Veeky Forums, I'm on course to graduate May 2018 with a BS in physics (minor in Math)

Veeky Forums, I'm on course to graduate May 2018 with a BS in physics (minor in Math).

Where the fuck do I get a job? I have no real world experience in anything meaningful. I'm worried, loans will be coming due.

The concept of a full time job is so alien to me, as I've only worked $10/hr part time jobs my entire life. I'm 25 years old. Will be 26 when I graduate.

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/node/17723223
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can continue on the high road to a physics doctorate or take the low road to engineering. The physics BA should be sufficient for a career in fast food, though.

Connections are King and university is a meme. Anyone interested in science trivia should study it at little to no monetary cost on their own time. Also don't dive into grad school, unless you want to double your debt and hate yourself for years to come, while being taxed soon by Trump, until you snap and murder your masochists professor.

Are you retarded? Go to grad school.

>finishes master
>how do i find a job Veeky Forums?
>are you retarded, get a phd

>unless you want to double your debt

Why do people keep saying this? Sure, grad school isn't a good idea if you're after money but they pay you to be a grad student. The lack of an offer of funding is a soft rejection.

dude just search for graduate jobs and apply for anything STEM related, research what these jobs entail and write a CV that's tailored to that job, repeat ad nauseum

>double your debt

Outed as not understanding PhDs. Go back to precalculus class before the teacher notices how long you've been phone posting on the shitter

It's a BS, not a BA. (Don't know the difference)

I originally wanted to do grad school, but after realizing how much more tests and other bullshit I'd need to do instead of getting into the real world and making money to live, I think I'm going to decide against grad school. At least for now.

I really don't want do... I can't afford slaving for 5-6 more years getting a PhD, I'd be 30 something by the time I'm done.

>graduate jobs
What the hell is a graduate job? Like, post BS degree job?

If you can do some simple programming, you're good to go.

Signal Processing, high frequency stuff (communication systems), embedded systems, chip design. Just to throw a few things out there.

Did you really not learn anything about how the things you studied are applied in the real world? You will be a physics grad after all, knowing about applications should be top priority.

You still have plenty of time to pick up programming skills until you graduate or even better get some practical experience through a student internship before you graduate.

Sadly I never learned any programming (formally).

>Did you really not learn anything about how the things you studied are applied in the real world? You will be a physics grad after all, knowing about applications should be top priority.
No really. I fell like I haven't learned much, not a fan of our physics program at all. Have had to take more stupid gen eds than physics courses.

>You still have plenty of time to pick up programming skills until you graduate or even better get some practical experience through a student internship before you graduate.
I was going to do a research position at the end of the semester and I mentioned I'd like my focus to be on programming/data analysis, so perhaps I'll go through with that.
Feeling pretty depressed right now y'all...

That's right. Atleast you have that academic ego of yours to help you sleep at night.

>finishes phd
>how do i find a job Veeky Forums?
>are you retarded, why did you fall for the physics meme?

Well that's what school does. Doesn't prepare you for the outside world and just traps you in academia because firms want the skills you weren't taught and think you're out of your element. Those who startup their own ventures learn outside of school and don't go to academia for long if at all. University is flooded by deceived lemmings benefiting from grade inflation. Common sense dictates the road to your dreams isn't the one leading the dumb masses of a cliff. Don't follow the crowd

loads of companies and employers offer graduate placements and full employment to people straight out of uni, literally Google graduate jobs there's whole websites dedicated to it

I know. I'm a brainlet who doesn't have any skills...

I'll take a look.

Outside of a few specializing in machine learning Google has a reputation for giving degrees little weight when assessing the qualifications of an applicant.

Overall university is a scam surviving through being an Accreditation monopoly. Can be replaced with recorded video lectures and exam fees, since you're doing this shit by yourself anyway.

economist.com/node/17723223

>Bachelor of Arts
BA
>Bachelor of Science
BS
Real difference is BS has more credits you need to complete and BA has less with more liberal arts core credits on the side. Really easy to double major when doing a BA but some employers might have a problem, rarely though

Just work for the DOD. Clearly you did not pick a career path and just went for the general subject like most of us.

How do?

>Veeky Forums, I'm on course to graduate May 2018 with a BS in physics (minor in Math).

Why the fuck would you do this?

Locate nearest enlistment office. Air force recommended.

Why do people like OP fall so hard for the university meme? In terms of STEM, unless you don't want to do research and you're studying something useful like engineering, CS, or chemistry that companies actually search for, there is no point in getting a university degree.

Because when I picked my major I figured Physics would be great. And I liked the subject. :\

Idk, I was out of school for 4 years before I went to Uni, I had gotten nowhere in that 4 years so I figured I needed a degree.

Well there's always teaching for those who don't know what to do with their degree.

Become a substitute high school teacher. Just don't have sex with the students unless you're a girl (or declare yourself one).

They don't pay you much, you can't pay off a large sum of debt from undergrad while in grad school. And those interest rates can be a killer