Did Gödel prove Math, like all human activities, is just form of Democracy?

Did Gödel prove Math, like all human activities, is just form of Democracy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics#Empiricism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_completeness_theorem
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>when a /pol/tard tries to relate rigorous things to his infantile worldview
go back

Ouch. Seems like I hit a sensitive spot in you.

B E G O N E T H O T
E
G
O
N
E

T
H
O
T

sounds like you're retarded and can't actually do math l0l

This doesn't sound like a scientific counterargument. Can you do one?

Math isn't a science you fucking brainlet.

Because?

It's not empiric.

/pol/ is so fucking stupid.

So in your opinion, empirical things are sciences.

What are non-empirical things in your opinion?

Non sciences

Interesting opinion. Thanks!

One more question: do you think mathematics is non-empirical?

go look up definition of empirical brainlet

Ah so we've reached one limit of your knowledge. You don't clearly understand what empirism means! I'm sorry I've exposed your weakness.

When I piss, is it democracy?

Why do you allow /pol/ to live rent free in your head?

Godel can suck his set's son's dick.

No.

Math is absolute. Humans choosing which parts of anything to care about could be seen as a democracy but this has nothing to do with godel.

Not even that user but he is right. Math isn’t empirical.

em·pir·i·cal
əmˈpirik(ə)l/Submit
adjective
based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.
>rather than theory or pure logic
Math is, at the most basic level, pure logic. Debate over.

No.
Thankfully very little human activities are democratic.

Also mathematics has nothing to do with the real world.

>pol
>pro Democracy
Fuck off.

>Also mathematics has nothing to do with the real world.
Fake and gay

Hang on, mathematics as a practice hinges on our ability to observe mathematical facts. In practice, therefore it's empirical even if the observations are imaginary.

The minds eye is as much a sense as any other in that it lets us observe the world.

obvious troll

Your antithesis is the architectural equivalent of a macaroni bunker

Explain.

I'm not suggesting that mathematical truths are invented following Wittgenstein, they are discovered.

But the same is true of any fact, mathematics are not distinct from the rest of the observable world in that regard.

As a practice, mathematics is no different from any other science.

he prooved conscioness doesnt exist

See
The definition of empirical basically says “not math”.

I don't think you can really prove an absolute, even something that appears universal, such as math. This means that everyone has to agree on the axioms and the cuts we use in math, because we cannot verify them absolutely. I think this is what "democratic math" refers to: not the ideal form of math, that may or may not exist as an inherent property of all things, but the math we practice.

Not that user, but you need to read more philosophy of mathematics. There's different schools of thought. Quine and Putnam were both mathematical empiricist, and among the greatest philosophers of the latter part of the 20th-century, and both great logicians/mathematicians in their own right: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics#Empiricism

smooth and clean, nice one

You can philosophize all you want. The fact is, the definition of “empirical” very clearly excludes mathematics.

idiot detected

You're truly a fucking brainlet.

But

>Rather than theory or pure logic

Presumes those exist outside of observation.

This is a false assumption.

No human practice or activity resides outside of our observation.

Just to be clear, the "Theory and logic" in itself exists as immutable fact.

But theorizing as a practice, and applying logic is a human practice, and in being a human practice requires observation.

Mathematics as a practice is empirical, Mathematical fact is immutable.

The way you're thinking is that reason/observation are different, but both rely on observation in truth and the distinction between literal vision and minds eye in this regard is semantic.

What are formal sciences???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

In terms of accepting the axioms which make up any formal system in order for it to be useful, yes.

>Fake and gay
You realize that mathematics is built up from ZFC, right?

Show me how ZFC relates to the real world, ill wait.

ZFC is just one of the various ways of formalizing the mathematics you are familiar with. If you think PDEs, Dynamical Systems, etc. have nothing to do with the real world, you are literally retarded and your brain is damaged beyond repair.

No, in the sense that you can do math on your own.

Math in academia, and the questions of what problems are hot or not in a given decade or century is certainly a social thing. What's considered proven is also a sort of "democratic" question. There have been numerous claims of things considered "true" or at least proven for many years and in those cases people go on and do math and use those results just assuming they are right.

Similarly, completely formal mathematics requires axioms (even if they are minimal and few, such as raw logics without looking at a particular theory) and which axioms are considered relevant is also a social thing.
Unless you go full Grothendieck and move away for a few years, consider your own axiom and present Algebraic Geometry from a completely different standpoint when you come back.

This was known before Gödel, though, he doesn't contribute to this question in particular.

You could go down an epistemological rabbit hole and argue what it means for something to be a given, but the fact remains that you can do math in isolation too.

>It's not empiric.
Math is a science, but not a natural science.

Why are amerifats to stupid too make that distinction?

Why do you guys even discuss this? It's pure semantics. Here, in Germany, Mathematics isn't part of the Sciences but "Geisteswissenschaften" at university, so I also never considered it science.
Wikipedia and even Veeky Forums
>Veeky Forums - Science & Math
doesn't take it to be one.
But sure, if you really want you can adopt a wording where "science" in the above classification is "natural science" and stuff like mathematics and "computer science" (in Germany, that's "Informatics") counts as science.
But it's a meaningless debate, really.

>If you think PDEs, Dynamical Systems, etc. have nothing to do with the real world, you are literally retarded and your brain is damaged beyond repair.
They do not.
Physics is not mathematics, you complete and utter retard.

Lemma Dcuts_le_ge :
∏ x y : Dcuts, x y >= x.
Proof.
easy.
Qed.

Mathematicians slack even in computer assisted proofs.

HAHAHAHAH physics is nothing more than applied mathematics you ingrate

>physics is nothing more than applied mathematics

If physics and engineering ISNT applied mathematics and mathematics can NEVER have any bearing on reality, what is enabling you to post on this internet forum from a computer? Youre level of brain damage is astounding.

You're right, but there's no point trying to be rational on this board

Not him but mathematics is a very important tool in physics and engineering. It is not synonymous with physics and engineering. They're completely different disciplines with different methodologies, goals and properties.

Empiricism is a philosophical notion, you retard.

>you realize that mathematics is built up from ZFC
Wrong. It's just one formalisation of the core of it, not even all of it. Concepts that it describes in terms of ZFC Set Theory, existed long before it did.

"science" comes from a more general meaning, a certain strain of philosophy developed into the scientific method and has a monopoly on the world now, I guess. Actually these days "science" as it is used casually, by the masses, just means the surface "facts" of scientific fields. The general sense of the word just means a systematic field of knowledge or study, this is how it is used beyond the scientific method and even empiricism.

>tfw no qt3.14 boipussy Godel bf to teach u maths

>you need to read more philosophy
I could be mistaken, but all observations seem to indicate that we live in a universe where this statement is always false

So is logic. They are mutually exclusive.

>Did Gödel prove Math, like all human activities, is just form of Democracy?
unbeknown to many is that Gödel did also proof the completeness theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_completeness_theorem

Mathematics was modeled to explain phenomena of the physical world. Examples are even as basic as addition. Not that hard to realize. The other guy is right that these branches have math incorporated in them but each branch has different reasons and primarily strive to study different things.