Reading is a waste of time. Here's why

It will get you nowhere, because any knowledge in a public book is innately worthless.

The libraries of the world are archives of spent alchemy. The potent knowledge can only be gained through real experience or nepotistic inheritance.

America lost her power when she opened her books, and her privilege went with her trade secrets.

(cont)

And here's the thing. I'm not actually against reading, I'm just saying you won't get anything out of it pragmatic or towards making your life more comfortable.

It's just a lower form of a video game in reality. It's just a distraction. For me, books became the only thing I care to do in my spare time. I used to distract myself with video games; we all know how boring that becomes eventually, and it seems most of us are past video games (a lot of the other chans are becoming apathetic about video games too).

So now this trend is happening where people are thinking: "how do I make up for lost time! What do I do productive? How do I better myself?"

And, naturally, they fall for the "reading meme." It's bullshit. I've been reading for ages. I bothered to go get a MA TESOL so I could travel and teach English and not deal with bullshit because that degree is desirable around the world, and not because I want to teach, but because reading is the only thing I give a fuck to do, so I don't mind it if my job is attached to the technicalities of writing and teaching them – if I have to wagecuck, at least I can travel with this, and while I'll never get rich with it, I'll live decent enough willing to go anywhere.

But then comes what we talk about here: the value of reading. IT'S WORTHLESS!

Let's take the stuff I've been reading lately:
Topic 1 - Economics: Piketty's Capital, Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, Marx's Kapital, and even some Third Reich economics books like Gottfried Feder. Martin Ford's Rise of the Robots is popular: ROBOTS TAKIN' OUR JOBS! It goes hand in hand with Elon Musk now pitching Basic Income as a future reality.

Topic 1 Result: I understand some shit on the news a bit more? I understand that the world is fucked a bit more? But what can I actionably do? What has the shit in these public books enabled me to do? Do you know what they did?

They gave the author fucking money.

Topic 2 - History: European history, WW2 ideologies since that was the most recent major ideological battle in the West, I've read everything from American/Allied points of view, to Rosenberg's Myth, to Rosenberg's sober memoirs at Nuremberg, to Goebbels Diaries, to Hitler's Table Talk, Mein Kampf, all of Hitler's speeches. Same with the Americans: Charles Lindbergh's stuff, Father Coughlin's whining. Even our American commies like Huey Long! Poor guy got shot within a month of challenging FDR: goes to show that America is a joke run by crooks.

The Aeneid was fun, but it was puffing up Augustus. The Iliad was amusing, gorey as fuck in parts, but it's a world I don't live in, and Gods I never had a connection to, so at best a bittersweet amusement. Goethe and Dante were obligatory as national poets, and both were..

… amusing… NOTHING MORE!

(cont)

The result of all of those books? What is really the result these "reading afficionados," these "literary lovers," these paper moth morons really want to pitch to you, with their Goodreads social media, with their commentary, be it their reviews on a site or their yapping in person (which is fucking annoying and nothing new)?

I'll tell you their telos: a vain, narcissistic, "I'M FUCKING INTERESTING, AND YOU BETTER AGREE!"

That's all reading any public book will ever get you. It was different when the minority of the population could read and write, and up until not too long ago in historical terms, that was the case: your average person didn't have a fucking clue how to read or write.

Philosophy? Well, let's just say one of the few worth reading – Nietzsche – went fucking nuts when he realized he wasted his life.

If you aren't a selfish fucking loser, if you really truly don't give a shit about what other people think about you, then you'll look at reading with only one possibility, and only one possibility: escaping into someone else's mind, into another world, because you fucking hate this one, for whatever reason, be it it's monotony, it's mediocrity, whatever.

You may say: "but sir, you write well, clearly a result of being a reading junkie!"

It's not a prize to write well. Just as it's not a prize to play piano well. Nobody will really give a fuck. Everyone looks at everything and sees it's a repeat in today's world. You've seen it all on the internet, or on youtube, it's all nothing new, someone's done it. Maybe that person playing piano amazingly was a lifetime first experience for you, a real rare sight, a hundred years ago when you went to some tavern in Paris and were emotionally flabbergasted, but today, there's an Asian 6 year old doing it on youtube, and anyone doing it in person is a second-rate hack in comparison.

Maybe Shakespeare was a trip in his day, in a world where everyone barely spoke, this person seemed like some genius. Today, everyone has such elevated language capacity, thanks to growing up with public education, a world of typing and talking and texting, that we've all seen great writing, we don't give a fuck anymore about some other dickwad's sentence structure, and if it's amusing for five seconds, we'll pick it apart, just like we pick apart that twat playing piano.

We don't even give a fuck anymore about that stupid slut with big tits and a nice ass, because she's not the chaste maiden of the past that "honourable men deserve", she's a stupid slut that a dozen or a hundred guys have cum on and in, and you run the other way knowing she's a cold frigid bitch incapable of love, which is why you're a virgin, not because you think you're ugly, but because you don't even want to make an effort for something that is about as special as Uncle Ben's fucking instant rice.

>It's just a lower form of a video game in reality.

MASTER BAIT

(cont)

In a world where everything is public and common, everything is lukewarm and boring.

Reading is probably "the final destination", or maybe the final distraction, for those of us sick of the world.

But it won't be salvation.

Houellebecq said: "a life spent reading wouldn't be wasted." He's coping for his misery by attempting to validate his escapism. The man has looked like a ghost for ages, and you can be assured that he's spent a long time not giving a fuck whether he wakes up tomorrow.

After you get past all this, you'll also ditch the "reading for self-improvement" meme, meaning anything non-fiction, anything that is philosophical, scientific, analytical, etc, and all you'll want are novels, because you realize that those other books are a false promise, and someone's bullshit story – if well-crafted enough – is the best hope to put a smile on your face.

At least for a few moments.

Just don't shoot up a school anytime soon OP.

>(cont)
Is this what a ruse master looks like? When will the mad man stop?

>Reading is a waste of time. He-

Ok. I shall not carry on reading anything you've written.

Wow. 4chad posters really are a special kind of fucking stupid.

>And here's the thing. I'm not actually against reading, I'm just saying you won't get anything out of it pragmatic or towards making your life more comfortable.

Wtf does opening books have to do with American power. Pretty sure that happened when a reality tv show moved into the white house, and that's televisions fault.

>It's an "OP decides that reading is a waste of time, considers this epiphany to be worth our time, and thus types it up for us to read" episode

See

Why are you telling us this then, if it is not pragmatic and will not make our lives more comfortable? Are you just bored?

I'm not even that convinced in "muh magical power of reading" myself, OP, but this is not very convincing.

All that's true. Until you read the Dice Man and start living the Dice Life. Fiction can inspire you to take control of your life.

I will say this, I liked the part about Uncle Ben's Fucking Rice.

>Are you just bored?
Yes. This is the literature board, after all.

/thread.

Music is a waste of time! Let me play you this album I did about it.

See

Even that is fucking stupid.

How? To hear out an argument against reading literature via text, one must read the argument... Does not negate the argument as the rule.

>let me waste your time reading about why reading is a waste of time
bravo

>you'll look at reading with only one possibility, and only one possibility: escaping into someone else's mind, into another world, because you fucking hate this one, for whatever reason, be it it's monotony, it's mediocrity, whatever
Not true, honestly. I read exactly because I think our present is super interesting and complex and I want to understand it better. Reading is useful to understand what surrounds you, this awful fucked up world