/uni/ - University General

How's your class work coming along?

How's your research/internship/part-time job going?

Any big job interviews or offers?

>University of Manchester
>1st year Electrical & Electronic Engineering
>Electronic materials module is difficult but otherwise the rest of the course is good so far

Also went to a physics lecture taught by Brian Cox, thought he was a bit overrated to be honest.

I'm a fucking brainlet that can't get my GPA over 3.0. Be honest. Am I fucked when I have to start job searching? How would employers react if I just didn't put my GPA on?

Started my first term of grad school. First midterm (CFD) is in a couple days and the asshole professor won't give us practice tests so we have no idea what the exam will be like. I'm probably going to fuck it up.

>5.5 years ago dropped out of school at 15
>5 years ago failed my GCSEs
>4 years ago working full time min wage
>2 years ago got straight a* a level grades but never had the confidence to apply anywhere but the local uni
>Yesterday applied for part 3 (masters) in physics at Cambridge with a 90 percent average in degree

If you are talking about employers in your area of study its important. But otherwise no one gives a shit and desu you should never put your gpa on a resume save in the form of honours or cum laude etc

are you me but from britain??

Yes

How did you turn from brainlet to chad? Spill your secrets

>be me
>go to top 10 uni in america
>have 3.5+ gpa
>studying statistics
>proficient in BI visual tools, R, C, and Java
>have two years of previous internship experience
>have interesting extracurriculars
>apply for over 20 internships
>most of them i dont get a response from
>have had 4 responses so far
>first 2 i take one interview and get rejected
>the third one i have two interviews and then get rejected
>4th one i hope almighty that I get in
>mfw they will schedule a new interview on Monday
>wish me luck please
>give me advice for more internships in case I dont get in
>also im a junior if that matters, and yes I've been contacting people in my "network" to see if they can hook me up and have sent cold emails to randoms which had some success but eventually i fail the interview

>If you are talking about employers in your area of study its important
In other words, I'm fucked. Should I switch to a non STEM major?

I know this feel.

Sounds like you either suck in interviews, or you're applying for internships outside your existing experience.

What exactly do you talk about in your interviews? Do you show any interest in the companies where you're applying? Do you demonstrate that you're interested in what you're studying? If you're focusing on the Computing side of Statistics, talk about some projects that you've done in the past.

>What exactly do you talk about in your interviews?

I talk about my previous internships, or otherwise they give me a test question about statistics and I answer it to the best of my ability. I often talk about how the internship can benefit me moreso than how I can benefit the company by them hiring me, so I think I will need to change this for any upcoming stuff. In fact, thinking about it now for the past 3 interviews I talk about how I will benefit from it rather than they benefiting from just hiring me. This I will change in the future.

>Do you show any interest in the companies where you're applying?

I've shown more interest for the positions than the companies per se. This fourth one I have a genuine interest in the company though and so I hope to let that shine during the interview.

>Do you demonstrate that you're interested in what you're studying? If you're focusing on the Computing side of Statistics, talk about some projects that you've done in the past

Mostly I talk about how data is going to revolutionize the world, and then I talk about a project I made in Kaggle

Honestly a lot of it was shit parents which led to depression when I was younger, and therefore failing/getting kicked out, BUT the most important thing I changed was genuinely beelieving in myself and thinking long term that change was possible, which kept me motivated and working hard

e.g. I knew getting good a level grades was pointless since uni applications were fucked due to GCSEs/getting kicked out of school, but I wanted to get then anyway. Even if I failed it wouldn't have been a waste of time, since I made progress and could keep on improving.

Shit parents, lack of effort or just general stress?

Well done anyway

Lack of effort and delusion.

I have full-on dyscalculia, but for a longass time I wanted to be a physicist. Despite neglecting it I was in the gifted program for English. Basically flunked most of my courses in HS.

Went to college, got A*AA, applying for Law at Baliol.

Literally started and finished my English lit/lang coursework with 3 days to spare too.

Ahhh good luck with your application, thought you were near finishing/finished your first degree.

Thanks man, same to you.

Well it's done now, Next time ensure you start it earlier, or you're just setting yourself up for failure though

Yeah, still talk about how you would be excited for the position, but put the focus more on bringing a fresh perspective to the table or something to that effect. Also, KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. If you're speaking with HR, they'll eat that shit right up. If you're speaking with a senior statistician, he may not give a shit about how data is going to change the world.

I would also advise more independent project experience. Just pick something, set a goal, and do it. Then you will have more to talk about that shows you are highly motivated and likely to succeed.

>More interest in the positions than the companies
Try not to mention this in the interview. At least show that you might have some idea of what a statistics intern might be doing at that company. For example, a statistician working at Walmart might be analyzing customer habits and preferences based on something like purchases and metadata surrounding those purchases. Indicate that statistics surrounding that topic could be interesting.

I know some of you cornhuskers are in here. 3rd year EE here doing good in classes and applying for summer research

Yea I know this feeling

>3rd year optics undergrad
>suffering like a bitch in Electrical Networks and Systems
>pounding pussy in Photonics 101 and Geometric Optics and Linear Algebra
>if I flunk EENS I'm set back another semester
>tfw already graduating 6 months later than I should
>tfw will have 0 senior design partners and will likely have to do it on my own
At least I don't have a job. As much as I bitch about it, I could NOT handle a job right now. I don't know how other people do it.

Thanks for answering dude, I will try to bring your advice to the table.

>>How's your class work coming along?
graduated
>>How's your research/internship/part-time job going?
fired from a research group for being too autistic and showing the research they were doing was a sham
>>Any big job interviews or offers?
no

Molecular bio major

>How is class work coming along
Pretty good, stressed as hell though becuase I have to maintain a 3.85 GPA every semester to keep my merit scholarship.

>How is research/internship/job
Haha I’m a dumb freshman, just partying and doing stupid shit

>CS final year student
>doing group project with some friends
>slowly coming to the realisation that this was a big mistake and I should have done an individual research project
Things are much easier when I just have to rely on myself, I hate having to rely on others, just causes problems when they're fucking lazy.

Hey Husker man. I attend one of the Nebraska state colleges. Might do my Master's at Lincoln once I'm done here.
You going to NAS next semester?

Your uni has an optics major? At mine it is just part of EE or physics. Similar situation tho, EE systems class eating my ass but EM theory and optics classes are cake

> maths and stats
> want to do data science and sheeet
> rejected every fucking time
REEEEE

Nah I have no idea what that is bud

I'm 3 semesters into community college with a 4.0 and I've finished up to calc 3 and taken a few physics classes. Do you guys think this is enough to get into cockrell's engineering program at UT? I know they're insanely selective and was wondering if it'd be better to try an get extra curriculars before applying.

Yeah m8, UCF is actually pretty good for the whole Florida college meme

So wait u did finish ur bachelors before doing grad school right?

Has anyone here successfully recovered from a shit situation and transcript?

Creighton sophomore

I'm failing

>graduated in June
>degree in aeronautical
>started first job this summer
>tfw job is amazing
>look forward to going to work every day

Veeky Forums... I...

Finishing CompE. I don't want to work yet. I've always hated the idea of working, I don't know why the fuck picked engineering.

In the UK you do bachelor's, masters then grad schoo (usually PhD)l. A lot of the time bachelor's and master's are done together on a 4 year long course, although alternatively you can do a 3 year course and masters somewhere else

hardest ivy to graduate from. i feel ur pain user fuk prelims

1.5 years into ME at pic related. I’m still not even 100% sure it’s the branch I want to go into. Any minors pair well with mechanical?

Hello brothers. Yup, prelims are indeed aids. I'm not failing though it's not THAT bad.

I'm like 10 lectures behind. Its gonna take me at least 40 hrs to get through this shit! But I got this!

It must be cool to study in such cool universities

t. 3rd world

ED'ed here what am I in for?

I'm assuming you're going for engineering? A lot of work. Also curves are kinda brutal for your introductory classes. Be sure to do better than half the class or more.

First year linguistics major here, but I'll probably be double majoring in CS or majoring in CS with a minor in linguistics.
Courses are very easy but it's all intro stuff and I haven't begun the programming and math courses
No job offers or internships so far but that's to be expected. I might try to intern at the language lab at the NSA.

Also, I want to work in natural language processing.

Depends so much on what you're studying but loads of work, low mean grades, competitive environment, beautiful campus, cold winters, a lot of sjw stuff, self doubt, a lot of hills.

>Brian Cox
his voice is jokes

another UCFfag i see, go knights b o y s

>biotech masters student, first year
>still trying to figure out my project
>seriously considering getting my PhD

Don't put your GPA on your resume. No gives a shit unless they specifically ask for it.

Holy shit so there IS someone on here from UCF who browses Veeky Forums. For such a big university I swear I was the only one using this board for years.

yeah there was some other knightfag in another uni thread a couple months ago, i think he was EE or mechanical or something

taking real analysis and group theory this semester; love group theory, analysis is hard but i've been getting through it alright.

applying for co-op for next semester, mostly data analysis related positions, have had about 4 interviews so far. hopefully i get hired soon!

I'm a mess.
I decided that before university I should take a gap year, and so I did. During this year I partied did drugs and never did I even try to use my brain for problem solving. Now I think I'm all rusty. I got accepted in a uni in Slovenia for CS, great, I love technology. But I had some problems with my visa and arrived here a month late. I missed a whole month of uni and haven't done analysis algebra and stuff like that in a very long time. Now that I'm here it all looks so overwhelming and so god damn hard. I feel like such a dubass and can't find the motivation to get back on track. I've forgotten how to study even. Help :c

I need to add that I've done legitimate IQ tests and I have an IQ of 136, which is fairly above average... well it was. I feel so dumb now.

get back on track? just do it, grab a book and start.

>btw my IQ is 132921 lol
irrelevant

I'm trying, but I'm too slow. It takes me time to grasp stuff. I have to like read the same thing 10 times to get it.

Do you have any tips?

HOW DOES ONE STOP PROCRASTINATING

this

mathematics is hard. CS theory is too. you need to read things over 100 times, and you need to struggle with the exercises for a while until you start getting them. persevere. don't feel bad about taking time to move forward, it means you're actually learning something.

don't back off from the challenge, but don't overexert yourself either. work some hours each day, get tired, and then rest.

good luck user!

What programming languages do you know? And who's rejecting you?

>go to mid/low tier liberal arts school
>saved by secretly well-funded, research oriented chem program
>work my ass off, graduate early with a BA in chem
>work for pocket and gasoline money
>spending my 22nd year of life doing nothing of value now
>just got offered a job in the defense community
>interviewing for a job at an R1 uni this week

Nothing is set in stone yet so I'm applying to chem PhD programs for next year. We'll see what happens. It could have all gone much worse and am happy, healthy, and independent for now.

Mostly C++ and python, but also some R and Java from uni labs.
> And who's rejecting you?
Those who pick whom to take for the internship.

Also maybe you have an interesting idea about hadoop project for my cv?

Got my linear algebra exam today. It's my final exam for this semester and I'm excited to be on holidays.

How do I get experience as a freshman mech eng student? Every place seems to be looking for juniors and seniors

Make a list of activities to do every day. Then do those activities EVERY day.

I'm not talking about school activities but easy aspirational goals. For example, I do 50 pushups, journal 1 page minimum, and go for a walk EVERY day. All these tasks are easy and make me a bit healthier. By doing them daily I maintain focus and reinforce some discipline.

With those habits in place, I find it easier to push myself to work, and to take breaks from work without going on the internet.

Geology major here

sometimes i forget everything and im like

what am i supposed to be looking at here this is just rocks

i think it just takes some getting used to but the learning curve is steeper than expected tbqh

UCF CompE first year reporting.

minors are useless

Math major here and getting intimidated by proofs and analysis. I've done very well on my other midterms but analysis is too tricky for me. Considering doing the brainlet move and going into Applied Math and Statistics instead.

well GRFP applications went in a couple weeks ago so that nightmare is over

i'm meant to give an hour-long talk on my lab's current research at a brown-bag lunch tomorrow. not really looking forward to that.
We have an abstract submission due on Wednesday. That's a piece of cake.
We have several full paper submissions due between now and the end of January and not much to write about.

Oh, and I'm out of funds in SU18. I should have just taken a terminal masters and an industry job.

What kind of job?

I'm doing like shit on physics but otherwise I'm okay. Average grades but it's better than nothing. Wish I knew of a place other than Stack Exchange to ask for help.

What if I want to get my masters in a slightly different subject? I basically need the minor to get the coursework.

>Considering doing the brainlet move and going into Applied Math and Statistics instead.

If you honestly believe Pure Maths will get you any job opportunities, you're dead wrong. Learn to program, and take your Math and Stats knowledge in that direction.

Vicious

>”this is just rocks”
>geology major

I laughed myself into the next room

>wing the GRE
>want to apply to math PhD programs
>95th percentile in reading and 6/6 in writing and a 70th percentile in math

JUST

lmaoing at your life

praying my math gre subject test has a good score or I'm changing my major to philosophy

Interesting read. I put studying off until the last couple of days prior to my GCSE exams, ended up getting straight C's because I crammed in a bunch of shit which I should've been studying at the start of the year and not 3 days before my exams. I ended up picking Product Design, English and Business for my a-levels, all 3 subjects of which I had no interest in. I even remember begging the headteacher to let me choose Science as one of my a-levels, I told him that i'd put in all my effort and turn things around but he still rejected the proposal, left me feeling like complete shit and I ended up dropping out without even finishing them. Now i'm not sure what the fuck to do, I know that I want to study Science, i've looked at doing an access course with Stonebridge because all my local colleges have started their courses in September and I missed that train already. A-levels cost a shit ton to retake and at this point it's either look for a job or do an access course, the latter is the route i'm looking at atm because I want to further my education and not be a wagecuck so early on in my life.

>"3.5+"

>tfw the only other user that goes to my university that I know of browses Veeky Forums
>tfw i accidentally outed myself so he knows who i am
kill me

>tfw ucf Veeky Forumsfag for a while
>tfw only saw one other on the university threads

I need help. Can someone give me tips for studying math, specifically linear algebra. The proofs and concept in general are killing me.

watch the entire 3blue1brown series on linear algebra, and before you attempt any proof, always try to think of the theorem geometrically and how you would solve it

Thanks for the adv

just walked out of an exam that I'm pretty sure I failed

how will I ever make peace with the fact that I'll never be more than what I am now

I was considering maybe masters or PhD for pure maths since I find some of the topics interesting. But I have Applied Math and Statistics as a double major for actual jobs prospects should I need that.

I personally found it good to go through all the examples in the text and understand them to a point where I could do the proof myself and understand why im doing each step in the proof.

How come manchester scores so poorly nationally but so well internationally?

Anybody at exeter here?

Currently going for my gen Ed at a community college, should I even go into engineering if I'm not good at science? I'm decent at math but not at science.
Also how's the networking field? That was my goal during highschool but I'm not sure if there's a job Market for it

>Auburn University
>Sophomore Software Engineer with mathematic minor
>failing Physics two because we have to take it before we can take the math required for it
>Other than that its smooth sailing

Also, have a possible paid internship at Southern Company(big power company here) this summer so am excite.

Im trying to imagine how suicidally hopeless you have to be to start a thread like this. Im smiling while holding back a laugh thinking about your pathetic disposition.