How come this is the wrong way to see the world?

How come this is the wrong way to see the world?

Bump

The correct answer is the top right by the way, which I dont quite understand why

How do you know it's the right one then?

top right?
this test is retarded, bottom middle would be perfectly acceptable too

It's basic addition and subtraction. Consider representing (1,1) as 0, and let 1, 2, and 3 represent (2,1), (2,2), and (2,3), respectively. Use -1, -2, and -3 to represent the images of 1, 2, and 3 over the horizontal. Then the matrix becomes

0 -1 -1
1 2 3
-1 -3 ?

From this, it's clear that the first element in each column is the sum of the other two, so the missing element must be -2, or the top right.

You can also do subtraction down the columns. Using (row,column), (1,1) - (2,1) = (3,1) and (3,1) + (2,1) = (1,1). So subtracting little boxes from the big should still leave big boxes. Shouldn't the bottom middle also be an acceptable solution?

As an addendum, the problem y'all are having is you're looking too closely at the configuration. To solve this you need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Rather than doing math on the boxes, you should be considering the images as symbols independent of their content.

But -1+3=2

Holy shit I'm retarded

The circled answer is obviously correct, if you were told otherwise it was likely just a coding error.

The missing element should be -4?

Why should bottom middle work?

Bump

It isn't addition of the rows, because the correct answer isn't available. If you do subtraction down the columns, you get top right

if you use subtraction then the correct block isnt available because there is no precedent for what you do when you have more than two large bars in a group?

bottom left, it carries over.

>why should bottom middle work?

Top/bottom orientation is equal to the orientation of smaller term. We add the boxes as we go across or down based on position, i.e. 1st to 1st, 2nd to 2nd etc.

Small box + small box = big box
small box + big box = big box

Thus the answer would be bottom middle

>cont

sorry, just woke up. when we sum two boxes, the top/bottom orientation is the same as the orientation of the smaller term in that sum, is what I meant in the first part

what I wrote works across rows and down columns btw

>tfw got it right
makes sense because top row is row 3 - row 2
Anyway I hate IQ tests due to their arithmetic nature, I can only enjoy geometric problems tbqh.
If you don't have god tier spatial vision you are essentially a woman.

alternatively you can see "squares below line" as negative numbers too. It's always the same shit, this is why you don't want to be tested by a brainlet he will put easy crap like that inadvertedly because he's incapable of thinking beyond that.

that doesn't work for this one. look at the third column. That would be -2 for first cell, 8 for second cell ( assuming big box = 3, as it would based on column 2 ) and -6 for the third cell. Adding from bottom up ( as you need to in order for the first two columns to work) you get 2 not -2.

You can subtract row 2 from row 3 and ignore sign, but that's a shitty answer imho

for this one I'm starting to think we have two correct answers

add boxes based on position with a top value of 2, orientation alternates based on row (bottom middle)

subtract second row from third where big box = 3, orientation alternates based on row
(top right)

Yeah, I was looking at it wrong. I dunno man

then nevermind the hypothesis of "below line = negative" substraction rule still works tho, and since there's no suitable result (or any for that matter) with squares above the line we must conclude top right is the correct one.

top right or bottom middle, either are acceptable.