How do you think we can get to Proxima b?

Soo.. the other day I read that the Alpha Centauri system might have several exoplanets apart from Proxima b.. so I looked for info about the Starshot project and found out that the team launched in July a 3.5 x 3.5cm satellite weighing 4 grams.. this encourages me to believe that the project can actually be achievable.. what do you guys think? do you think that a faster interstellar travel system will be developed even sooner?

I decided to make a video on this exciting topic and I would like to share it with you guys: youtu.be/jF2juqeDa-E

I honestly can't wait 44 years for receiving the first images of Proxima b, I would be 70 years old. There must be another way of getting there sooner.

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/pdf/1608.05284v2.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Big telescope on the moon or nukes. Lots of nukes.

whats wrong with earth?

A human in a spacecraft traveling to Proxima b at a constant acceleration of 1 Earth gravity (half accelerating, half decelerating) would experience an on-board travel time of less than 10 years, because of relativistic effects.
A human on Earth tracking the same spacecraft would observe the trip taking a much longer time, many more years.
If the human who traveled to Proxima b returned to Earth in the same fashion, he would return to the Earth's future, while he would have aged only 20 years.
This isn't science fiction. It's how the common, everyday universe works.

we won't, our machines will.

We would probably find an exoplanet in our own system before finding it worthwhile to go to another system.

an exoplanet is, by definition, not in our own system. "an exoplanet in our own system" is a misnomer.

I was actually trying to refer to planets beyond Pluto, like Planet 9.

You can download Plan 9 and try it out right here on Earth.

Nobody was asking for a relativity lecture Einstein. Im happy you are able to spout quotes from pop-sci shows youve watched but the big boys are discussing how to get to alpha centuri sooner.

>hurr just accelerate senpai
i wish einstein shills would just drop dead

Proxima b is 266,877 au we currently only dream of reaching 1000 au it would take almost 15000 years the probe would have to last that long as well as the embryo colonist

t. pretentious retard

You won't find that on any pop-sci show, Tardboy

>when a brainlet pretends to be smart
You can't accelerate to high percentages of lightspeed, because at high speeds, space dust and rocks start hitting with the force of nukes
go faster than 10-15% of lightspeed, and your ship will get blasted to pieces long before you reach your destination

Are you kidding me? Relativity explanations are the easiest way to blow brainlet minds. If you really want me to prove you wrong i bet i can cite at least three pop-sci shows that bring up the twin paradox. Just off the top of my head it would probably be Neil “smokes” Degrass Tyson, Micho Cuckoo, and that weird british guy who kinda looks like Dimitri Martin. Im only going to look it up if you ask me to, because it will be all the more humiliating for you and i dont exactly feel like wasting my time on it.

>we can get to Proxima b
What do you mean by "we", Peasant?

>whats wrong with seven billion retards on teh earth?
...and you're one of 'em.

Just admit you're an ass. :^)

It's not the twin paradox. It's an approximation of the actual on-board time someone would experience at a measured acceleration to the distance of Proxima b. It has a direct bearing on the practicality of traveling there. Only an idiot could miss that.

arxiv.org/pdf/1608.05284v2.pdf

Not even that same guy. It is exactly the twin paradox.

Isn't this the coolest thing on Earth? Pictures of a planet in the Proxima Centauri stat system. But instead they want to fight some war in the Middle East killing people with that money? FFS

we should first convince everyone that we're even living on a planet. better cameras that can reach further distances. stationary cameras on the moon. deep sea exploration and all of that. we need to clean house first.

did he say a single word in english?

Space industry is a prerequisite to any of that, and colonization of low earth orbit, and closer opportunities to figure out how to live in space for duration without succumbing to any number of the problems inherent in a decade long trek there.

>Starshot project

I thought they already established a laser couldn't maintain a useful focus for propulsion over interstellar distances...?

Medusa style Nuclear Pulse Propulsion
And a bigass fuel fraction

>hurr I can't speak english & I am fund raising for some scam
thx for the youtube

The Twin Paradox doesn't involve specific measurements of acceleration, time, or distance to a specific place in the topic of this specific thread. And you're as dumb as the other guy.

I think the first step is to get a much larger telescope into orbit. The hubble was great, and im sure JWST will be great also, but when spacex's new rocket starts flying, we'll suddenly be able to put a 9 meter monolithic mirror in orbit.

Design a folding mirror like the JWST with 9m segments, and we'll have a truly giant space telescope, on par with larger ones on earth.

The SLS' diameter is 8.4 meters, so it could reasonably launch an 8 meter folding mirror array telescope as well.

Imagine the photo's we'll get then

Being interplanetary is the only almost absolute guarantee of securing the longevity of our species from unseen natural disasters, impact events and the such-like, even nuclear war.
That's why space travel is so important.
It gives us options.

>put a laser on an interstellar spacecraft to power the original probe
>put a laser behind that one
>put another laser behind that one
>etc. etc.

>gram scale spacecraft
that can probably survive, because it's so small the odds of something smacking into it are near zero

a colossal vessel sustaining a few hundred thousand would-be colonists for a century is a considerably larger target for a bad day

you don't need it to
just get enough acceleration to get it up to speed before it falls out of range

>start asteroid/moon mining
>make a telescope with several multi-kilometer wide mirrors
ERE WE GO

Make sure it exists first before blowing money on a mission. There's only moderate evidence. Need way more radial velocities to solidly confirm.

>Blowing money on a mission
They plan to blast these and absolutely every star system in sight
the cost is in the fuckhuge laser accelerator arrays they need, the probes themselves probably cost a dollar or less

It's basically the twin paradox. Instead of delta functions for acceleration, it's a constant steady acceleration, but same principle.