How do we stop the rise of "Pop-Math"?

How do we stop the rise of "Pop-Math"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aIggWlKr41w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's wrong with pop math ?

omae wa mo shindeiru

I like numberphile. What's not to like?

Some of us have spent years coming to grips with high level problems and theorems and shit like numberphile and matt parker go around and tell people "oh, its just this simple"

fuck these people, they only hurt actual math.

cry me a river faggot

People are starting to like what I like!!!!

Maybe you're just retarded user?

fuck off to reddit holy shit

>underage

is there a more reddit phrase?

If you think you have it bad with pop bastardizations of your field try being a programmer.

tfw successful advertisement thread

>If you think you have it bad with pop bastardizations of your field try being a NEET.
ftfy

imagine if we were actually able to someday convince kids that math is fun? I say there should be more pop-math

that insult doesn't even make sense, consider suicide

People are bastardizing your field of not having a field? I don't get it. Or are you saying you don't believe people can work as software developers and are therefore really NEETs?

I mean that nobody understands the NEET struggles...

Going to go cry. Please be patient I have autism

...A-a-actually I'm not even a NEET I'm just LARPing

Please forgive me s-s-senpai

>tfw I thought I would be special for finding one of these signs

There's no need to stop it.
The single biggest problem with mathematics right now is the fact that a sizable majority of people respond with revulsion to the field. I'm sure anyone here that's in math has heard something int he vein of "I could never do that, I hate math" every time they reveal their field of study.
Math, more than any other subject, has this ridiculous bias surrounding it. All it takes is one bad teacher along the way to turn a person off of numbers completely, and this only hurts our field. We should be promoting peoples' interest in all sorts of mathematics, not standing by while people close their minds to it after a bad streak in Pre-Algebra.

I don't care for Numberphile and I doubly don't care for the shit they talk about, but I consider it a true blessing that people who ordinarily wouldn't give a 2nd thought to a mathematical principle are even considering something like a -1/12 meme. Someone who opens their eyes to a new facet of math via "pop-math" isn't our enemy. They're our friend, and we have a unique opportunity to introduce them to "real" math and science through the piquing of their interest.

So fuck you, OP. We should be encouraging the rise.

Exactly 100%

OP is just feeling insecure that his field is being appropriated by normies who aren't into it as hardcore as he is, but that doesn't matter because this isn't personal to begin with

It's not about reputation or prestige or anything, it's about making society more open to mathematics and scientific thought even if some normie idiots think they're smart all of a sudden for watching some Numberphile videos. Who cares? Maybe it will make them appreciate the field more and stop being negative about it

Whatever

I think math is THE topic. The only topic, the topic that makes all other topics obsolete, because they all, in their most advanced forms, basically revert into mathematical descriptions of their mechanisms. Math is everything, the sooner we can help the world realize this the better

>turn a person off of numbers
>numbers
>mathematics

don't be a faggot, mathematics generalizes the study of numbers, categorizations, and measurements, and whenever anyone asks for a concrete example of your mathematics you need to make some real world measurement, categorization, or numbering. Only virgins study math without ever learning a concrete example of what they study.

That's the thing I've come to realize in college as I begin to dive into big boy math. Man I thought I was hot shit in high school when I was in AP Calc but honestly, anyone can do this shit. I've been lucky to have some great teachers along the way. Anything that can get people interested in the field and thinking "wait a minute, I can do this!" is a good thing.

The butthurt is real

>concrete example of what they study
But I don't study number theory.

Why wouldn't you like more people to get into mathematics? It's not like they're specifically coming to Veeky Forums.

>numbers are only used in number theory
>being this autistic

We don't

pop math is extremely beneficial to young audiences. In the same way star trek inspired lots of modern engineers/physicists, places like Numberphile can do the same for kids/teens nowadays.

And anyways, if math reaches the general audience in the same was tesla and other space/physics related things have, as a real mathematician, you can only benefit. Increased funding, job opportunities, respect. A many host of things come with fame.

Something tells me you're not a mathematician though.

I know! They're spoiling our secret club!

I don't study the theory of numbers though, so numbers aren't a concrete example of what I study.

can we kill ppl who hate on popmath and popsci instead?

OP eternally btfo when he realized the only thing that made him a little better than others by his own standards, created to make him comfortable about being unable to fit in, actually means nothing and he is as worthless as when his highschool crush made fun of him.

You piece of trash. If you have taken years to finally come up with a theoretical idea (which you most certainly haven't) you would LOVE for it to be learned and spread by others. It's literally how one becomes well known and possibly makes money off of it.

Also, "difficult" and time consuming ideas should eventually be broken down as easily as possible.
a^2 + b^2 = c^2 was revolutionary a couple thousand years ago, and today we literally teach it to elementary school children.

>fuck these people, they only hurt actual math.
no., they produce an interest in mathematical concepts, which would then be explored by those so inclined to.
As for the retards who think they know everything abut that theorem, you get to troll them/ correct them.

Its a win-win situation user. =)

>its this fag again
>the one from the cody's labs thread

the same thing as with CS, it will turn math into a bubble filled with non competent normies who think they're the next einsteins
but IMO this is inevitable and will happend to all STEM jobs sooner or later

Pop-math isn't bad, it raises awareness and interest in mathematics which you should enjoy seeing if you actually love math. Yes people who only watch pop-math videos on youtube won't know much, it's not a big deal.

>As for the retards who think they know everything abut that theorem, you get to troll them/ correct them.
This. It can be pretty fun.

Yes, but we don't actually teach kids why a^2+b^2=c^2 is true. Just teaching them how to plug and chug is hardly the same as actually teaching them the proof behind it.

Numberphile is the Bill Nye of today like it or nay

>hate pop-sci
>don't have any problem with popmath
why, Veeky Forums?

They try explain mathematics concepts to those who aren't experienced with it yet.
If it's too simple for you then don't watch it.

If someone on Veeky Forums doesn't like numberphile, it's probably because of a particular professor on their show. There's tons of people who have contributed to the channel, and many of them are very intelligent mathematicians who have a lot to say about the subjects they work in. If you have a fundamental problem with that, you don't belong on Veeky Forums.

That being said, I find it very hard to take banana man (James Grime) seriously.

start your own "Mom-Math" channel

>m-muh sekret club

If you have a problem with content creators trying to bring advanced mathematics to the masses then you're retarded.

this they not only really milked the series on this, but they intentionally lied to their viewers in an attempt to mystify the result and make themselves look like wizards. The single good thing about pop-sci and pop-math is that it gets more people interested in the field and respect it. If you look at their comments section, all they did was make mathematicians look like artists playing their own insignificant game. They basically reduced mathematicians to philosophers.

Obligatory

>using youtube

kek

> anyone can do AP Calc

LMAO my own mother only passed pre-algebra after 10 tries at 6 different colleges.

We're talking about humans, not women.

Fuck no you faglord
> advocating for shit unrigorous popmath
If anything we should try to reduce the popularity of mathematics in the general public to stop people who are not willing to build up their knowledge from the axioms proving everything along the way from polluting discussions of topics they know nothing about

Theres literally 0 engineering or physics in star trek . i would even saw theres negative physics since it portrays things which are wrong .
Saying it inspires engineers or physicists is like saying that fucking bible story with the dude that parts the sea inspired engineers and physicists

>seeing a communicator drove steve jobs to create iphone

N*gger please. The only thing Star Trek inspired was drunken cosplay hook-ups and crappy conventions in Las Vegas.

That's like saying everyone who enjoys Namasensei's Fucking Japanese Lessons is going to destroy the fabric of the Japanese language because they didn't spend 15 years learning hiragana.

You really have a lot to learn, and sound like someone who just barely scraped by Calc1.

The black frenchie? Nice. Kill him

They let ‘em into colleges now, so I don’t know what to tell you bud.

>15 years of hiragana

I’m pretty sure people with legitimate learning disabilities don’t take that long to learn them

>namasensei
Fuck, the nostalgia.

Best numberphile coming through.

What is it that differentiates mathematicians from philosophers in your mind, and why should anyone care ? From an outside observer's pov, there's really not much of a difference. They don't wear labcoats, they don't make any (physical) experiments, they (aside from maybe the math modeling and mathematical finance crowd) don't contribute to society in any perceivable way (maybe even less than philosophers).
I love mathematics and all, but if you just take a little distance, it does seem like people "playing their own insignificant game".

>I-I d-d-on't un-understand nu-numbafile!
>m-muh p-pop m-maf!
>m-muh rrreddddiiitttt
brainlet detected

>faggot undergrad shitting on one of the best Mathematics interview shows out there
can't say I'm shocked

I really like Numberphile. I can personally attest that watching those videos encouraged me to get a minor in math, which I feel really helped me landing a job.

Who's the worst? The curly-haired one with the creepy enthusiasm, the sweatlord, or someone else (like the Klein fetishist)?

i's say it's the klein bottle reddit man

>don't contribute to society in any perceivable way
really? you're trying to say mathematics is useless to try to bring up philosophers' worth? be retarded if you want to I guess.

hm dont remember the curly haired one
but i like the japanese one

He's so unbelievably annoying.

The only way I could see pop-math harming anything in any way is if it becomes like pop-psychology or pop-medicine, that is to say, people taking very broad concepts, making them extremely simple by removing important factors, and then applying them to their normie life in some way.

But I think something is fundamentally different about mathematics that would prevent this.
I don't see how some stupid teenager could take "1+2+3... = -1/12" and fuck up as bad as some other teenager who decides they're bipolar and excuses themselves from adult responsibilities

zozzled

yeah. him and the klein one absolutely...
who's the creepy enthusiastic one then?
I watched some channel computerphile and I think that guy was on numberphile as well... he probably takes the price though

>a thread full of NEETS who are afraid of brainlets catching up on their 'knowledge' by watching some 3 minute videos

Grueling secret club entry exams.

>who's the creepy enthusiastic one then?
Same guy.
youtube.com/watch?v=aIggWlKr41w

ah my reading comprehension...
the sweaty one i don't know then

I have no problem with pop math when done by real mathematicians. They aren't the breed likely to give you a false sense of understanding, usually upfront about where things are being left out. It's even good practice for having only partial knowledge outside your field of expertise. eg "elliptic tales" was p decent.

i spent far too long chuckling at these

>You piece of trash. If you have taken years to finally come up with a theoretical idea (which you most certainly haven't) you would LOVE for it to be learned and spread by others. It's literally how one becomes well known and possibly makes money off of it.

Hmm. Disagree.

same

Why does it have the word “phile” in it as if it’s like trying to be the new “Pedophile”, “edephile”, “hebephile”?

Suffixes with the common part -phil- (-phile, -philia, -phily, -philic) are used to specify some kind of attraction or affinity to something.

I'd like to see you engage an audience of around 300,000 people on youtube explaining your "high level problems and theorems that took you years to come to grips with".

Their audience is teenagers and young adults, they want interesting kinda easy to follow topics to introduce young people to mathematical concepts and encourage them to follow it further, not make stupidly complicated videos on theorems that would take them 300 hours to teach.

>he doesnt know what the -phile suffix means
holy fucking shit you are a brainlet

fixted

>first you hit them with the 5 finger jab
>then you come in with the klein bottle hook

Don't ever have children.

lmao how humiliating it must be to get actually get cucked by some online math spergs

I guess klein bottle man, his ~1000 klein bottle basement is pretty bonkers.

It doesn't matter if the actual physics is wrong, it's that young people think 'this might be possible one day with physics', and it is! We're sending people into space, maybe one day even further.

And you think there's no engineering involved in star trek? Do you even know what engineering is? Anything built, some subset of engineering was involved. It's like you don't even know the basic branches of engineering? Mechanical, electrical, you can't think of a single way these could be applied to make a rocket(spaceship) work? It baffles me that you chose to reply to me with such a pathetic argument.

Also, as a closing side note - I work in STEM. I don't personally watch star trek - heck, I barely even know the plot, but many of my colleagues and contacts do, and there certainly is a subset of them who have openly said that it inspired them to get into STEM.

tl;dr - your analogy is retarded, you are too and you should feel ashamed that your method of thinking is so weak.

>that correction

kek

>It baffles me that you chose to reply to me with such a pathetic argument.
Nerd.

fake and underage

>almost ten years ago
goddammit