Engineering & Physics Career

Can a future Physics PhD attain an engineering career? I enjoy the theoretical as well and the applied areas of physics. Are there any positions that allow me to practice both? Perhaps it is better to get an undergraduate in some sort of engineering, then return to complete a PhD in physics later on.

That's usually what happens to physics PhDs that can't cut it in academia. They tend to become engineers.

So is a physics PhD worth it? Will it put me ahead of engineering students in any way? Or it the extra years in graduate school a waste of time?

Engineering is like law. You need to pass "bar exams", PE and FE exam and the only way they allow you to even take one is in you have an engineering degree by an accredited school. You would have to go back and take some engineering classes.

Being at uni for 7 years learning maths and mechanics would put you ahead of current engineering students yes. You need an engineering degree tho

PhD's in engineering have a hard time getting into an engineering career, so I imagine it's tougher for PhD's in Physics.

Just do you research and figure out what kind of career, specifically, you want to have, and plan your education accordingly.

user is right. After you get that, get some sort of engineering certification and you should be fine, but don't quote me on that. Good luck!

Which engineering degrees are best coupled with physics? Aerospace engineering + Physics seem to relate well.

Not all of us want to be jewish puppets teaching at a Marxist university but rather use our knowledge to actually achieve something.

God I hate academics. As bad as lawyers and politicians.

This, I'd rather not teach for a living.

It's what you're into man, ya got to know that whatever you do will be a pragmatic approach to the logic you had in physics, so that is, bounded inputs and accounting for real-life error.
Ya got to pick what you can imagine yourself building.

Mechanical engineering is more about system modelling than anything. It's more maths than it is building shit.

Mechatronics is getting mechanical things to move using electricity and logic. It's for blokes who bought a soldering kit because they wanted to save their shitty desktop screen by replacing the blown capacitors

Aerospace is about abusing fluid and thermo mechanical processes to min-max work applied using geometry. MASSIVE into simulation and basic fundamentals

Electrical is for.. I only know pure autists who do electrical. (idk shits magic to me)

Computer eng is useful; electrical eng and soft eng is min-maxing computer theory.

Science kind of sets you up on a different path than eng; you're not there to observe, you're there to enact.

Honestly any is fine, the background in maths will be your best asset out of all of it. Knowing how a process grows (or at least how to find out) if a process is exp, polynomic, additive, converging, diverging, off the top of your head and then assessing if it will be useful to the goal.

A high ranking school near me offers some sort of interdisciplinary engineering program. Would i be better off doing this, or is it watered down? If so, chemE and matE are pretty well rounded and I'll probably choose between those two.

One of the MechE professors at my undergrad university had a PhD in Physics and worked as a mechanical engineer. For some odd reason he also had a Bachelor's in MechE? Funny story, the autistic dean of engineering almost didn't hire him because he didn't have a PhD in Engineering. She was a cunt.

>the average physics professor is a jewish puppet preaching marxism
I really can't tell between genuine /pol/ posting and parody anymore

There are lots of applied science careers that a physics degree prepares you for. You will also likely be better with software engineering with a physics degree, if that interests you.

It sounds like you're starting out in undergrad. You probably can't tell the difference right now between physics and engineering. Only a minority of physicists are theorists. Most build things. They build experiments, they build software, hardware, financial models, missiles, bombs, etc. Physicists have a broader base of knowledge than engineers and tend to work on a broader set of problems.

There is a lack of software engineering programs in my area. Are "computer engineering" degrees the same?

>Would Y degree be best for a career as X?
No, X degree is best for a career as X. Why is it so hard for people to understand this?

I appreciate the advice, but my question was more along the lines of: " Can I do both X & Y with an X degree."

Totally. I have PhD in beam physics and work for RnD in company dealing with cyclotrons and stuff.

It's genuine schlomo don't worry.

>Electrical is for.. I only know pure autists who do electrical. (idk shits magic to me)
That's pretty mean considering that electronic engineering is the reason why meme engineering like software or CS can even exists :(

Idk what a desk-jockey's got to be smug about.

Unlike this dude seems to think, Marx would agree with him here. People don't like to be seperated from the fruits of their labour, applied work feels more productive.

Could almost consider this post respectable if it wasn't for the fact you praised a meme degree like CompE over EE.

Is EE good?

EE and CompE are both great. CompE is better if you know for sure you want to do computer shit. EE is better if you aren't sure or want to do something non-computer related like power or E&M. The fact this this other user is hating on CompE just proves he is a retard

>be CompE
>shit around in boring ass verilog like a total autist
>lose job to h1b pajeet
It's a meme degree.

that is the complete opposite experience as ive had. clearly you are the meme, go to a meme school, or only know other meme people IRL. protip: there are actual successful people in the world. sorry you don't seem to know any of them

>taking a shitpost this seriously

Would a double major in Physics and EE be a viable option? Although, I feel that this might be an unmanageable workload.

i thought about doing this too but decided against it since I was also working part time and the time. Curious to know what I missed out on

Yes, you can easily become an engineer with a doctorate in physics. But, the catch is you have the have the right type of doctorate in physics: experimental high-energy with an emphasis on hardware. You need to be an experiment-builder, not a code monkey on some LHC experiment. As such a doctoral candidate, I have done everything from electrical and mechanical engineering, to programming and data analysis. Basically, working on detector R&D, you go from mechanical design of the detectors to electrical engineering for the front-end electronics to programming/software engineering for setting up your DAQ and analyzing the data delivered by the detector. Start to finish, you're a physicist who does his own engineering. At the end, choose whatever path you like, because now you have the keys to many doors, physics, engineering, financial, etc...

Interesting, are there any other specializations that have a similar flexibility? As a doctorate in physics, do you feel like you have an advantage over other competing engineers in terms of salary?