If people like Faulkner and Joyce wrote today...

If people like Faulkner and Joyce wrote today, would they be disregarded for "convoluted prose" and "intellectual masturbation"?

there can't be people like faulkner and joyce anymore

his hands are creepy and gross

They wouldn't even get published.

Heck, Joyce only really got published in his own time because of his connections.

ur creepy and gross

wrt Joyce I mean yeah you're absolutely right, but people published screeds of work on a daily basis far more experimental than Faulkner and still get published and win awards etc.

i want to kiss his bony knuckles until i fall asleep

i mean, not quite. he got dubliners published without any help, though it was arduous and almost didn't happen a few times. i think he would have found publishing success eventually either way. that ordeal would have panned out much differently in 2k17 however

Can we really ask this question considering we live in a post-Joyce world? Is the world you're describing one that had no Joyce at all until he attempted to publish until the 21st century? Seems like that world would have a very different literary world and so we can't comment on this hypothetically unfarted landscape.

Never seen this pic before

Because it's creepy and gross

this is now a pictures of joyce thread

No. He was creepy and gross.

You know it brother.

Well, Joyce was (partly) seen as convoluted and masturbatory back in his day.

There is such a thing as writing that is too thick and convoluted, but it just seems like so many people will say it about any writing which uses anything more complex than monosyllables and simple declaratory sentences.

>Read Faulkner at college.
>WTF is this shit, did he write all this while drunk or something?
>He actually did.
>Next book is Portrait of an Artist.
>Get hype
>Start reading
>It's actually pseudointellectual "book smart" fuckery.
>Lose all respect for him as a writer until I read his sexual letters

Looks as if Lovecraft had a baby with Hitler.

>Portrait of an Artist
let's not pretend like we read things that we clearly didn't

I bought 2 of them second hand for 2$. To this day I still regret that deal.

yes
you can only write highschool level prose these days
It's called "sparse" or "precise" or something like that
and no playing with your words user! that's just bad.

you bought two copies of the masterwork painting "Portrait of an Artist" by gerard van honthorst, renowned dutch golden age painter, for $2? what an incredible deal

buying a book doesn't mean you read it, or apparently even read the fucking title, you eternal oaf

What's the matter, user, does it trigger you that I refuse to type the full name of your shitty overrated book? Portrait of an Artist is shit. Portrait of an.
Portrait of.
Portrait.
PoaAaaYM

that's one ugly trap

"Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man" is not the title of the book, friend :)

A Portrait of the Tripfag as a Young user.

Dubliners is his "less experimental" work.

youre not getting away with that one

I get really hung up on this when I'm writing, worry that I sound too pretentious if I'm not writing Steven King tier prose

so maybe ulysses and portrait only got published because of his connections, but joyce himself could write in such a way that he could be published without connections. we might not have had his more experimental stuff but joyce still would have been getting published.