because it's all a fairy tale.

>Same way a tugboat does.
Except while we're talking about equivalent differences in size between tugboat and ship, the sizes of the hammerhead and star destroyer are roughly 10x larger or more than our nautical equivalents, and since mass is cubic rather than linear we're talking about a staggering increase in the forces involved.
Nothing can survive this maneuver. It would be cataclysmic for both vessels. Even just a light bump into one another would be horrendously damaging.

Dude I literally linked you directly to the cutscene where it happens. No, you don't fly the corvette, you help acquire it and make good on the other elements of the mission. My point was that even this old videogame on the same intellectual property does physics better than modern Disney.

It is kind of weird that the center of mass is close to the end of the Star Destroyer. I mean you would think it was at the back so the hammer head would just spin the ship instead of moving the whole damn thing.

Anyway just based on assumptions I got these numbers.
distance=200meters
Star Destroyer mass = 40*10^9
time till impact = 12 seconds
d/t=16.6 m/s
m*a=664*10^9N

So about 3 Hiroshima bombs ma dude.

Stealth in space is impossible, it will be nothing but big dumb rockets throwing as many casaba howitzers they possibly can at each other while going fast as fug.

Nuclear jousting here we come.

>nuclear spar torpedoes in space

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Projectiles might be stealthy.

Stealth is space is possible, you just need to lug around tanks of liquid hydrogen you can boil off to keep your surface temperature at background levels.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php#stealthship

Interesting link, I stand corrected. Although wouldn't such a design have significantly less acceleration then something like a fusion torch battleship? I would think being able to get around the solar system as fast as possible is a massive boon to any warship, although I guess it depends on what your actually fighting over.

Oh, those poor space nazis!