What am I in for?

What am I in for?

Tl;dr: it's worse to steal pears than have premarital sex

that's good advice

A changed life.

You can have premarital sex, it just must be anal. It's not the so much "can't have sex" as it is "can't break the hymen before sex". Or maybe I've been watching too many turkish films and I'm bending.

Definitely the latter.

No sex before marriage, period.

she can't get pregnant from the butt.

except anal

So, "dont' break the hymen" only applies for muslim sluts?

A better understanding of Catholic theology from the faith's foremost theologian and philosopher.

Muh Neoplatonism

Terrible one line quotes you see on Instagram.

Fucking terrible

stop right there

What if you aren't too interested in Christianity but just want a well-written historic autobiography?

this

Meh, Augustine was a more well-rounded guy.

A lot of it focuses on Gus' belief in God, so you'll be in for a ride.

Baptizing Aristotle.

Augustine was way too autistic, imo.

Do you prefer Plato or Aristotle?

If you prefer Plato, read Augustine.
If you prefer Aristotle, read Aquinas.

Why's that?
>INB4 Pear Tree Incident

This isn't bad. Holds true for me at least.

I was in a university class on St. Augustine's Confession taught by a student of the Chadwick, the translator of this edition. The professor though the translation was quite good, better than others, but he had some corrections to make. We went through the year going slide-by-slide through the Latin of Augustine. Undoubtedly, Book 10 of the Confessions is some of the best Latin ever written.

The work is not an autobiography, but a theological work in which Augustine recounts some stuff that happened to him, sort of, so he can convert people to Christianity and help people understand Catholicism - especially to encourage philosopher types to join via Platonics. It is also an attack on Manicheans, because Augustine - by his perspective - wasted 9 years of his life promoting Manicheanism. So Books 1-9 are sort of bio, while 10-12 are just straight theology.

this is the truth also if you pick the second option you're a turbopleb

>A better understanding of Catholic theology from the faith's foremost theologian and philosopher.

No. A self-written biography that would've probably found itself next to a greenfrog on Veeky Forums if written today? Yes.

This is incredibly true. It's a nearly perfect pairing, actually.

Aristotle/Aquinas = Pleb shit
Plato/Augustine = Patrish desu

Aristotle/Plato=patrish
Aquinas/Augustine=pleb

>i don't like what i don't understand

are you in my ancient ethics class at SFU? every fucking week I see threads about 'x' in perfect synchronicity with our syllabus.

I might be going fucking nuts tho

the problem was that the pear theft was apparently motivated by pure malice, everything else was 'at least' merely egoistic.

he was too retarded to write off the pear theft as egoism in the form of showing off for his degenerate vicious friends though

it's just shitty applied aristotle in which aristotle's "highest good" is replaced by "christ our lord"

>Highest good replaced by Christ is somehow "shitty"
You don't get any more plebeian than this. Go shoot heroin

>Not UBC

>Not Langara

Anybody has source on this cover art?

Are you daft?

The notion of radical evil doesn't exist in St. Augustine's theology. Taking cues from Neoplatonism, especially Plotinus, evil is not ground in an ontological presence, but merely lacks the presence of the good.

All evil mentioned in the Confessions point to a perversion of the good rather than the selection of evil: the baby who pushes his twin away so that he may suckle his mother longer; Augustine cheating in the games he played as a boy; Augustine lying about his sexual escapades; Augustine have sex; Augustine stealing the pear; the Catiline conspiracy.etc

The reason that the pear is so devastating - it parallels the story in Genesis; thus, it might be in fact a fiction - is because he did not want the pear, but wanted comradery with his friends. The tossing of the pear was the worse type of evil, because it was a pure expression of 'means to an end'. When Augustine engaged with premartial sex, he had one girl he kept returning to; he did not whore and toss women hither and thither. The fruits and means of those sins were maintained and cared for, while the pear had not been.

Yes. Anal is in fact war worse than regular premarital sex.

Gladiator fights are metal as fuck, therefore bad and you should feel bad for liking them.

Can confirm