Can't we make a gmo algae sort of like africanized bees that thrives in globally warmed oceans and fixes co2 issues?

Can't we make a gmo algae sort of like africanized bees that thrives in globally warmed oceans and fixes co2 issues?

Yes we could if the new generation of scientists weren't ridden of brain death anime fans like yourself.

So you're saying we need more people like me?

sure, but you have to actually learn how to do that first
though filling the global ecosystem with a new species that you're not exactly sure how it will work out is like that time they tested the atom bomb and wasn't sure if it would ignite the atmosphere, except this time that risk is very large

Usually ecosystems self-correct. Natural selection will select for organisms that can thrive off a new plentiful food source.

Higher CO2 is causing a global greening of plants already.

I have no idea what you mean by making algae like africanized bees.

What's the risk? Either it succeeds or it fails. If it's a failure, algae are biodegradable and would do no real harm. If it grows out of control and outcompetes other marine life, that's a worthwhile sacrifice, algae is a food source and such massive growth could absolve energy and global warming issues.
Obviously we'd need artificial biodiversity

>I have no idea what you mean by making algae like africanized bees.
an artificially created organism that outcompetes local wildlife. africanized bees were made by humans but the ecosystem didn't self-correct.

This sounds like a bad idea. I mean its a good idea in theory but what if the algae mutates and takes over the ocean yo, then we fugged

>If it grows out of control and outcompetes other marine life, that's a worthwhile sacrifice
whoops we destroyed 30% of all marine species and nuked all the reefs and now all the whales died too but it's cool because we can all eat algae lol

whoops our lack of diversity in our ocean life combined with some unforeseen issue caused all our mutant algae to die off in droves, turning our oceans into a wasteland lol

whoops our algae were too efficient at fixing co2 so the lowered levels massively impacted terrestial plant life too lol

whoops our planet is fucked if we don't manage to correct the entire global ecosystem by correctly engineering dozens of interacting species and transplanting them into the wild within a few decades lol

science is magic lol

Algae blooms pull all the o2 out of the surrounding water IIRC, although it might be co2 either way it stops the fishies from breathing. too much algae from artificial nitrates is already an issue

These algae already exists naturally. The problem is that water absorbs light really fucking well. In addition the fact that more algae you stack up on each other make light penetrate exponentially less effective. Also, water is a shitty co2 absorber. I don't remember the exact number but air has like 10x more capacity for co2 compared to water. If you want to solve this problem: develop flying algae.
Tldr water sucks.

Grow or die, baby. Maybe it's the kick in the ass humanity needs.

Just make the super tasty for whales

>make algea to fix man made environmental problem slowly killing everything
>"dude that might kill everything faster"
>lol they should just adapt to my super algea
Anime posters should die

B-but my kudzu prevents e-erosion sempai, and is edibur

You really don't want too much algae in anyone place, they kill off other species by absorbing all the sunlight close to the surface. Algal blooms can also be poisonous, such as California's red tides.

>Can't we make a gmo algae sort of like africanized bees that thrives in globally warmed oceans and fixes co2 issues?
Yes, you have my permission to go ahead and do that. I'd like to see a complete report about the entire process on my desk Monday morning. Thanks.

That would have to be a shitload of algae, and we'd be kind of stuck with it. Plants don't do anything magic to get rid of CO2. They use the carbon along with water to make glucose, which in turn is used to make cellulose, proteins, fats, and basically everything else in the plant. So there's a direct relationship being amount of plant mass and carbon sequestration. And if the plant is consumed, the process is reversed.
Keeping that in mind, consider a large tree's worth of algae mass, and consider that algae needs to live at or near the surface of the ocean, so it tends to spread laterally.

>we didn't take any risks
Whoops we all died from complacency

t. icaros

Microbes are the obvious choice for any terraforming of Earth (or any other planet). After all, they terraformed it in the first place. And they make up the vast majority of all bio-mass on the planet.
We've been converting safely stored greenhouse gases into atmospheric greenhouse gases for a few hundred years. If microbes, algea, whatever can help reverse that process, great. Why not?