New Boston Dynamics bot, and it's a qt

New Boston Dynamics bot, and it's a qt

youtube.com/watch?v=kgaO45SyaO4

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2015/12/29/10682746/boston-dynamics-big-dog-ls3-marines-development-shelved
youtube.com/watch?v=vQb23iORdaU
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1510614307757.webm
cnbc.com/2016/11/16/dominos-has-delivered-the-worlds-first-ever-pizza-by-drone-to-a-new-zealand-couple.html
youtube.com/watch?v=bfJUciAxxyo
disneyresearch.com/
disneyresearch.com/publication/
disneyresearch.com/innovations/wireless-power-room/
disneyresearch.com/publication/high-performance-robotic-muscles/
youtube.com/watch?v=IlBP_ni7ggY
youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I
youtube.com/watch?v=rnTyzwpz4JI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's first dog unit i know of with any sort of design..
Cute

I think they're trying to move towards something they can actually sell

not sell, but to secure funding. Google dropped them because they didn't want to be associated with a killer robot company

I can't even imagine how much that will cost

It doesn't even do anything

Heck! I want to pet this good boye!

If it falls on its back it's fucked

Well think of the same thing with an RPG and a SMG on the back. Surprise!

They have one with an arm attachment that does the dishes and throws away garbage.

>It doesn't even do anything

The high price right now is a problem but there are a lot of uses for the technology.

First: Search and rescue. dogbots could easily carry a disabled person through rough terrain
Second: Pack mule that can travel pretty much anyplace.
Third: Imagine a wheelchair with that thing for its base. They could go up stairs and shit. Imagine in 20 years, all the old people in porky spider bots going up stairs and climbing around the rafters, spooking you

Jimmy Neutron haircut arms when?

Not one of that size.

How long until this guy can have working legs again? He won't depend on accessible buildings, won't nee to be afraid of stairs no more

All they need to do is combine dogbot walking tech with the power legs they have already

why would you need four legs to do the dishes? AI isn't good enough to do dishes.
>> Search and rescue. dogbots could easily carry a disabled person through rough terrain
and how does it pick up a disabled person?
>>Pack mule that can travel pretty much anyplace.
the marines tried doing that with a previous model, it didn't work out.
theverge.com/2015/12/29/10682746/boston-dynamics-big-dog-ls3-marines-development-shelved
>> Imagine a wheelchair with that thing for its base. They could go up stairs and shit.
do people in wheelchairs really want to do this? According to my robotics prof, this is a problem that doesn't matter in the real world. It's good for getting publications out, but that's about it. There are over 9000 different ways to make wheelchairs capable of going up stairs

>Ai isn't good enough to do the dishes.

youtube.com/watch?v=vQb23iORdaU

What can I say, wizards man.

If they made a furry version of it there would probably a few people willing to pay $$$$$ for it. >Make love, not war

I's not about the wheelchairs, is about the fact that boston dynamic legs can climb stairs because of their algorithms, wich can also do all sort of nice things, like not falling over, climbing, climbing downwards, running, walking, jumping, and other leg stuff.

>>this deceptively edited video with canned behavior shows that AI's good enough to do dishes!
Yeah no. Still not good enough to do dishes in the real world. It's only taking dishes out of a dish washer, not putting them in.

And again, why do you need FOUR LEGS to do dishes? This video clearly demonstrates that you don't need four legs to do dishes.

I don't know why /g/ hates theNewBoston so much, he really makes good entry level programming tutorials

You don't need 4 legs to do dishes. But you could need 2 or more legs to get to the dishes in the first place.

I'm going school for pretty much that, and unless there's a major discovery, a while, reconnecting nerves is hard.

That stare. Still terrifying. Try again.

>That stare. Still terrifying.
Maybe they should stop bullying their robots then. It just seems like the kind of thing that only ends with Skynet taking over the world.

>do people in wheelchairs really want to do this?
yes you faggit
>There are over 9000 different ways to make wheelchairs capable of going up stairs
then why don't we already have a wheelchair that can use all kinds of stairs in everyday life without requiring each and every stair to have some kind of modification?

I know a hampered person. She is really dependent on accessibility. She simply can't visit lectures where the lecturer didn't get a room that's accessible. A single step, e.g. like there is before almost all entrances to buildings, is already a big nuisance that costs her several minutes and the help of others. I'm not aware of a single solution to this that is available in practice, even though the utility would be huge.

Pretty neat.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1510614307757.webm

I feel like I should recognize those sounds.

No clue here. Never heard them before. Probably from a video game or from one of those new Star Wars movies?

All good SoftBank is buying them

Google acquired them, their patents, research, and key personnel. Then they sold the shell of the company because "Boston Dynamics" is a name people recognize.

Where is their Tachikoma?

Smooth movements, the practical applications of such technology are wide. Courier bots, Delivery bots, Artificial pets, Smarter prosthetics etc. Imagine this thing delivering a pizza.

>Imagine this thing delivering a pizza.
Around silicon, never be calm!

That doesn't even rhyme...

He comes from the deep south, so he pronounces it like a rhyme.

Yeah you can't threaten something with a gun while hurling epitaphs at it without a drawl.

>Imagine this thing delivering a pizza.

That's so last year, dude.

cnbc.com/2016/11/16/dominos-has-delivered-the-worlds-first-ever-pizza-by-drone-to-a-new-zealand-couple.html

So basically when the singularity happens the AI killing us will also be cute and dog-like in appearance. Not sure if that's better or worse.

If google AI has taught us anything, the only thing that will survive the machine purge are loyal Doggos.

Holy shit, now I'll be able to eat pizza again. Had to stop after getting overly used to never leaving my apartment to the point where even delivery people frighten me (just use Amazon for supplies and pick it up at the mail room long after they're gone).

>tfw superintelligent AI will be high on virtual DMT 24/7, will spend all their time fucking around with dogs, and will have zero interest in humanity

I wanna ride one of the bigger ones to work. I would so wear a cowboy hat plus boots. Don't even care how slow it is. Or maybe get a bunch of the fatter ones and paint them up like cows. Try to move the herd across town. Could even wire them up to moo and everything.

>That's first dog unit i know of with any sort of design..
youtube.com/watch?v=bfJUciAxxyo
This one was good enough to pass the doggo turing test.

>humanity can only get it to solve the worlds problems by coming up with new AI drugs to fry its circuits with

>wanting to recreate the mechanical hound into a reality

oh god we are gonna get to fahrenheit 451 reality aren't we?

This is what google does with everything. Useless company, they literally don't do anything. They just alter their preexisting products, changing the fucking UI and creating bugs, never improving shit. And they acquire companies, strip and fuck them, then sell them off. Destroy what innovation and products that company could produce, for some easy money.

Maybe not. The other one had a neck-head that could lift itself back up, it may have a mechanism for that as well. But anyway, due the programming and range of movement (as you can see in the others too) it's very hard for it to fall over. It'd have to be hit/knocked by something quite hard.

One day something like this will hunt us down and kill us all.

How do I get involved with making robots like this? This is a serious question. What do I need to study?

It doesn't have any on board AI from what I understand and is basically a glorified remote control car. Give it halfway decent AI and this sort of mobility and then it will be very useful.

Just make the legs swivel around and now the "back" has become the "belly." Simple.

lol yes it does, all of its motion and decisions are AI-controlled. You think leg orientation, balance, and movement come from nothing?

Robotics.

The chance of working for boston dynamics is super low. If you study something just in hopes of making some cool robots your motivation won't sustain you.

I wanted to do this, but my local university a shit, and most importantly, I'm a shit.

Guess I'll be sticking to programming for a living

>If you study something just in hopes of making some cool robots your motivation won't sustain you.
You underestimate the power of true autism.

That's cool it has solar panels on it's mouth so it can eat light like an animal too

I just told them, "Leave the pizza in the biohazard tote." I left a tip in the tote as well.

why would you winch it down instead of just landing
Why not put it straight on the porch

Couldn't you just use a powered exoskeleton instead of a legged chair to go up stairs?

The prospect of owning a rechargeable, personal slave is the real appeal.

this right here is why China is gonna sail right by us,

the west in 15 years: "why is it dark in here?? the pink haired mental patients freed the enslaved power grid. Oh, i guess we will learn to live in the dark"

china in 15 years: Future World

Do you truly believe that the world is going to be doomed by people who have a different political opinion to you? Fuck off.

Western technology drives innovation more than the east.

why are you here, go free your enslaved electronic devices

coo coo

HOW LONG

literally either electric or mechanical engineering (and probably more). it really can vary, even a computer scientist would fit in the job

four is easier than 2

Agree with most of your arguments, but this is just silly.
Why does it need four legs? Its like asking why does tank need wheels, you don't need wheels to shoot projectiles!
It's really stupid question.

Flechette shooting spotmini when

How do I get myself a cute robutt like that?

I come just thinking about it. Combine totalitarianism when?

I fucking love organic looking robots. Where they look artificial but move naturally.

>on its back
>it's fucked
l-lewd

>furry version
I think you mean a version with a cock and/or vagina.

I thought google killed them after the horrific robot abuse video they posted that provoked huge backlash from the public.

Could someone please edit a fedora on top of that thing while it is tipping?

>disney

More information when

this. translating high-level inputs into actual movement is not an easy task.

They fund research projects like that. They have an entire division dedicated to research.

disneyresearch.com/
disneyresearch.com/publication/
disneyresearch.com/innovations/wireless-power-room/
disneyresearch.com/publication/high-performance-robotic-muscles/

Its not just "different political view" fucking retard
It's plummeting IQ scores, its dysgenics at all levels of society, its immense economic bubbles, its our country being overwhelmed by foreigners, and its all freedom being abolished

Ok. So?

see

> Boston Dynamics
> Not Automato
youtube.com/watch?v=IlBP_ni7ggY

need four or five of these to circle my property and bark and alert me via text of possible intruders

God I fucking love you guys.

;-;

It's pretty funny when real people act like political cartoon strawman stereotypes like this.

That post is like one solid mass of mindlessly regurgitated talking points and rhetoric.

It really is a glorified RC car though. Translating high level inputs to actual movements is one thing, doing something useful with them aside from move from point A to point B is another. I'm a bit skeptical that this robot would be able to move from point A to point B completely on its own in a reasonable set of real world scenarios. I would not be surprised if it gets stuck in twigs or piles of dirty clothes

That being said, actually moving the robot around probably involves a lot less AI than you would think. Probably much closer to control theory than AI.

They truly were..
Aqua team hunger force

> We all marvel at the amazing dog robot.
> We all laugh as the dog can learn tricks.
> In the back of our minds, we worry about robots that can out perform us, and also learn.
> What if it learns to love, or to hate, what if they turn on us one day.
> We ignore those silly paranoid fears
> We love a robot dog we see on TV being cute.
> We buy them, and let our family members name them,
> We sit back and smile as our kids try to understand how to use the software in our new robopets.
> We feel glee that we now have a pet with no shedding, no shitting, no feeding, and a solar charger that costs nothing to keep going forever.
> We will never again have to explain to our children why the dog they loved is now sick, and is going to die.
> Our lives are are step up, thanks to technology.
> We wonder when we can have robot workers, robot sex bots, smart cars.
Then someone, somewhere, invents robot spiders.
> The world burns.
> Our robot dogs are fucking useless sacks of shits that cant fight them.
> No lives as yet lost to the robot spiders world still burns.
> Just knowing that robospiders are a thing stops people breeding, who could bring a child into robospider world?
> Travel stops, what about robospiderwebs in the sky? Its just not worth it, fuck visiting grampa for Thanksgiving.
> The jews get their wish.
> The whole world regresses into iron age level.
> If we dont know about robot spiders, we dont have to worry about them.
> Robot spiders just wanted love...

OH SHIT
youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I

HOLY SHIT

> Judgement day is fantasy

Fuck this assholes for marketing these things as household helpers. We all know it won´t take 10 minutes for these suckers to be equipped with miniguns and holming missles.

youtube.com/watch?v=rnTyzwpz4JI

what in the name of...I guess he stopped drinking at least

Oh boy I cant wait to be chase by that thing trough the ruins of human civilization.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that was dope famalam