What are you reading and what are you going to read next

first time reading a philosophy book, mostly read business books.
I've always thought my reading level wasn't good so I've avoided books I think are too complex, recently read a blog online that said we should read to lead, meaning read what you find challenging.

So glad I'm reading this book! what do you think I should next

This might be my next one

About half way through Blood Meridian, not quite as captivating as I expected.

Next up is Jude the Obscure or Moby Dick

Atlas Shrugged if you want complex but not deep

I disagree with 90% of the politics in it but it was somehow actually enthralling to read. A lot of foreshadowing & science fiction-esque inventions. It read like a cheesy shounen anime, once I got used to the prose style.

around the beginning of freedom by jonothan frazen, its pretty intersting, especially Patty

next up is my struggle book 1

The theory of advertising by Walter Dill Scott

got all these used on the cheap, aiming to finish them in ~2 months. Recently finished the New Testament, a few of Philo's works, and a few books of Josephus' History. I've read a lot of Plato/Shakespeare, so now I'm going to read through their stuff chronologically. Then I'll read Plotinus and Aquinas

i think more people should read stuff they disagree with, how can you argue against something you don't understand?
moby dick is great, read it

currently reading Lattimore's translation of Iliad. Finished book one and so far it's pretty good.

Next up is either the Odyssey or The Decline of Pleasure

how do you like the translation?

Currently going through Shakespeare's plays. Read a few of them years ago in school, but this is my first time going through them independently.

Just finished Hamlet, going to read Macbeth next.

On that note, any good productions i should watch? I've seen the bbc one's recommended on here a few times.

>Next up is either the Odyssey or The Decline of Pleasure

It's gotta be the Odyssey man.

It's not bad. I question whether I might have a more "poetic" experience with Fitzgerald, but from what I understand this is the most accurate translation of what Homer wrote that is available in English and I've only gone through the first book, so there's plenty of time to form an opinion.

>all those in two months

I wish i could go through stuff that quick.

How are the paper for those editions by the way? I got the one for Plato and the paper is so thin you can seen the text of other pages through the page, it's really irritating.

currently reading stephen mulhall's guidebook to being and time. it's good but it's pretty dense and will probably take me another few days.

going to read fear and trembling or portrait of an artist next.

Yeah the Plato, Shakespeare, and of course the Bible all use bible paper, which isn't ideal but whatever. Philo & Josephus' page layouts are in columns like a bible, which I kind of like for these kind of texts. The best edition is Plotinus, quality paper and reasonably sized font.

i am currently reading life and fate by grossman and american pastoral by roth and i suspect i will be for a while
the first for fun, the second for my book group
they're both really good

i have no idea what i will read next. i'm thinking about the second knausgaard but we'll have to see what i'm in the mood for

Macbeth (2015) with Michael Fassbender
Julius Ceasar (1953) with Marlon Brando
Roman Polanskis Macbeth is also good but i prefer the newer one

the fiennes corelianus is pure kino

how's your book club?

Finally getting around to reading war and peace. I've been struggling to take down the beast since 6th grade and only just found a paperback copy that was shoved in a box in the back of my closet. Next up is either the demon king or angelopolis

it's great
it's mainly retired old ladies who are all really well read and i think some of them used to be university professors
and a random gay dude who teaches economics and an aspiring author rich lady with big tits who literally lives in a mansion
and my mother who persuaded me to join years ago when i was living with my parents for a spell and she was discussing the books she'd read with me and said i should join to discuss them with everyone else

it's one of the retired old ladies who is still fucking brilliant who's chosen american pastoral and i'm looking forward to seeing how upset everyone else is by how depressing and unpleasant it is

that's cool, i gotta find me a good book club

T O R O N T O
O
R
O
N
T
O

Jk our bodies are a lie and we need to ascend into unity with the one :)

soma sema brother

Currently rereading Petersburg by Andrei Bely. Definitely my favorite book after another read. Can't wait to get further into my Russian to read it in the original language. Next I'm either going to read Pan by Knut Hamsun or the Box Man by Kobo Abe

Currently reading Les Miserables but I have a college work load so it will be a while until I finish the book. Im thinking then of reading Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs. If anybody would say yay or nay to this it would be helpful :)

My dad is big into the civil war so I got him both Grant and Sherman's memoirs, he really enjoyed them. If you're interested in the subject I'm sure you'll enjoy it

what do the sticky notes signify?